Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Re: Charly's journey - 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Charly View Post
    @ChinaVoodoo and Tutu : I agree with both of you, I don't think it's too cold, especially for this year we have unusual very hot weather (this week, we had about 35°C = 95°F... hard to stand... I even got some burnt leaves, I'll show some pics soon)
    It might be that Besuki and Kasturi might love other conditions (right temperature and right humidity and right sun... and maybe right soil too).
    They are growing, slower than the others, but we'll have to wait to see what size they can catch later this season.

@GreenMonster : If you want some seeds of Besuki I will send you some
    Thanks Charly. I will definitely get back to you on that this winter. Here I am trying to cull down my list for next year and POOF...I add another..lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    How is the Nostrano doing Charly? I'm curious because it seems very sensitive to different growing conditions...
    Hello Pier
    The Nostrano seeds you gave me are doing very well !
    They are the first plants I put in the ground this year
    The 6 plants below were germinated in early januar to make a test (I put them in the ground 5 weeks ago) :
    crop1.jpg
    The biggest leaf measures 41 x 29cm (16 x 11 inches)

And these were put in the ground the last (seeds germinated in march, put in the ground only 10 days ago) :
    crop2.jpg

I am eager to see how they will smoke
    Thanks for sharing these seeds

Quote Originally Posted by greenmonster714 View Post
    Thanks Charly. I will definitely get back to you on that this winter. Here I am trying to cull down my list for next year and POOF...I add another..lol.
    With pleasure !
    There is ALWAYS something interesting to try !

I think you will find Nostrano del Brenta to be completely unique and delightfully smooth and mild.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    I think you will find Nostrano del Brenta to be completely unique and delightfully smooth and mild.
    I am eager to see this !!
    For now, the Nostrano plants are beautifull and they are beginning to smell a nice aroma (very different from some other strains)

Some news of the garden

Recently, since the sun finally reduced in intensity (and the temperature dropped a little), bugs seem to want to eat my plants : I found some "Heteroptera" ("punaise" in french) laying eggs on my leaves (see bellow), then I found some aphids (more on that later), a few catterpillars...

crop1.jpg crop2.jpg
    These Heteroptera criters do not eat tobacco, they suck it, like the aphids.

crop3.jpg
    A small caterpillar already in chrysalis, after a good diner

About the aphids : they seem to be the principal insect that infect plants with a virus called PVY (Potatoe Virus Y), this virus is frequent in France, I already had a few plants infected last year...
    This year, I noticed the first symptoms on a few plants : the veins of the leaves begin to yellow ("vein clearing"), then some brown spots can appear on the leaves, then the veins necroses.
    "Infected leaves are sometimes small, crinkled and curled".

crop4.jpg
    This picture was taken last year, the symptoms this year are the same...

More on this virus : http://ephytia.inra.fr/en/C/10814/To...to-virus-Y-PVY

I used some soapy water a few days back to try to kill as many aphids as I can, I just hope I won't have too many affected plants...
    I am preparing some nettle manure right now (I will have to wait 2 weeks before it can be used), it's a strong fertilizer and a renowned bug repeller (I just don't know why I did not prepare some earlier this year...)

More on nettle manure : http://www.gardeningdata.co.uk/soil/nettle_manure.php

Next years I will have to be more foresighted...

I will see in the end of the season which strains are more tolerant to PVY (last year, only the "401 cherry red" were infected, the semois and the rustica did not show any symptom)

On the good news, my tobacco is growing well
    Some plants are beginning to be big, with beautifull leaves. The biggest leave (from a Pennsylvania Red plant) is already 54x34cm = 21x13")

I think only 401 cherry red affected because bug seems to attack flue cure variety first before other. I might be wrong though.

I don't think so, because I had A LOT more aphids on my rustica than on my cherry red
    Some strains are resistant to some diseases, some have been crossed to get resistance for some diseases.
    In France, we used to grow some PVY resistant strains (like the "Paraguay" strain)

I have read somewhere that bright leaf strains are more sensitive to PVY.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213