Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Re: Charly's journey - 2017

lol

That's a good joke
    We could misunderstand if I say : "my pants are small, but they will grow fast soon enough !"

Quote Originally Posted by Charly View Post
    That's a good joke
    We could misunderstand if I say : "my pants are small, but they will grow fast soon enough !"
    Well, I do wish my pants grow in proportion of my waist size. They don't keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftynick View Post
    Well, I do wish my pants grow in proportion of my waist size. They don't keep up.
    I have the same problem...

This morning, I gave my tobacco their first "hair cut", only on some strains I begun in january, to see how they will response to this aggression
    picture before :
    crop1.jpg

picture after :
    crop2.jpg

what was removed :
    crop3.jpg

I did the same on some plants I transplanted yesturday in new pots. Their leaves were floppy so I thought they were loosing too much water (or I might have damaged the roots and they cannot get enough water...), I will see if it was a good idea soon enough

They look healthy and happy Charly. How are the other plants doing? I think I remember you saying you've got about 200 going.

I did my first trim a while back (4/7) and it did seem to boost the plants growth. Or maybe its just the direct sunshine and temps in the 80's. Some of them could use another trim. I'm guessing that the 1st of May I should be able to set out the first ones I germinated on 3/5. A 3oz cup toppled over the other day and it had a nice set of roots going.

It's been a while since you trimmed those.
    How they doing now? If you've had them in the same soil all this time do you think they may need a small dose of nutrients? I fed mine right after I trimmed and they went crazy. Would like to see how yours are doing.

Hi GreenMonster, thank you for asking news
    I have been very busy these last weeks, and I spent a lot of time in my "allowed place to grow tobacco of the garden", it's a place where the ground is just full of rubble.
    It was put there a few decades ago, when a big creamery nearby was destroyed.... and this part of my garden is just a big mess of rubble...
    With bricks, concrete, big pieces of wall...

All hand tilled and digged... hard and time consuming...
    Here are some pictures of what I dug from the ground, and you can see the trunk I have still have to get out :

cropB.jpgcropA.jpgcropC.jpg

On the first picture, the small brick is 10x20cm.
    So exhausting...

Now on the seedlings : they are growing, I hope I can put some in the ground in one week.

The seedlings I trimmed on the last post had some problems a week ago, there was a very windy day, and there were outside... and they pretend they were wind mill (literaly, they screwed on their base...)... half of them are not in a good shape, I gave them a strong hair cut (see the white circle) :

cropD.jpg
    These are the plants I begun in january ! still not very big, but they are far big enough to go in the ground.

Some of the younger seedlings were hurt too, but not that much.
    They are growing fine

Oh man, you have one difficult plot to prepare. Is there good soil left after you excavate all that junk? That last pic of the ground doesn't look to bad at all. Is that a tree stump or a pole? So, I figure you will dig as deep around it and cut it off? To bad ya can't find any dynamite..lol. You said before that it was hard work but now I see why.

To bad ya can't find a place that can deliver a few truckloads of good top soil. That would save you some time and a few blisters n back aches.

Those seedlings are looking great. You should be in the dirt very soon. Thanks for sharing this. I been wondering how your grow has come along.

I might one day add a truck of good soil, but with the quantity I need, it will cost... And if I put some soil, I want it to be really good soil, not a soil in which there was pesticides or chemicals... So it's not for now

The trunk is a real tree, we cut it a few weeks ago (it was a 16m high fir), in fact, this tree was there before they put all the rubble, and the trunk is going far deep in the ground, so I am removing as much ground around, and I will cut it as deep as I can.

Once I remove all the junk I can, I manage to have a somewhat correct soil (not good, but correct), I plan on adding a lot of fertilization, since it's a poor soil.
    At least it has a very good drainage

Thanks

With a little bit of mortar, you could have yourself a sturdy, stone curing shed.

I have one bed that runs alongside my old farmhouse. The previous resident (over a period of decades) tossed everything from a non-electric clothes iron to old siding shingles into that area. I've been here for nearly 18 years, yet I continue to dig up strange debris from that bed.

My one bed 40 feet behind the house used to be an enclosed animal pen of some sort. Apparently that is where they chose to bury all their dead dogs over the years. So, in that bed, I still turn up a dog scapula here, a dog vertebra there, and a few tiny, antique glass bottles.

Archaeologists revel in exploring old middens. It's a reminder that the things we "dispose of" are still just sitting there.

Your tree stump looks very alive. After you finish cutting it, you may want to pour a stump killer chemical onto the exposed surface, to prevent the stump from continuing to draw nutrients from the soil.

Bob

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast