Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Re: Charly's journey - 2017

Hard to believe those aren't growing fast. I hope they take off soon for ya.

I was very sure that I had responded to these last posts, but apparently that post did not get through.
    First of all, it's impressive to see the difference in size between the Nostrano, the Kasturi, and the Besuki (it really is an "s" and not a "z". Besoeki is the name given to the administrative district in which Jember is situated during colonial times. The spelling was later changed to it's Indonesian form, which is Besuki. Being Dutch, I've got to be strict here.). It is even more interesting considering that I was unable to get germinated Nostrano seedlings into adulthood in Indonesia. That may have been due to my neglect, but it must be said that other varieties did just fine during the same period. I had thought that the Nostrano may not have liked the high humidity. My Amersfoort plants in Indonesia struggle less with this issue. Still, I prefer seeing pictures of Amersfoort plants growing in Europe, rather than in Indonesia. That is why I'm glad that I've managed to plant four plants in Utrecht at my friends house, in the province where it was grown for decades. I'm drifting off. Your Amersfoort looks decent. But I'm even more excited that you got some Samporis going. I'm pretty sure you're the only forum member growing it. I haven't been able to myself. Once every now and then I pass by some Samporis fields. This is the stuff where they make rajangan from in East Java. The Kasturi Angsa is small, but I hope it will become a good adult plant. The leafs will have a peculiar shape. Angsa means swan. The Besuki is indeed not doing great, but you've got so many varieties going that you need not to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tutu View Post
    it really is an "s" and not a "z". Besoeki is the name given to the administrative district in which Jember is situated during colonial times. The spelling was later changed to it's Indonesian form, which is Besuki. Being Dutch, I've got to be strict here.
    Haha You are right... sorry for the bad spelling... I don't know why I switched from Besuki to Bezuki.... It is correctly noted in my files

About the Besuki and the Kasturi Angsa (and the Samporis in a lesser degree too) I too find it very interesting to see how these strains don't seem to like our european climate, I am sure they will grow more (they have plenty of time to do so), I will follow their growth with interest and report what they will become I am not worried
    I would be happy if the Besuki and the Kasturi give me seeds, to see if they can acclimate themselves in a few years.

I am proud to be the only one growing Maesan Samporis When you say you haven't been able to grow it yourself, do you mean that the seeds did not germinate ? From my notes, I see that it had a very good germination rate (about 100% of the seeds sprouted).
    If the Maesan Samporis is used for the "rajangan", I will try to give it a try
    If I understand correctly, it is some kind of bright leaf.

The difference with the Nostrano is huge, but keep in mind that the Nostrano was already in full ground for a month
    With all the works I had with my soil, it took me a long time to put all the plants in the ground, so there is a lot of difference between the plants

I have a sneaking suspicion that its too cold here in Europe for them. There's been a heat wave here the last few days (by UK standards) and my Besuki and Katsuri have both come to life a bit more (although are still lagging their peers). Might post some pics if I get a chance

If it's just the lack of heat, then they will never grow more than this year (we have very high temperature for a few weeks already)
    In "normal" years the weather is less hot and less dry.

For now I will let them grow as much as they can we'll see in a few weeks if they want to grow or not

It will be interesting to compare our plants with the one grown in Java, if you have pictures, do not hesitate to share them with us

Quote Originally Posted by Charly View Post
    If it's just the lack of heat, then they will never grow more than this year (we have very high temperature for a few weeks already)
    In "normal" years the weather is less hot and less dry.

For now I will let them grow as much as they can we'll see in a few weeks if they want to grow or not

It will be interesting to compare our plants with the one grown in Java, if you have pictures, do not hesitate to share them with us
    I think I have to disagree with the idea it is too cool in France to grow those tobaccos. I lost my Besuki due to a mishap with my thermostat; however, I had no indication that they weren't doing as well as any of my other tobaccos. It grew better than Piloto, which didn't get killed in the thermostat failure incident because it was in another building. And I'm happy with how Piloto is growing now, so I'm certain Besuki would be just fine.
    This blanket is a necessity. It keeps me from cracking up. It may be regarded as a spiritual tourniquet. Without it, I'd be nothing, a ship without a rudder. - Linus

Someday I hope to take a stab at that strain. If they love hot weather it should be no problem in this part of the US.

I haven't grown Samporis because of lack of time and space. I took several seed samples from different fields, and it's nice to see them grow somewhere completely different. Who would have guessed (at that very farm where I took them from). Good to hear that there germination rate is very high.

I am not likely to grow a large number of plants myself in one season, neither a large number of varieties. But being here in Indonesia I do intend to serve others on this forum some seeds from this side of the globe, fresh from the fields.

The bottom leafs of the Samporis are usually straight sun cured and go to buyers who use it in Jatim blends. The middle leafs are made into rolls when they're freshly harvested and sliced. Thus you get thin green slices of tobacco. Those slices are then sun cured. Don't mind rumours on the internet that it decreases nicotine, I'm confident that it does not.

I don't think it's "too cold", but I do think they express slower growth because it is slightly colder than usual for them. These are varieties grown in the tropics you will not get the same sizes as we would in Indonesia.

Look here for pictures of Besuki, and here for pictures of Kasturi. Here are pictures of Amersfoort.

@ChinaVoodoo and Tutu : I agree with both of you, I don't think it's too cold, especially for this year we have unusual very hot weather (this week, we had about 35°C = 95°F... hard to stand... I even got some burnt leaves, I'll show some pics soon)
    It might be that Besuki and Kasturi might love other conditions (right temperature and right humidity and right sun... and maybe right soil too).
    They are growing, slower than the others, but we'll have to wait to see what size they can catch later this season.

@GreenMonster : If you want some seeds of Besuki I will send you some

How is the Nostrano doing Charly? I'm curious because it seems very sensitive to different growing conditions...

pier

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast