Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Can somebody please explain this video to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsthebenster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MlQ0lMaMs0&t=266s

I've tried making dip on several occasions and would now like to try my hand at snus. When making dip, I've never found that it gets a whole lot darker once I add moisture. Certainly never nearly as dark as store-bought dip. It might darken a bit as it cooks and ages, but that's it (it never ends up tasting all that great either, even with the stickied "It's Gold" method (I think I did something wrong)). In the above video, the guy begins mixing his tobacco flour in water and by the time he's done, BAM, the tobacco is a pure black. No cooking, no ageing, nothing. It just gets stirred in water and turns black. What's going on here!? Can somebody tell me how this guy managed to achieve this? Is it the washing soda or something else?

Thanks.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Snus darkens from the cook and again from the second cook with the alkali. I don't know what he's using on the video, just read the title, but if you're making it then that's how it works. Read one of squeezyjohns recipes and go to town, it'll come out good.

RyanM22

I've had success making dip in the oven, FWIW. No fancy gadgets - just a ceramic dish. Cooks in less than an hour, and it definitely does darken. You can PM me if you'd like. Very easy method.. most of the work is in shredding, since I use a hand crank.

Pasteurized

In the above video, the guy begins mixing his tobacco flour in water and by the time he's done, BAM, the tobacco is a pure black.

That video is deceptive. The tobacco won't go black until after the first cook. That's actually the tipoff that it's time to add the soda ash, because you don't add the soda ash until after the tobacco turns black. Some tobaccos never go black. The Maryland tobacco didn't. It required double the cook time of other tobaccos and even then, it turned a dark brown, but not black. After adding the soda ash and cooking another 12 hours, it remained a dark brown, not black.

Status
Not open for further replies.