Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Maks' Molds

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmost

Maks' handiwork is pretty damn nice. Too many years ago, I made my living putting joinery into custom yachts. So I know wood butchery. Here is the best I can say about Maks' work is take a look at this:

Maksmold1.jpg

When these two cleats that clamp the mold shut reach the ends of their threads, both cleats wind up dead perpendicular across the mold. Now, that's what I'd call careful attention to detail!

I waxed the threads with Skidmore's, both male and female. Skidmore's is intended to waterproof leather; but I figured a little beeswax would lube the wooden threads, and thus protect them:

Maksmold2.jpg

I set these on the hearth one evening, and that made the wax sink in nice.

Maksmold3.jpg

Fit and finish are pretty damn choice
Maksmold4.jpg

You could make a super long eight inch Churchill in this mold if you liked. I've made a couple 7+
Maksmold5.jpg

I figured this ought to be just right in the evening after work, is why I got it. I can pull out one binder leaf, one wrapper leaf, and a fist of filler. Wrap and bind one leftwards, the other rightwards, from the right and left wrapper halves. Don't have time on a week night to kick out a batch of ten; but two ought to fit the schedule.

Very nice mold. Fifty bucks includes shipping from Slovenia. Takes about two weeks to arrive... three days travel plus a week and a half sitting first in the Ljubljana post office then the New York post office.

Here's the best part: our resident garmaster Deluxe once sensibly advised that your hands will learn more by a small daily rolling jog than from a periodic rolling marathon. And this is a very true precept. The concert does not make the musician -- daily practice does. A two gar mold like this has proven instrumental in putting this precept into practice. Four or five times a week I find fifteen minutes to bunch a pair... one left handed from the one side of the leaf; the other right handed from the other. When I used to break out my ten slot mold I invariably felt bound to fill the thing up. Filling it up took an amount of time I could only make room for on weekends. Not this. I pull out one binder leaf, one wrapper leaf, a half dozen filler leaves, and they're in the mold before Bearswatter has dinner done. Put the plate in the sink, come back up and wrap them. Extremely convenient. Totally effective.

UppowocMaks.jpg

Get one.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Two thumbs up on the review--one thumb from the left side and one thumb from the right side. The wonders of nature's chiralities.

Bob

Smokin Harley

as both a hobbyist and professional wood worker , I am impressed by the router work and fit of both halves. I love the threaded wooden integral clamping . Quite an engineering. Nice job Maks.

Last edited by a moderator:

rainmax

Founding Member
Thanks guys. Webmost, I like your Bled-Slovenia band on the cigar. I will send you few tobacco leaves from Cuba for nice review; to you too, Bob.
I'm already speaking with Don for some molds. I hope that they will be available in WLT soon.

Few molds left from the last batch !!!

webmost

Thanks guys. Webmost, I like your Bled-Slovenia band on the cigar. I will send you few tobacco leaves from Cuba for nice review; to you too, Bob.
I'm already speaking with Don for some molds. I hope that they will be available in WLT soon.

Maks, do you have a nice digital pic of a pletnja that I could turn into a band? Need something long & panoramic; or at least long that could be trimmed panoramic, to fit the shape of a band. I am a boat guy, so I would love the next Maks cigar batch to bear a pletnja band.

Question: Do they row these boats or scull them? Looking at the fellow standing in back, I suspect he may be sculling with two oars. But, usually, if the oarsman were sculling, he'd be facing aft and using one oar. On the other hand, rowing like that facing forward with two oars would be mighty awkward.

In English, "sculling" is when the oarsman weaves the oar in a figure eight motion & the oar never leaves the water. It's a very efficient and peaceful method of propulsion, but requires a skillful wrist. Anyone can row or paddle badly; but it takes practice to scull at all. Gondoliers scull.

My 52' schooner Eurydice had no engine ... just one scull.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member

I'll list your molds as soon as they are shipped. I'm looking forward to offering them on my site. It might be a good time for me to create a starter kit for cigar rolling

Charly

Very nice molds !
They seem very well crafted.
Very good idea to have the lock up system directly in the design !

rainmax

Founding Member
Do they row these boats or scull them? Looking at the fellow standing in back, I suspect he may be sculling with two oars. But, usually, if the oarsman were sculling, he'd be facing aft and using one oar. On the other hand, rowing like that facing forward with two oars would be mighty awkward.

They are sculling with two oars. It is heavy job and only few families on Bled has the right to do that job. The rights belongs to families with poor arable land and it was granted from Maria Theresa. Tradition continues I believe and goes from one generation to another.

pletna0.jpg

This man is Marjan Zvegelj. Hi inherited this job after his grandfather. He is well known in the Bled lake and in his 30 years career he hosted Hillary Clinton, Prince Edvard, Gorbačov and many others..

So here is Pletna I like:
Spletna2.jpg

webmost

They are sculling with two oars. It is heavy job and only few families on Bled has the right to do that job. The rights belongs to families with poor arable land and it was granted from Maria Theresa. Tradition continues I believe and goes from one generation to another.

View attachment 20067

This man is Marjan Zvegelj. Hi inherited this job after his grandfather. He is well known in the Bled lake and in his 30 years career he hosted Hillary Clinton, Prince Edvard, Gorbačov and many others..

So here is Pletna I like:
View attachment 20068

Have not seen a scull with a Tee handle like that. Got be be co-ordinated to keep both shafts snug against both tholes. Love that stuff.

Or to spell it in Slovenian: Ljovje thjatje stjuffje.

webmost

Bump this. Just cracked into a box of Uppowoc Maks, made in this mold last March. Sublime.

Get yourself a Maks mold. Solid unit. Don carries them not at w l t.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I'll repeat these photos as a refresher on the quality of these two-cigar molds from rainmax (sold at WLT):

Garden20161117_2378_MaksCigarMold_open_500.jpg

Garden20161117_2376_MaksCigarMold_top_500.jpg

Garden20161117_2377_MaksCigarMold_foot_500.jpg

Garden20161117_2379_MaksCigarMold_openHeadDet_500.jpg

Garden20161117_2380_MaksCigarMold_openFootDet_500.jpg

They just don't come any nicer, and this mold is a perfect size (and cigar count) for home-rolling cigars.

Bob

webmost

Bump this. Just cracked into a box of Uppowoc Maks, made in this mold last March. Sublime.

Get yourself a Maks mold. Solid unit. Don carries them not at w l t.

Spall czech cant spill.

I was sittin on the throne in the gentleman's reading room when I posted the above from my tablet. I wrote "Don carries them now at WLT" but apparently spoil chuck changed that to read "Don carries them not at w l t.". He does carry them. At WLT.

Status
Not open for further replies.