Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Greenmonster714's Grow Log 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charly

I understand your point of view Bob :)
But who knows, it might be something good ;) or not :D

When I read your message, I wonder if you meant : "GreenMonster, don't bother with this plant, discard it right now, no need to take more time to harvest/cure/kiln/smoke this variety : it's a waste of time and energy !"

What I know is that I plan on saving all the strains I am growing, even if some doesn't look like what I expected from them.
You have to wait after growing/harvesting/curing/kilning to know how good (or bad) they will smoke, that's why I will give a chance to all of them.
And if some leaves turn really bad, I can always throw the seeds in the garbage :)
Put some bag on the flowers is not the hardest part of the process ;)

Yes July 14 is approaching, but it's not a reason to cut off the head to anyone :D (just for some tiny seeds)
And : Long live GreenMonster's delightful Izmir :D :D

ChinaVoodoo

Personally, it would drive me nuts not knowing what a certain tobacco is. However, I can use my imagination and envision a world where an unknown tobacco was so delicious, or special in some other way that my delight of it would overtake the anxiety of not knowing what it is. Probably not though.

But we've seen it with the supposed "thousand year old rustica" which is no doubt some Amazon/eBay hybrid fraud marketing thing. Despite the fact it's not really ancient, those who grow it have embraced it for what it is.

I certainly wouldn't cull a tobacco I had planted, but I might not save seed unless the tobacco made a really good argument for itself.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
But who knows, it might be something good ;) or not :D

"...if you meant...don't bother with this plant, discard it right now..."
1. Somebody wins the lottery. 2. I might be begging for some of the seed from that plant in a few years. 3. It may be the only variety that grows in Martian soil.
{1. I don't. 2. I won't. 3. It won't.}

I think the wayward plant should be allowed to grow, and its leaf should be cured. It's tobacco!

Bob

greenmonster714

Izmir GM714..... I kinda like the ring of that...lol. Anyways, I'd never take down a plant unless it was diseased. Like I mentioned before. I'm not purchasing any strains from eBay anymore. I do like knowing or at least having a good idea of what my end product will be if all goes well. I currently have a few more of those unknowns growing. I do plan on bagging at least one plant of each. They may turn out trash but there's a 50/50 chance they may amount to something. Only one way to find out.

greenmonster714

While we're on this topic, the year before I found FTT, I grew a variety called Special Burley Gold Seal. http://www.tobaccoseed.ca/tobacco_seed_list.htm
I've never seen it on any other website. I think I still have seed. Is this a real variety, or just some unknown?

I've been to that site before. Some of the stuff they have there I've never found anywhere else either.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
ChinaVoodoo and greenmonster714 that link ain't telling telling much about "Special Burley Gold seal" I found a mail conversation between me and a man how have been growing that variant some season. This is what he told me about the variant:"This tobacco Burley is a pyramidal shaped tall plants with the leaf's growing upright From the stalk. The plant gets around 28 technical leaves (Hasse I have no data of topping but if I would taking the time I would saving 22-24 leaf).When leaves when ripe are painted in colors from golden to bright-lemon. Leaf's maturing around 60-65 day's.Ideal for making cigarettes, cigarillos, chewing tobacco and a tube. Contraindicated for use in cigars. The smoke is mild but the taste is aromatic (with a typical Burley taste). This variant is excellent choice for people how like a small taste of burley."I can also tell that I decided to not grow the variant because I already have to many similar Burley variants to grow (don't need more of those).

Last edited by a moderator:

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Bob when I google the name I found this number: TA101 so I am shore that "seedman" have it.. They have some other variant that I can't find any information on.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
ARS-GRIN holds well over 2000 varieties of N. tabacum, but even I have over a dozen varieties that GRIN does not have.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Both Knucklehead and I submitted new seed varieties to ARS-GRIN, but they are apparently no longer in the business of acquiring new ones. Both were rejected. They are more worried about plant patent litigation than science.

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Both Knucklehead and I submitted new seed varieties to ARS-GRIN, but they are apparently no longer in the business of acquiring new ones. Both were rejected. They are more worried about plant patent litigation than science.Bob
Yes I can understand them the same time that I don't understand.. They have much to take care of like it is.. I most say that I hope they don't close the door totally..By the way I have some variants that I don't have seen in their bank eather. The little funny thing with "Burley gold seal" is that I found a Russian page how told that the variant is common growing in USA..

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
That is probably true, and the likely explanation is that a seed vendor altered the name at some point.Bob
Or they use a translating program, I remember that I was close to make that mistake last year. One of the the variant I got in a swap got a really interesting name.

ChinaVoodoo

Or they use a translating program, I remember that I was close to make that mistake last year. One of the the variant I got in a swap got a really interesting name.

We had a real chuckle one time when a misspelled "plants" got translated into "pantalons."

Status
Not open for further replies.