Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

has anyone used salt to treat their tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryccf

i keep meaning to try it but haven't yet. From time to time in other tobacco forums i've seen reference to salt being used to "sweeten" tobacco - has anyone had any experience or tried this?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I'm sure the reference was in regards to smokeless tobacco, not cigarette.

larryccf

no, it was in reference to both pipe and cigarette tobacco

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen suggestions to use a salt and ethanol mixture to remove tars from a pipe bowl, but the mess has to be thoroughly cleaned out prior to smoking the pipe again. This process is sometimes referred to as "sweetening the pipe." It doesn't sweeten anything. It just de-gunks the pipe bowl.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

I have seen suggestions to use a salt and ethanol mixture to remove tars from a pipe bowl, but the mess has to be thoroughly cleaned out prior to smoking the pipe again. This process is sometimes referred to as "sweetening the pipe." It doesn't sweeten anything. It just de-gunks the pipe bowl.

Bob

Exactly. A chronically dirty pipe is considered "sour", and the salt treatment "sweetens" it.

Charly

Bob

The salt + alcool treatment is usefull when your pipe is too dirt or when the taste of the tobacco you smoked lingers too much in the pipe
I've done this a few times with old pipes which had bad taste, and it give them a new youth :)

Status
Not open for further replies.