Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Greenmonster714's Grow Log 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenmonster714

Just to refer back to your very first two posts of this grow log, it's very nice to see a new member so dedicated to start a grow blog. Although I now realize we subscribed to this forum only a few months apart. Quite a list of different varieties you've got there, which I think is probably a great way to get a first hunch of what you like to grow. By the way, is Baccto meant to be some sort of abbreviation of 'tobacco' and 'tomatoes'? I'm pretty sure Indonesians would love that! Here, "National Monument" becomes "Monas" and "Jawa Timur" becomes "Jatim.

Baccto is just the name of the product. I'm not sure if it means anything. It is a very fluffy medium and holds water rather well. I watered all the trays from below and it only took a few minutes for them to wick up the water. I then dumped all the excess out and sowed the seed. Yeah, I've got a few varieties going..lol. I'm probably going to pull my hair out by the end of the season...well maybe just beard hair. But I don't mind a challenge. My only obstacle at the moment is figuring out how many of each strain I want to grow in the garden.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I'd suggest no more than 6 of each variety. I have tons of different tobaccos that I grew only to find out later than I really don't care for it. I've been adding small amounts to my wife's cigarettes to get rid of it.

greenmonster714

I'd suggest no more than 6 of each variety. I have tons of different tobaccos that I grew only to find out later than I really don't care for it. I've been adding small amounts to my wife's cigarettes to get rid of it.

What are your favorite oriental strains and why? Are you using them for cigarettes or pipe? If for some reason I don't really care for a strain solo I could probably blend it I think. Are these good to blend with other strains like burley, dark, or brightleaf?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
My favorite Turkish are: Yenidje, Samsun Maden and Tekkokoy. Runner ups would be Duzce and Bursa. These are all for pipe tobacco. You can blend them with anything you want but they taste really good just straight. A combo of flue cured brightleaf, Little Dutch and a Turkish is pretty tasty too.

greenmonster714

My favorite Turkish are: Yenidje, Samsun Maden and Tekkokoy. Runner ups would be Duzce and Bursa. These are all for pipe tobacco. You can blend them with anything you want but they taste really good just straight. A combo of flue cured brightleaf, Little Dutch and a Turkish is pretty tasty too.

Good to hear. I've got Yenidje, Duzce, and Bursa beans cracking now. I also have one called Samsun 85 which is supposed to be a turk tobacco. Two more are in the mail Izmir Ozbis, and Prilep P66-9/7. Do you have any experience with the last three mentioned. Thank you for the input. It's really helpful for a noob..lol

greenmonster714

Well, this evening it will be 72hours and I don't see any growth yet. I know it can take a while but I'm anxious to see some action..lol. At least I do not see any mold/fungus growing on the soil...yet. The closet is holding pretty steady at 75-80 degrees and the plastic is holding in the moister well. The trays get sprayed down once a day to keep them moist. The Baccto soil absorbs water so quickly. Its like I mist the trays and before I get done with the last one the first ones look as though I never hit them but I am sure they are moist. Maybe by this weekend I'll have some lil ones. Once they sprout good I will pull them from the closet and probably let them rest near a window till its time for the 1020 trays.

I have added three more strains to my list. I was checking out a link Lefty sent to me of a German guy on ebay who sells seed. It looks as though I don't have to wait long for them to get here. Not like the ones that came from the Ukraine. The shipping says between the 10th and 17th and it was free shipping. Below I listed the three new ones. If I keep going like this I will need some Tobacco Grower Anonymous meetings. Step 1. I have come to believe that I am powerless over my addiction....ect. ect. ect.

Izmir Ozbis
Prilep P66=9/7
Golden Burley

Charly

"Welcome Greenmonster714"
You can count on me : I will be at our next Tobacco Grower Anonymous meeting ;)

For the seeds, be patient, it can take a few days for some strains.
The fastest strains I tried are the rustica (sometimes less than 3 days !) whereas others take their time (more than a week)

I too would like to try a lot of orientals, but I think I will have to wait for another year :)

rainmax

Founding Member
Well, this evening it will be 72hours and I don't see any growth yet...

Tomorow morning you will see cracked seeds of at least three varieties..
Little Dutch, Bolivian Criolo back, Perique... if the seeds are not to old..
At this condition another four days and all the strains will start to grow.
Prilep is one of my faworite strains, specialy when sun cured and imported from Macedonia. LOL
You will have a lot of work this year. Stay strong. All the best...

greenmonster714

Thanks rainmax. I'm just being impatient. Waiting for these seeds to pop is like watching paint dry. Soon I'll have so many I'll wish they'd stop..lol

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I would suggest not misting them from the top, but watering from the bottom.

For clarity, the spelling should be "Izmir Ozbas" and "Prilep 66-9/7" (the P beside the 66 stands for Prilep). My only reason for fussing about this is that, like the parlor game of whispers, several generations of odd spellings results in two "different" varieties that are genetically identical.

That particular strain of Prilep is a winner. Here's a link to a published report on the variety's development and productivity results: Prilep_Varieties_productivity.pdf

Bob

greenmonster714

Good to know about the misting. I will water from below only from now on. I understand what you mean about the misspelled strain and that certainly makes sense to me. I remember that game of whispers. Ya start out with, "Johnny has on black pants and rides a blue bike with white streamers". By the end its "Jimmy has blue balls and rides a tricycle with black fenders". Aint it funny how folks screw stories up. Some embellish the facts and other leave stuff out or change things all together...lol.

I've read some literature on the Prilep 66-9/7 and it appears to be a great producer for a oriental. I see in that link you sent that they place them @ about 6" apart and about 18" between rows. Is that about the spacing you use? These plants seem to get pretty big for a oriental. The leaves look like crinkle fries. Thanks for the info Bob.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...they place them @ about 6" apart and about 18" between rows. Is that about the spacing you use?
I planted them at ~12" spacing (in all directions) in staggered rows. So, in a 5' x 6' bed, I grew 16 of them. They reached over 5' tall. I believe closer spacing, say 9", would be better. Nonetheless, they were intensely aromatic. They sun-cure easily. I left them untopped, and primed the leaf. THEN, they produced about an 80% sucker crop, which I sun-cured on the stalk. I flue-cured some of the Prilep, which produced bright, lemon yellow leaf that smelled like a cookie bakery.

Garden20130714_780_Prilep_bed_400.jpg

Garden20141020_1610_Prilep_sunCuringOnStalk_120.jpg

Garden20130720_808_Prilep_P66-9_7_flueCured_400.jpg

Garden20140821_1463_Prilep66-9_7_flueCuredKilned_600.jpg

Bob

greenmonster714

Well that is rather encouraging. They look awesome. I see you had the P79-94 variety as well. I've not seen that particular one until now. Was that a experimental plant?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting study, Hasse. It demonstrated that, although Prilep 79-94 produced larger leaves than Prilep 66-9/7, the 66-9/7 produced so many more leaves that the kg/hectare was 20% greater.

I planted both, because rainmax provided me with seed for both. My own comparison of the two concluded the same thing. In addition, the leaves of 79-94 were generally thinner than those of 66-9/7. Given that they both produce similar leaf with similar aroma and burn properties, the Prilep 66-9/7 seems to be a better investment of space and time.

A word about Yaka and Djebel:
I believe that these two terms are derived from the Turkish language (though possibly Greek). Yaka refers to the lower slope of a mountain range; Djebel refers to steeper, higher areas of a mountain range. Basma is a category of Oriental tobacco with relatively columnar plants, small leaves with a sessile stem attachment, somewhat low nicotine content, and a generally aromatic character to the cured leaf. (Confusingly, Basma is also a method of packing leaf. Ignore that.) Xanthi is a type of Basma tobacco. We see Xanthi Yaka as well as Xanthi Djebel, depending on where it was traditionally grown in Greece during the late Ottoman Empire. When a tobacco variety is labeled as simply "Djebel," for example, it is the Basma type Xanthi Djebel. There are now many numbered variants of both Xanthi Yaka and Xanthi Djebel that have been intentionally developed in Macedonia, Greece, Bulgaria, and elsewhere. Most of them produce similar leaf, with different disease resistance profiles, and with differing productivity.

I've grown both Xanthi Yaka and Xanthi Djebel, as well as Prilep 66-9/7, Prilep 79-94, Smyrna #9 (an Izmir variety) and Izmir-Ozbas. While their aroma profiles vary somewhat, I believe it makes sense to pick maybe one or two of these, but no more. You just end up with nearly indistinguishable end product.

TurkishTobacco_Leaves.jpg

From Constantinides. (7.5MB)

On the other hand, the Samsun group (Samsun, Bafra, Samsun-Maden, Trebizon, etc.) are quite different from the Basma types, and usually stronger. They have larger, heart-shaped leaves.

The other Orientals that I've grown (Balikesir, Yayladag, Mutki, Tasova) were interesting, not I've never been motivated to plant them after their 2012 debut. (Photos in my 2012 grow log)

Gosh. This got wordy. Sorry.

Bob

greenmonster714

Thank you Hasse and thank you Bob. Looks like I have some reading to do tonight. You guys on this forum are always throwing me bones to read and I love every one of them.

greenmonster714

Houston We Have Liftoff.

Rainmax was right when he said I would see growth in the morning. The Perique, VA Gold, Bursa, and Duzce all have green sprouts. The rest mentioned all have visible signs of the white tail which emerges once the bean cracks. Shirey, Silver River, White Stem Orinoco, Frog Eye Orinoco, and Little Dutch. All are showing progress. Today I got my Golden Burley in will probably sow them tomorrow. Thanks rainmax. You nailed it bro.
20170309_110831.jpg20170309_110857.jpg20170309_111128.jpg

All the rest look like this so they will probably show green in the morning.....One step away from completing the first step in growing...Germination. YaaaaHoooo....lol
20170309_110843.jpg

Thanks to all you guys and your help.

Tutu

Hooray! Always great to see germination of seed! It amazes me time and time again how such a tiny seed can become such a hefty plant

greenmonster714

Congrats. I get a sigh of relief when I see the sprouts. What sort of pots are you going to be transferring them to?

I bought some trays and inserts a month ago. They are about 3" deep with 36 in each flat. I bought 6 of each. Hopefully, they will be enough to get them to the size they need to be to be transplanted outdoors. I was impressed when I saw them. They are not flimsy like the ones you get at Wallyworld. I should be able to use them for some time to come. I got them from http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/
20170309_213251.jpg20170309_213318.jpg

Hooray! Always great to see germination of seed! It amazes me time and time again how such a tiny seed can become such a hefty plant

Yeah man, it is amazing how large they do get from such a small seed. I guess it won't be long before I get what I need planted into the flat trays.

Status
Not open for further replies.