Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Re: Charly's journey - 2017

Thank you guys for the kind words

Even if many plants are infected, I know I will still have some good leaves to discover and enjoy !
    And with all the strains I tried this year, I found some that seems to be more resistant to these diseases, that's a good thing (I will wait for the end of the season to see which strains are really resistant !)

The main thing that make me sad is that nearly all the cigar varieties I tried seem to have real troubles with PVY (only Nostrano del Brenta and Bahia seem to have little to no problems).
    I will have to find some good solutions for next year, and I will try many other strains, in order to find the strains that works the best in my place.

Yes, even imidacloprid would not be enough... the only solution I can see for the PVY is to have a good repellent (I hope neetle manure will work... but I won't know before next year).

Even with all your challenges it looks like you'll get some nice leaf this year. Nice grow charly

Your Amersfoort seems to be healthy. In the early days these leafs were dark air cured and used for cigar leafs in the Netherlands. Maybe not such a bad idea with many of your cigar varieties not making it to more healthier days...

Thanks.
    Yes, this year gave me some challenges !

I know I will still have some good leaves, but curing is not easy this year either... I have some strains that doesn't want to color cure correctly (Jalapa for example, which is drying green...) and some others who have already some mold on it...
    I am discovering that the right conditions for some are not good for some others... well, I am learning

The Amersfoort are doing pretty well (compared to other cigar varieties), I hope they will cure correctly (I will air cure them).

I will have fun mixing varieties to try to make some good smoke !

Hello Charles!
    I hope that the weather has improved in your region.
    I searched the forum for a picture of leaf with starting mold (mold that come early during color curing) but didn't find it. Could you upload one, if you have the time and if you can make a picture representative of what you are used to observe?
    I have a piece of leaf that has become dark before turning yellow and that seems suspicious.
    Of course, I do not wish you to have any new examples but… !!

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617