Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Greenmonster714's Grow Log 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

I bought some trays and inserts a month ago. They are about 3" deep with 36 in each flat. I bought 6 of each. Hopefully, they will be enough to get them to the size they need to be to be transplanted outdoors. I was impressed when I saw them. They are not flimsy like the ones you get at Wallyworld. I should be able to use them for some time to come. I got them from http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/
View attachment 20133View attachment 20134

Yeah man, it is amazing how large they do get from such a small seed. I guess it won't be long before I get what I need planted into the flat trays.

That's perfect. Exactly what I used last year. I was just worried you were going to use something improvised with no drainage like you used for sprouting. You'll be able to use those for years to come.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Greenmonster714 to read about different types of tobacco (and tobacco products) can take more than a life time, but it's really interesting.At this moment I don't have time to read half as much as I have done, but I known (or hope) that I soon can take some time to read again, I really miss that time it's a good thing to do when everyone else in the family sleep.. It's like a drug as more you known as more you realize that You don't know..

greenmonster714

That's perfect. Exactly what I used last year. I was just worried you were going to use something improvised with no drainage like you used for sprouting. You'll be able to use those for years to come.

It's great to hear they will be good. When I was shopping I tried to find the deepest inserts I could find. I didn't want anything with more than 36 in a flat. About the germination. Those little tins do have holes in the bottom. I feed them by putting water in a tray I'm not using at the moment and set the tins in there for a about a minute and then let them drain off before I put them back into the closet setup. I was misting them but Bob said it would be better to feed them from below.

Greenmonster714 to read about different types of tobacco (and tobacco products) can take more than a life time, but it's really interesting.At this moment I don't have time to read half as much as I have done, but I known (or hope) that I soon can take some time to read again, I really miss that time it's a good thing to do when everyone else in the family sleep.. It's like a drug as more you known as more you realize that You don't know..

I hear ya man. There's never enough time in the day to complete what needs to be done or what we want to get done. I do enjoy reading the links a lot of guys post here. Some of the stuff is way over my head but that's okay. I usually end up using google dictionary to get definitions of words I don't understand. I spent a few months just reading these forums before I even start gathering material. I learn something here everyday. I'm very thankful for the folks here that are always willing to teach and provide excellent advice.

greenmonster714

A closet full of babies. Most all have sprouted so far. A few are lagging behind but that's okay. The bursa and the VA gold are the ones really taking off.
20170310_162813.jpg20170310_160432.jpg20170310_160507.jpg20170310_160525.jpg

Close up of the Bursa. This stuff is taking off. How big they got to be to transplant them into 1020 trays?
20170310_162752.jpg

Charly

Whouha ! they grow well ! congratulations ;)
I've started my seeds only 36h hours ago, in 2 days I should begin to see some green, fingers crossed ;)

greenmonster714

Whouha ! they grow well ! congratulations ;)
I've started my seeds only 36h hours ago, in 2 days I should begin to see some green, fingers crossed ;)

Thanks Charly, yes you should see some growth very soon. Mine started at the end of 72 hours. It was the perique that popped first. One single sprout but hey that's exciting to me..lol. The burleys seem to be taking their time. Found a spot of mold grey mold growing on the surface of my Big Gem. I sat it outside for some sunshine but if it keeps going I will treat it with either a baking soda or peroxide mixture.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
How steady are your hands? You can transfer them to your 1020 cells right now, if you want. Use forceps or a toothpick. More than one seedling per cell is no big problem, since you can just thin the weakest in a couple of weeks.

If they get larger, and the roots get tangled together, you can just plop a chunk of them into some water, then tease them apart. So, you've got time. Start with the largest ones, and see how it goes. Keep all the extras going.

And...do-overs are permitted.

Bob

greenmonster714

How steady are your hands? You can transfer them to your 1020 cells right now, if you want. Use forceps or a toothpick. More than one seedling per cell is no big problem, since you can just thin the weakest in a couple of weeks.

If they get larger, and the roots get tangled together, you can just plop a chunk of them into some water, then tease them apart. So, you've got time. Start with the largest ones, and see how it goes. Keep all the extras going.

And...do-overs are permitted.

Bob

Right now my hands are not very steady at all with all these breathing meds right now. But I may be able to do the toothpick thing. Maybe I'll try some tomorrow. Again, thanks for the info Bob.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I seed directly into my 1020 tray. Never understood why a lot of people seed into one container and then transplant into another. Maybe you guys have way too much free time on your hands? :)

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I seed directly into my 1020 tray. Never understood why a lot of people seed into one container and then transplant into another. Maybe you guys have way too much free time on your hands? :)
Jitterbugdude, I first put the seed in water then try to spread them as much as possible on some solid, let them grow to around 4-5cm high. After that I let them grow alone. Yes it's much easier to put them 1 by 1 from the start but For me that way have been shown best results. So my way to do is something between (but probably the way that take most time).

greenmonster714

It's been two days and I finally gathered enough energy to check and water my lil ones in the closet. Happy to report everything is green except for the Big Gem. So, I think its time to start putting them in the 1020 inserts. First I need to finish my lamp stand. So much to do and no damn energy to do it. Can't wait till this stuff is long gone.

The closet setup has served me well. Maintained a constant 75-80degrees day n night. So, if needed next year I know I can count on that space for germination.

greenmonster714

Today has been a long day. I feel pretty good now but I am still very weak. I had no idea how taxing it would be to pull those little plants from the germination trays and transplant into the 1020 trays. I thought I would never get done and I didn't. I got most of them done but I had to stop and make these light contraptions. I then had to figure out where I was going to put them so my 3 cats don't decide to play in the trays. So tomorrow I will plant the rest. I need....I say I need a greenhouse..lol. Hopefully next year I can arrange something like that but until then its night light time in my bedroom. The temperatures in my bedroom are pretty cool. I hope that doesn't bother their growth or their ability to survive the transplant.
20170315_220158.jpg20170315_220234.jpg

Then to add a little more fun I went ahead and planted more seed. I thought maybe I'd try some 3oz paper cups. Not sure how this is going to work but I'll find out. I hope this cold weather passes by quickly so I can start taking the plants outside for some sunshine a little at a time.
20170315_220336.jpg

Charly

Good to hear you feel better !

Yes, that's a lot of work to transplant those little babies to their new pots !
I did the same yesturday, putting about 140 plants to their new home (I have more to come)

Jitterbugdude may be right when he sais we have too much free time :D
I don't have that much pots, so I choose this method, because I want to be sure that each pot has something in it that really wants to grow (in fact, I put 4 real plants in each pot, so I am sure to get at least one or two healthy plant in each pot).

Last year I put the seeds directly in the pots, but I struggled being all the time removing new seedlings, hurting the roots of the plants I wanted to save... and it took me a lot of time too... so I wanted to change my method :)

I have the same feeling about green house : I really need one ! (and a real kiln too by the way...)

The new seeds you planted are of which strains ?

greenmonster714

Good to hear you feel better !

Yes, that's a lot of work to transplant those little babies to their new pots !
I did the same yesturday, putting about 140 plants to their new home (I have more to come)

Jitterbugdude may be right when he sais we have too much free time :D
I don't have that much pots, so I choose this method, because I want to be sure that each pot has something in it that really wants to grow (in fact, I put 4 real plants in each pot, so I am sure to get at least one or two healthy plant in each pot).

Last year I put the seeds directly in the pots, but I struggled being all the time removing new seedlings, hurting the roots of the plants I wanted to save... and it took me a lot of time too... so I wanted to change my method :)

I have the same feeling about green house : I really need one ! (and a real kiln too by the way...)

The new seeds you planted are of which strains ?

I ended up with more than one tiny plant in many of the cells but I figure I can just snip off the extras later. The ones I am starting new are in 3oz paper cups and if they come up they will stay in those cups until its time to go outdoors. They are Golden Burley and Izmir Ozbas. I hope the final seed comes in the mail today and it will be the Prilep P66-9/7. After that I am done with the germination of seed. I have tried to get at least 12 of each strain but it may be less if these new transfers do not make it. No matter what happens I will probably have way more than I need but extra is okay. Only time will tell now.

greenmonster714

Today has been a good day. The mail lady delivered a package from pipesandcigars.com. The John Cotton 1&2 I ordered had finally come in. It is a English blend suggested by none other than our Bob. Upon opening the tin I noticed a smell that I am not familiar with. Normally I have always stuck with the aromatic heavy casing brands but this was different. As I packed a bowl I noticed that this product had hardly any casing at all but even still it wasn't bone dry either. I fired up the bowl and experience a taste that was new. At first I didn't know what to think but as I slowly burnt down the bowl I had already decided to pack another..lol. I have to say I do enjoy this new tobacco. Here's a description of the product from the distributor:

This is a mild to medium-bodied blend of ripe Virginias, fragrant Orientals, spicy Turkish leaf and Latakia. There's enough Latakia to let you know it's there, but the marriage of the Cyprian leaf and the various Orientals produce an exotic flavor, and the Virginias add just the right amount of sweetness for beautiful balance.
jcb-tp-1000.png.jpg

I am very pleased I had the chance to try this type of blend. Thank you Bob once again for pointing me in a direction I had not ventured. I am already thinking about ordering more of the same type but with different tobacco blended in. Maybe down the road when I get a nice crop of tobacco I can try to copy some of these commercial blends. I'd probably have to buy the Latakia from WLT and either purchase some Perique or have a go at trying to make some of my own. I do have the Perique plants growing so maybe that will work out. Time will tell.

greenmonster714

In the past few days I have been rather busy trying to transfer my little ones into larger homes. In the process I have run out of room. Well, I have room but not enough light to get these babies going good. First I checked out my plants under the fluorescent lamps I have in the bedroom. Last week I placed a nice plastic piece over them to retain some heat and moisture. It appears to be doing the job. My wife says I have turned the house into a greenhouse. Well, yeah I kinda did..lol.

This was my starting point before I added the plastic cover.
20170315_220158.jpg

Now after adding the plastic and a peak at what they are doing under there. I'm going to let them go a little longer and then just take some clippers and snip off the extra plants to get it each cell down to one plant. I think they are responding to the lamps well.
20170320_134136.jpg20170320_134041.jpg20170320_134105.jpg

Now lets move outside. I have run out of 1020 trays so I have put the little ones in 3oz cups. I hope they are large enough to house them until its time for the garden. If not I guess I'll have to transplant them once more. Like I mentioned before I have planted way more that I will probably use but I am allowing for losses. Now on to my new fancy greenhouse. I reuse stuff as much as possible. I have a few pallets around that I use to breakdown and panel my living room with. So, I found a large one and set it atop a work table I use outside. With a few cut 2x4's and some old plastic I used on my compost pile I fashioned a crude but effective little greenhouse for the remainder of my little ones. Our weather here is in the mid 70's during the day and 50's at night. So, I hope to just leave them out there and water as needed till they are mature enough to go into the ground. Not sure how many of each I have potted. I potted as many as I could in case of any damping off or just dying. Hopefully it won't be to much longer and we will all be out in the garden.
20170320_140102.jpg20170320_140153.jpg20170320_140122.jpg

Happy Gardening to you all...:)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm glad you had a chance to try the John Cotton's No. 1&2. The greatest value of it is that it's all tobacco. All of the flavors and aromas are real tobacco that's been handled by different curing methods. No tutti frutti. (Their Smyrna blend is heavier on the Oriental, and a bit harsher.) Do have a look at the Cornell & Diehl English blends.

Looks like your planting is off to a great start.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Plantation Evening! I finally found my notes from 8 years ago. Cornell & Diehl's Plantation Evening (I marked it "Superb! Re-order.") sparked my pipe blending. Plantation Evening (on sale until the end of the month at smokingpipes.com) is (or at least was at that time) 5 parts Virginia bright leaf, 3 parts Perique, 3 parts Latakia and 5 parts Izmir. I adjusted that for my own blend to 5:3:4:4 respectively, for my Pearl of Shibam. The ratio of Virginia to Perique--5:3--turned out to perfectly eliminate the Virginia bite. 25% Latakia (4/16) is my Latakia minimum.

Unlike many "English" blends, Plantation Evening has no burley, and immediately reminded me of many of the finest English blends from many decades ago. Burley ramps up the body and potency higher than I usually like.

So, if you decide to order more English-style pipe tobacco, you might give C&D's Plantation Evening a close consideration.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.