Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: Greenmonster714's Grow Log 2017

Plantation Evening it is. My next order I'll get some and give it a try. Thanks Bob.

Now that you discovered english blends, I encourage you to try GLPease's blends (made by C&D), there is a lot of english/balkan in his line, and many are really delicious.
    The only thing is that I enjoy these blends far better after they have rested for a few month/year, sometimes, when young they are not so great...

Here are some delicious blends (just to my preferences, very subjective opinion) :
    - BlackPoint
    - Odysee
    - Maltese Falcon
    - Samarra
    - Westminter ...

There are many others but I did not try them yet (I have some, but I am waiting to let them mature) :
    - Chelsea Morning
    - Quiet Nights
    - Gas Light ....

Great green house ! And congratulations for all the transplantation !
    I will update my blog to show what I did last days (busy days also)

Quote Originally Posted by greenmonster714 View Post

. I'd probably have to buy the Latakia from WLT .
    test the VA 309... WLt...! a must ! nice !

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    Plantation Evening (on sale until the end of the month at smokingpipes.com) is (or at least was at that time) 5 parts Virginia bright leaf, 3 parts Perique, 3 parts Latakia and 5 parts Izmir. I adjusted that for my own blend to 5:3:4:4 respectively, for my Pearl of Shibam. The ratio of Virginia to Perique--5:3--turned out to perfectly eliminate the Virginia bite. 25% Latakia (4/16) is my Latakia minimum.

Bob
    How did you get those ratios Bob?

the name of deluxestogie is Nicolas Flamel...

https://www.google.fr/search?q=Nicol...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Quote Originally Posted by DistillingJim View Post
    How did you get those ratios Bob?
    Ah. Good question. It is entirely dependent on the characteristics of the specific batch of Perique used for blending. The balance was pH perfect on my tongue, when I tried the C&D Plantation Evening. (That is to say, I experienced zero tongue bite from the Virginia in the blend.) I've found the VA/Perique ratio of 5:3 to also be perfect when using any Louisiana Perique. BUT, it's different for home-made Perique, and has to be titrated by trial and error for any home-brew batch: more Perique with a milder variety; less with stronger Perique.

In addition to Perique's influence on the pH, it also contributes a deep, earthy, fruity, and somewhat "barnyard" aroma. And this varies significantly with the variety of tobacco used to make the Perique.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Charly View Post
    Now that you discovered english blends, I encourage you to try GLPease's blends (made by C&D), there is a lot of english/balkan in his line, and many are really delicious.
    The only thing is that I enjoy these blends far better after they have rested for a few month/year, sometimes, when young they are not so great...

Here are some delicious blends (just to my preferences, very subjective opinion) :
    - BlackPoint
    - Odysee
    - Maltese Falcon
    - Samarra
    - Westminter ...

There are many others but I did not try them yet (I have some, but I am waiting to let them mature) :
    - Chelsea Morning
    - Quiet Nights
    - Gas Light ....

Great green house ! And congratulations for all the transplantation !
    I will update my blog to show what I did last days (busy days also)
    Wow. Thanks for the info Charly. I've got a lot to learn when it comes to English blends but I gotta say I do like what I've tried so far. So letting them age is kind of like cigars. I know many folks who age cigars for months even years before they use them. I had no idea pipe tobacco should be treated the same way. Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavroche View Post
    test the VA 309... WLt...! a must ! nice !
    So the WLT latakia is made from VA309 leaf?

With pipe blends (the kind that uses little to no casing/flavoring), it's better to let time to allow the different type of leaves to know each others, to meld, to marry.
    When the blend is young it is often raw/not harmonious/aggressive, with age, it becomes more mellow, harmonious, complexe, with subtle nuances.

And the best part is that you can actually age pipe tobacco for a long long time ! depending on the kind of leaves, it can become better and better for years/decades.
    The longuest aging potential is often given for the virginias (something like 40 to 50 years before beginning to decline).
    Some others are not meant to age for so long, I've read that the latakia looses too much of its flavors after 20-25 years... (if I remember correctly).

Whatever, in my little experience, some of the best smoke I had (with pipe) has been with tobacco aged for 5 to 10 year.
    When you like a blend, buy two or more tins, so you can smoke it young, and aged

Of course, if the tobacco is not good to begin, it won't become stellar just with age (just like wine and alcools).

Quote Originally Posted by greenmonster714 View Post
    So the WLT latakia is made from VA309 leaf?
    WLT Latakia is from Cyprus, and is made from a variant of Basma Oriental.

Quote Originally Posted by Charly View Post
    With pipe blends...40 to 50 years...20-25 years...
    As an alternative, you can just age yourself, rather than the tobacco, and the it will taste different.

Now that I've aged quite a bit, all sorts of tobacco tastes good.

Bob

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast