Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Charly's journey - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Nice work. You can estimate the required kilning time (~1 month continuous @ 125ºF) by how many hours the heat is up to temperature each day. Eight hours daily would translate to 3 months per batch.

Bob

mwaller

Excellent work, Charly! Let us know how it works for you.
I've been very happy with my Inkbird controller. It's been running continuously for several months without trouble.

A few weeks ago, I finally found enough time to build my first kiln !
The kiln I made is a "dry" kiln and is only designed to maintain the right temperature.
The different tobaccos are placed in jars, in medium/low case, and then I put the jars in the kiln.

I tried to used what I already had at home :
- an old wooden box I had in my garage (52 x 55 x 100cm),
- a power supply of an old computer, and some fans of old computers too,
- some old electrical cables (and some old RCA connectors),
- a spot light (200W),
- an old bathroom fan,
- some angle braces.
- some black painting sprays (because the old painting outside the box was old and not nice enough :) )

I bought what I had not at home :
- some extruded insulation boards (XPS),
- some glue for XPS boards,
- some wood strips,
- a particle board (plywood) for the door,
- some chicken wire mesh,
- some adhesive door seal,
- 3 box lock and 3 hinges,
- some screws and other small materials.

And finally, I ordered the thermostat "Inkbird ITC-308" (http://www.ink-bird.com/products-temperature-controller-itc308.html) to control the heat source.

Here are a few pictures to show what I've done :

First, the box :

View attachment 22772 View attachment 22773 View attachment 22774 View attachment 22775 View attachment 22776

Then, the shelves :
View attachment 22770 View attachment 22771

Then, everything together :
View attachment 22767 View attachment 22768 View attachment 22769

I've decided to make two separated electrical circuits :
- the first circuit controled by the thermostat, turns on the heat source (my 200W spot light) and the big bathroom fan blowing on it only when needed,
- and a second circuit controling the 3 small fans (I may add others if needed), running all day long to distribute the same temperature everywhere.

For now, I am quite happy with my kiln, it runs very well, I am eager to see if I can get some really good baccy out of there !

I have to say that the Inkbird thermostat is really easy to plug and use, I wanted something easy and reliable, I think it is.

As I prefer to go safe I run the kiln only when I am at home and awake. I put it off every night and each time I am out of my house.
This way, kilning might take longer, but the leaves will have some time to rest each day. Maybe this time will shorten the "resting time" recommanded after 4 weeks of continuous kilning, what do you think ?

I really want to thank everyone on this forum for sharing their knowledge and being so kind, without you I would never have thought I could grow and smoke my own tobacco !
Next step is to achieve some really outstanding tobacco ! I already had some nice leaves from last year, and had some nice mild cigars from the semois strain, but I would like to create some more tasty/complexe smokes (most of my leaves were somewhat light in taste last year) !

Charly

Nice work. You can estimate the required kilning time (~1 month continuous @ 125ºF) by how many hours the heat is up to temperature each day. Eight hours daily would translate to 3 months per batch.

Bob

Thank you very much Bob, all the informations and help you shared with me (along with other's help) were very important, I would never have build a kiln myself if I did not had FTT and it's members. :)
Yes, I keep a log with every time I turn on and off the kiln, this way I know where I am ;)
I plan on trying some leaves over the course of the kilning duration, to see how they evolve !

Charly

Excellent work, Charly! Let us know how it works for you.
I've been very happy with my Inkbird controller. It's been running continuously for several months without trouble.

Thanks Mwaller ;)
The Inkbird controller seems very accurate, I have two thermometers inside the kiln to check if everything works fine, and for now it is :)
Yes, I will share more informations as soon as I'll try my leaves further ;)

greenmonster714

Great looking setup Charly. Ya obviously been doin yet homework. Anxious to see what the first batch turns out. I hope I can throw something together by next fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.