Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cuban Cigars Seem Over-Rated

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSG

Hey guys,

I haven't had a lot of Cuban cigars -- maybe 5 or so -- but to me they do not seem incredibly special. I understand that they are relatively difficult to get, especially for people not in South Florida, such as myself. However, besides their distinctive cedary taste, they seem like nearly any other cigar.

What I mean by this is that other countries such as the DR, Nicaragua, Honduras, etc. have their own distinct flavors. However, these other countries do not garner the same praise, even though there is nothing wrong with their cigars.

It is my belief that people 'oooh and ahhh' over Cuban cigars simply because they are Cuban, and not because they are truly any better than a well-made cigar from anywhere else. As a matter of fact, I tend to prefer Nicaraguan cigars over most others as a general rule, Cubans included.

Would you guys agree with this assessment, or am I missing something about the whole Cuban cigar thing?

Thanks for your time!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Your sample size is rather small for generalizing. Over the past decades, I've smoked entire boxes of Cuban cigars, many singles, and a few likely fakes. Some of these boxes were purchased in Canada, Spain, Great Britain, Germany, Saudi Arabia and Switzerland (specifically from Davidoff's on Rue de Rive in Geneva). All of them were beautifully constructed cigars. Some tasted kind of crummy (e.g. Por Larrañaga), but most were very nice. I can usually recognize the distinct aroma of a Cuban cigar. On the negative side, I consider most of them to be stronger than they really need to be.

The Cuban cigar folks who fled Cuba when the cigar factories were nationalized were the very people who set up the excellent cigar factories in Tampa, The Canaries, the Dominican Republic, Honduras, Nicaragua and a number of other Central and South American countries. So it's not surprising that many of these factories make well constructed cigars.

The soils are different from one another, as well as from the various growing regions of Cuba. Honduras and Nicaragua are immediate neighbors, like North Carolina and South Carolina, but Habano leaf from Honduras is consistently different from Habano leaf from Nicaragua. (I prefer the former, but that's irrelevant.) When the cigar leaf industry was flourishing in Honduras, Nicaragua was busy with a revolution, which destroyed many of the tobacco plantations. That all had to be rebuilt. But Nicaraguan cigar leaf always tastes "heavier" to me, and has since the early 1970s.

Asking if cigar A is "better" than cigar B is a matter of personal preference. The Corojo 99 cigar made by Robaina (in Cuba) is rich and delicious. If you handed one to me, and said that it was Nicaraguan, I would be suspicious based on the unlit aroma alone. Once lit, the Robaina is recognizable as distinctly not Nicaraguan.

SUMMARY: Cuban cigars are generally excellent (unless you buy the cheapies or counterfeits), and are recognizably distinct in taste and aroma from cigars made of tobacco grown elsewhere.

But that's just my opinion.

Bob

RSG

So, correct me if I am wrong, but there is nothing truly special about a Cuban cigar besides it's distinct flavor, similar to how other countries have their own flavors, correct?

I was wondering if they tend to be better made than others, and maybe that's why they are so sought after. Besides the fact that people seem to enjoy the Cuban flavor, of course.

Also, is the corojo 99 on WLT similar to Cuban corojo 99?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Even in humans, emotional assessments (e.g. like, love, attractive, disgusting, unpleasant) are deeply rooted in the olfactory portions of the brain. The smell of Grandma's kitchen, Father's pipe, your favorite restaurant, all evoke olfactory memory. The first genuine Havana cigars that I ever smoked were the absolute finest cigars that I had ever smoked, up to that time. We have a history, Cuban cigars and me.

So "just" a distinct flavor and aroma are really important to those familiar with them.

Bob

RSG

That makes good sense.. so would you be inclined to say that older cigar smokers such as yourself may be more attracted to Cuban cigars, where younger smokers like me (only 20) do not have that same connection, and thus are not as enamered by them (except because of the crazy buzz that they naturally bring)?

Charly

I don't know if Cuban Cigars are over-rated (I do not read much magazine about cigars), the embargo and the old stories about Cuba probably impact human judgment about it... so they might be.

I live in France, where Cuban Cigars are easier to find than other country's cigars (Nicaragua, Honduras, ...), and I had been lucky enough to smoke many different cigars from Cuba (a little bit more than a hundred I think), and I have to say that this is my favorites Country taste and flavor wise.

BUT Cuban cigars are far from perfect !!! Cuba is probably the worst country if you look at the regularity, and the construction of their cigars : I had some boxes, or some cigars from the same boxes that were not the same at all... (some fantastics, some corrects, and some crap......)
I had A LOT of cigars that were completly impossible to draw :( some are too tight, some are too loose... no regularity at all.
But when they are good ... they give me a lot of pleasure !
What I like in Cuban cigars : taste/flavor (and complexity and evolution of taste/flavor during the smoke), "creaminess"...

Whereas I feel that other country (Nicaragua, Honduras, Dominican Republic...) are more regular in their production (when you buy several cigars from the same box, they offer very close experience in taste, draw...).
I smoked cigars from Nicaragua that were really delicious too, I liked especialy the cocoa/earthiness, and some were creamy also !
AND I had nearly no cigar that were unsmokable (because of lack of draw).

One of the country that impressed me the less is Dominican Republic, maybe I only smoked bad cigars ? but I feel that they all were tasteless, too light :(

But it's all a matter of personnal preferences :) YMMV

rainmax

Founding Member
I'm fan of Nicaragua taste. Specially Padron. But all from Nicaragua I smoke are the best smokes for me. Cuba is something different. Potent tobacco which gives you buzz or kick or what ever you say is of course Cuban. Like Charly said you can get loose cigars or roles to tight. Thats speciality of Cubans. You can not count on consistency there even when some people or government trying hard to deliver the best quality. You can also find a lot of fakes all around the world and even in Cuban Casas de Habano. At one store In one box I saw to many different colors of same vitola which is impossible cause in the factory have so many quality controls. I have experience that I buy six cigars in same shop and they give me recipe for only three cigars. So I give them opportunity to change that three cigars with fakes. Cubans do that often and you need to understand that monthly salary is approximately 40$. He took 30$ for that tree cigars. I found that out later when I was at my hotel already. I always double check cigars I bought and prefer to by new closed boxes. And you need to know that nobody countrified culebras, Ramon Allones,....The most they do Cohibas and Romeo&julietas,...

So RSG from Florida. If Cuban cigar didn't give you that feeling be sure that you smoke fakes....
I have smoked few Partagas D4 in Cuba this year. Tasty, delicious, creamy, heavy,... big buzz after only an inch of this cigar.
If you will have opportunity to try it you will be addicted and in heaven. Thats my opinion. It cost 7$+ in Cuba 10Euro + in europe. On the street 1-5$ for crap...

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I'd like to try a good one, one day. Not a big deal either way though. I'd also like to try a fancy wine, expensive liquor etc just to see the fuss.

RSG

My experience, albeit limited, seems a lot like Charley's. Some of the cigars were fantastic, while others were constructed poorly when it came to the draw and the tightness of the packing (I.e. soft spots). However, as macks states, the flavor of the cigars can be really, really rich and wonderful. Not only this, but they are unlike any others.

This all said, you can find cigars from other countries that are equally as good or better depending on your preference. So, as I understand it, there is nothing better in quality about the Cuban tobacco per se, other than taste, right? I know that their government regulates the cigar business over there, and I thought it might lead to some better quality leaf or final product. Not that government can ever do anything right.. but is this not the case? Unless, of course, you really enjoy Cuban tobacco?

Smokin Harley

Cuban cigars I think have more of the rarity stigma because of the embargo. The more something is considered off-limits , the more some people want it.
I have run into people who say they will only smoke a Cuban because "they're the best" I think these people fall into the false idea of the "off limits" stigma. I also think if this is true , these people are turning their backs on some quality tobacco. Try all you can ,everyones taste is different.What you taste depends a lot on the meal you just had ,or what beverage you drink with it, lots of other variable factors too long to list. Make a blind taste test for yourself before you decide . Life is short . No regrets,right?
Kind of like people who say Chevy/Ford ,John Deere/Farmall, Sony/Zenith, Coke/Pepsi , Jack Daniels/Jim Beam, etc or whatever is the best. Depending on what you need , what you like ,past personal experience and depth of your wallet...Its an opinion and nothing more.
If I have about $30 burning a hole in my pocket I tend to buy more Nicaraguan but I wouldn't turn down a Cuban ...or Dominican, or Honduran...

DIY Pete

People like things for lots of reasons and some of those reasons are just plain weird. Maybe 40% of the cigars I smoke are Cuban and I do really like them. I also really like Fuente products. Tatuaje is another favorite along with many others.

I find that CC are the best cigars period when you get a good one. However I have far more constructions issues with CC's than all my other cigars combined. When I sit down with a smoke I want to just relax and enjoy time with the rest of the world turned off and I don't want to piss around with a stick that won't burn or is like trying to eat ice cream with a straw.

Pete

Old#12

My wife and I had the great fortune to go on a Mediterranean cruise 2 summers ago so I had the opportunity to smoke some Cubans most of which I purchased in Barcelona. I loved the Punches and RyJs but I still had some burn and draw issues. For those who roll their own cigars and like the flavor of Cubans, try adding a 1/2 or whole leaf of Vuelta Abajo to your favorite blend. You won't be disappointed.

mwaller

My wife and I had the great fortune to go on a Mediterranean cruise 2 summers ago so I had the opportunity to smoke some Cubans most of which I purchased in Barcelona. I loved the Punches and RyJs but I still had some burn and draw issues. For those who roll their own cigars and like the flavor of Cubans, try adding a 1/2 or whole leaf of Vuelta Abajo to your favorite blend. You won't be disappointed.

Question for those who grow their own - which other varieties seem to produce the most Cuban-like flavors?Are there particular varieties that produce "creamier" smoke than others?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Cuban-like flavors (in no particular order):
  • Vuelta Abajo
  • Havana 322
  • Machu Picchu Havana
  • Criollo (Cuba) Ti 1376
  • Coroja (Cuba) Pi 405643
  • Corojo 99
  • Comstock Spanish
I'll let others comment on tobacco tasting like food.

Bob

Charly

Coool, it means that if everything goes as planned, I should get some decent "cuban tasting" cigars soon ! :) Happy Happy Happpyyyy ! :D
By the way, does anyone knows what strain(s) gives cocoa flavors like in some nicaragua cigars ?

Gavroche

Charles...saurez vous faire le mûrissement à la cubaine sans moisir ? ça semble compliqué.

Charles will know how to be made the ripening in the Cuban without making(becoming) mouldy? That seems complicated.

Charly

Hard question, what do you mean by "ripening like the cuban" ? Are you talking about the time you let the leaves on the plants (before harvesting) or are you talking about fermentation ?

Question difficile, qu'entends-tu par "mûrissement à la cubaine" ? Veux tu parler de la durée pendant laquelle les feuilles vont rester sur le pied (avant récolte) ou bien de la fermentation ?

Smokin Harley

Hey guys,

I haven't had a lot of Cuban cigars -- maybe 5 or so -- but to me they do not seem incredibly special. I understand that they are relatively difficult to get, especially for people not in South Florida, such as myself. However, besides their distinctive cedary taste, they seem like nearly any other cigar.

What I mean by this is that other countries such as the DR, Nicaragua, Honduras, etc. have their own distinct flavors. However, these other countries do not garner the same praise, even though there is nothing wrong with their cigars.

It is my belief that people 'oooh and ahhh' over Cuban cigars simply because they are Cuban, and not because they are truly any better than a well-made cigar from anywhere else. As a matter of fact, I tend to prefer Nicaraguan cigars over most others as a general rule, Cubans included.

Would you guys agree with this assessment, or am I missing something about the whole Cuban cigar thing?

Thanks for your time!
I've had the pleasure of having a few Cuban cigars . I've had a LOT of cigars made elsewhere and I tend to agree with you . I think Cuban cigars are fantastic ,at least the ones I've had.
BUT, Cigars are like beer. Everyone has a favorite ,an opinion and everyone has different taste and budget. Some guys like English style ales ,some guys like IPA's , some like stouts and complex flavors,etc just like cigars made in whatever countries or factories. Others like Miller Lite ,Bud and Coors or as in cigars from Cohiba, Punch,RyJ, to El Producto ,Dutch Masters or Philly's . Maybe thats all they can afford. Doesn't matter as long as the guy smoking it ,likes it.
As long as you like what you have in your hand is all that really counts. If and when you get the chance to buy and try a fancy or expensive cigar (or beer) give it a go and pay that extra $10 a stick. Worst thing is that you don't like it . Ok, don't have that one anymore. But, you just might find you do like it and then you can expand your comfort zone of taste.
Is a Cuban cigar really the best? Thats a total matter of opinion.
BTW, I'm kind of partial to a Perdomo

mwaller

Excellent info, Bob! Do you have tasting notes for any of these varieties?

Cuban-like flavors (in no particular order):
  • Vuelta Abajo
  • Havana 322
  • Machu Picchu Havana
  • Criollo (Cuba) Ti 1376
  • Coroja (Cuba) Pi 405643
  • Corojo 99
  • Comstock Spanish
I'll let others comment on tobacco tasting like food.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.