Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Greenmonster714's Grow Log 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenmonster714

GM714's Grow Log 2017

The journey into this has been a very enjoyable one so far. I say so far because at one point along the way I'm sure to run into problems. I can't be totally nieve and believe everything will go as planned...but...at least I have a plan.

First, I'd like to thank all the folks here for sharing their experience on the pages of this forum. Everything I need to know is here and if I need answers to a question ya'll are always willing to help. I can't think of any better place than FTT forums.

So here it goes. I am a pipe smoker and love blending my own tobacco. I do enjoy a nice cigar from time to time but my primary goal is tobacco for my pipe. After finding this site and spend hours upon hours reading I will take that a step further and try to grow my own this year and hopefully for years to come. So, its time to put down the computer and make this happen. I have made a hanging lamp contraption that should do fine for the four 1020 trays that will be used to get them ready for outdoors. The four trays will have 36 deep inserts in each tray which will give me 216 little ones to deal with. Not to sure how many of those will make it to maturity but we shall see. From what I've read here its a good idea to have spare plants ready to go to replace failures. This is my list of beans to pop. Yes, its a long list for a newbie but why not jump in over my head the first time around..lol.

Bright Leaf
Big Gem
White Stem Orinoco
Frog Eye Orinoco
Hickory Prior
Virginia Gold
Crimean

Dark
Bolivian Criollo Black
Little Dutch
Indian Black
Sm Stock Black Mammoth
Shirley

Burley
Gold Dollar
Yellow Twist Bud
Golden Burley

Oriental/Turk
Bursa
Duzce
Yenidje

Other
Perique
Samsun 85

The majority of seeds I purchased are from a guy who is a member here. He sells under the name SpicyAcres on ebay. I have been in contact with him and he's helped me out on some decisions. For the price I couldn't pass it up. Ten different strains for $20 shipping and all. The Big Gem is from a member here named CaryNC (thank you) and the rest are from the Ukraine, Virginia, Pennsilvania, and Germany. The only question I have about the seed is the Samsun 85. I can not find any information on it. Has anyone here every heard of it. It came from the Ukraine. Hindsight kinda tells me I shouldn't have bought the S 85 but its here and its going in the ground at some point. The only seed I do not have yet is the Golden Burley. It should be here soon.

As far as variety goes I have plants that should mature within 45-95 days after setting them out in the garden. At least that's what the literature I've read says about them. I know conditions, soil, and nutrients can cause those numbers to be off a bit. The months of August and September around here are sticky and hot so I should have good conditions to air cure some leaf. I have a large horsebarn available to air cure and I will probably use it when needed but I plan on building a structure out of pallets. It will be about 9'x9' with a 7' tin roof which should hold a lot of leaf. The spacing between the pallet slats should allow for great airflow. If it appears that they are drying to fast I can always just cover a side or two with plastic or some roofing paper and control the air movement from the inside with a 110v blower. The structure will have a dirt floor. I want to leave it this way so if by chance I am trying to air cure and the humidity drops I can just spray the floor now and then to keep the humidity up. One issue I am concerned about is the weight of those drying leaves. I remember reading where Bob posted about how drying leaf can be very heavy and to be sure that the structure can support all those hanging leaves. So, I plan on using some 4x4's to strenghthen the building. I imagine with those anchored in on the four corners it should be just fine.

Starting my beans
And so it begins. I have tried to clone what BigBonner does to start his seed. Or at least very similar to his method. I've learned years ago that if you want to learn something new do what others do successfully. I have 19 small bread loaf disposable pans that will be labled. I have placed two drop lights under a shelf I made in a small closet. I drilled some 5/8" holes to get more heat to the bottom of the trays and covered the pans with plastic to hold in warmth. It appears to be working well but I am still testing it before I throw any seed in there. I don't have a seedling mat heater so I'll have to do the best I can with what I've got. My starter soil is not the most ideal mixture. It is a potting mix from Baccto. I got it at the local feed store. The guy said that is what they start their seeds with so why not give it a try. It feels rather light and fluffy so I'm hoping it will do the trick for now. I can't really afford to buy vermiculite and perilite to add to it so I'm gonna go with it. I know all ya really need is a wet paper towel to pop the beans but I'd like to keep some alive and well if I need them to replace any failures. My water is from the tap. Its been sitting in a few gallon jugs for days to bleed off the chlorine before I used it. The seeds will be fed by wicking water up into the medium from below during germination and in the flat trays as well.

Start Soil and NPK
Much like Miracle Grow this medium has a small amount of nutrients that should help things stay healthy throughout their time in germination and 1020 flat trays.
spin_prod_764363012.jpg
Nitrogen 0.85%
0.01 Ammonical Nitrogen
0.02 Nitrate Nitrogen
0.81 Urea Nitrogen
0.01 Water-Soluble Nitrogen
Phosphate 0.15%
Potassium 0.10%
Note: Portions of this have been polymer coated to provide 0.14% coated slow release Nitrogen, 0.03% coated slow release available Phosphate, and 0.02% coated slow release soluble Potash.

So, there it is. My first stab at growing tobacco. I will throw some pictures up in a few of my setup in the closet. I've moistened the soil and am waiting to see what the soil temp will be before I throw in some beans. I can honestly say I doubt I would have made it this far without the help of you good folks here at FTT. I can only hope that someday I too can help first time growers as you all have helped me.
Thank you all, Jeff

greenmonster714

This is my setup in the closet for germinating seed. I have watered them from below and let the medium get good and wet. I have a thermometer stuck in the soil and it is reading 80degrees. The plastic over the trays seems to be holding in the heat and moisture rather well. I figure to regulate the temperature I can simply crack the door a little. As long as I can maintain 75-80 temps I should be okay.
20170305_162012.jpg20170305_161842.jpg20170305_161944.jpg20170305_163958.jpg

If the temps stay steady overnight I'll throw some beans in there tomorrow. I've got the name tags made so all that's left is germination.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A number of members have had good success with Bacto for starting. Looks like you're ready to go.

If I squint, I can see several constellations in the second image.

Bob

GM_planetarium.jpg

Charly

Great ! if you manage to keep a good temperature it might be good !
(I think I'll eventually have to find a way to heat my seeds too...)

greenmonster714

A number of members have had good success with Bacto for starting. Looks like you're ready to go.

If I squint, I can see several constellations in the second image.

Bob

GM_planetarium.jpg

Lol Bob. Good to hear the Baccto is a pretty good medium to start. I got all of them planted tonight. Now its a race to see who shows me some green first.

Great ! if you manage to keep a good temperature it might be good !
(I think I'll eventually have to find a way to heat my seeds too...)

Yep, I'm hoping the temps stay pretty steady at least they have the past 4 hours. A good steady temp usually helps germination big time. I sat and thought about it a long time trying to figure out how to do it with what I had available and above is what I've come up with. It may look red neck but I think it'll get the job done.

Leftynick

The only question I have about the seed is the Samsun 85. I can not find any information on it. Has anyone here every heard of it. It came from the Ukraine. Hindsight kinda tells me I shouldn't have bought the S 85 but its here and its going in the ground at some point.

I grow Samsun 85 last year. I bought it from Russian ebay dealer. It is a good hardy plant. My research shows that there are 2 nurseries that sell S 85, one label it as f1 seed, and the others don't. I bought the one that are not labeled f1 seed and try to regrow it this year to see whether it will retain the characteristic. I can't comment on the size as I grow it in 1 gallon pot, but it is very flavorful. It give strong oriental flavor, and very similar to my country's blend for Peter Stuyvesant cigarette brand. Very sticky leaves, no sucker until topped, and insect doesn't seems to attack it despite my heavy infestation of aphids last year. See my poor man grow log for picture.

greenmonster714

I grow Samsun 85 last year. I bought it from Russian ebay dealer. It is a good hardy plant. My research shows that there are 2 nurseries that sell S 85, one label it as f1 seed, and the others don't. I bought the one that are not labeled f1 seed and try to regrow it this year to see whether it will retain the characteristic. I can't comment on the size as I grow it in 1 gallon pot, but it is very flavorful. It give strong oriental flavor, and very similar to my country's blend for Peter Stuyvesant cigarette brand. Very sticky leaves, no sucker until topped, and insect doesn't seems to attack it despite my heavy infestation of aphids last year. See my poor man grow log for picture.

Thank you, that is good news to hear. I've looked everywhere to find information on that strain but couldn't find anything. I bought it from an ebay dealer in the Ukraine as well. It came in a commercial package much like you'd see in a dollar store seed display in the USA. Only thing is it was all in Russian. I had ordered more from the same guy but for some reason the seeds never showed up and he gave me a quick refund. Great guy to do business with. I let the guy know that if they do happen to show up in the mail I would send him the money once more. I would have liked to have the seed but reordering it would take another month to get here. Have you ever grown out seeds with the names...New Anniversary 142 or Dubek? Again, thanks for the information on the Samsun85.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Smoking tobacco "Samsun 85" - Nicotiana tabacum L. Middle-grade Oriental smoking tobacco with an average nicotine content (up 2.1%) and high smoking properties (in terms of: strength, aroma, flavor and sweetness - 38.4 points). The plant quickly produces a large amount of large dark green leaves of high quality. Plant height of 1.0-1.5 m. The flowers are pinkish-red. Value varieties: leaf with a slight waxy protective layer, elastic texture and small veins, rich in essential oils. The dried leaves have a delicate and subtle sweet flavor, characterized by sustained burning.

The variety is resistant to root rot, and peronosporosis podgaru. Recommended for cigarettes and pipes.

...planted in open ground in the middle to the end of May at a distance of 50-70 cm From mid-July start collecting and drying tobacco.

https://translate.google.com/transl...w.seemnemaailm.ee/index.php?lang=ee&GID=19506

Bob

greenmonster714

Thank you Bob. I see you've had it translated but from where did you get that information?

There we not many seeds in that package and I hope they germinate because I like what I just read. I've tried to throw as many pipe recommended strains as I could find together for this grow. My goal is to never buy commercial blend tobacco again and if this season goes well I will be on that path for sure.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
For a pipe you can't go wrong with lots of Turkish strains. Your Brightleaf strains will be very bland unless you flue cure them.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...where did you get that information?
https://www.seemnemaailm.ee (.ee is Estonia)

Search for tubakas on that site.

For a Google search of "Samsun 85", you have to enclose that phrase in quotes, then exclude "samsung" (which shows a gazillion hits) by adding

-samsung (with the minus sign) to the search string

Google Search ==> "Samsun 85" -samsung

Bob

greenmonster714

For a pipe you can't go wrong with lots of Turkish strains. Your Brightleaf strains will be very bland unless you flue cure them.

Thank you for the info. I will probably go a little heavy on the Turk plants. I plan on building a flue/kiln but my concern is it would have to be out in the elements. I've read where Bob wrote that a unit exposed to weather changes can cause you to use more energy to complete your goal. So, it would have to be pretty insulated and well protected from the rain. I've got a hanging barn planned out for now. So, the kiln/flue will have to wait a while. I should get enough of the Turkish, Burleys, and Dark tobaccos air cured to hold me over till I can build one.

https://www.seemnemaailm.ee (.ee is Estonia)

Search for tubakas on that site.

For a Google search of "Samsun 85", you have to enclose that phrase in quotes, then exclude "samsung" (which shows a gazillion hits) by adding

-samsung (with the minus sign) to the search string

Google Search ==> "Samsun 85" -samsung

Bob

Once again Bob. Thank you. Man, do you know how long I been searching for that information.. lol. At one point I thought I was pretty efficient with searching on the net but you have just schooled me once again.

greenmonster714

Even better, use Google "Advanced" search: https://www.google.com/advanced_search

(There used to be an "advanced search" link just below the standard Google search box, but that apparently used too much ink.)

Bob

No its doesn't seem to be there anymore but yeah ya can google it and get the advanced search. Definitely good to know. Thanks Bob

Leftynick

Thank you, that is good news to hear. I've looked everywhere to find information on that strain but couldn't find anything. I bought it from an ebay dealer in the Ukraine as well. It came in a commercial package much like you'd see in a dollar store seed display in the USA. Only thing is it was all in Russian. I had ordered more from the same guy but for some reason the seeds never showed up and he gave me a quick refund. Great guy to do business with. I let the guy know that if they do happen to show up in the mail I would send him the money once more. I would have liked to have the seed but reordering it would take another month to get here. Have you ever grown out seeds with the names...New Anniversary 142 or Dubek? Again, thanks for the information on the Samsun85.

I see you are looking for translation on description on the back of the package. I just bought them from dealer who provided English description of the product. I hope its okay to provide link here. Here is the dealer I bought my seed from.

http://stores.ebay.com/olzzza/TOBAC...0163017&_sid=1199431117&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

I have not grow anything other than Samsun 85 and Havana variety from Russia. However, I do some research, (painstakingly translate Russian website to English) and find out that New Anniversary 142 is cross between virginia and oriental. Now I just buy from another dealer from German who has almost all Tabankabau catalog to chose from, because the seed from Russia is like you say, looks like dollar store seed display and I am not totally convinced that these seed are stable variety. Hence my regrow experiment. My advise is, if you like the Russian variety, just buy the seed everytime you want to grow it rather than saving seeds, because it will only cost you 2 dollar including postage.

greenmonster714

I see you are looking for translation on description on the back of the package. I just bought them from dealer who provided English description of the product. I hope its okay to provide link here. Here is the dealer I bought my seed from.

http://stores.ebay.com/olzzza/TOBAC...0163017&_sid=1199431117&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

I have not grow anything other than Samsun 85 and Havana variety from Russia. However, I do some research, (painstakingly translate Russian website to English) and find out that New Anniversary 142 is cross between virginia and oriental. Now I just buy from another dealer from German who has almost all Tabankabau catalog to chose from, because the seed from Russia is like you say, looks like dollar store seed display and I am not totally convinced that these seed are stable variety. Hence my regrow experiment. My advise is, if you like the Russian variety, just buy the seed everytime you want to grow it rather than saving seeds, because it will only cost you 2 dollar including postage.

I agree, the prices they post are affordable. It takes a while to get the seeds though. I bought some Virginia gold from a guy in Germany and it got here in just a few days. So, I'm not sure why the Russian seeds take so long to get here. I too kind of question the purity of the strain when it comes in the form of a dollar store seed display but maybe they are okay..I dunno. I would've liked to grow out the NA 142. Maybe I'll order some for next time. I do plan on saving some of the Samsun 85 seeds and see what I get. I will probably save seed from at least one of everything I grow this year. If I like the strain I can use it again and I can share some with any members interested.

Thanks for the link. I think I've looked at some of those when I was searching around. Some are pretty interesting. Who is the German dealer with a catalog? Is there anyway I can get ahold of that? Link? Order form?

Leftynick

I agree, the prices they post are affordable. It takes a while to get the seeds though. I bought some Virginia gold from a guy in Germany and it got here in just a few days. So, I'm not sure why the Russian seeds take so long to get here. I too kind of question the purity of the strain when it comes in the form of a dollar store seed display but maybe they are okay..I dunno. I would've liked to grow out the NA 142. Maybe I'll order some for next time. I do plan on saving some of the Samsun 85 seeds and see what I get. I will probably save seed from at least one of everything I grow this year. If I like the strain I can use it again and I can share some with any members interested.

Thanks for the link. I think I've looked at some of those when I was searching around. Some are pretty interesting. Who is the German dealer with a catalog? Is there anyway I can get ahold of that? Link? Order form?

I am sorry, it is an ebay store page. Here's the link

http://stores.ebay.com/imbuypflanzen/Tabak-Saatgut-/_i.html?_fsub=7361356015

It seems like to show the price in Malaysian Ringgit, I dont know why. However, converting to dollar it is 3 dollars with free postage. The description is in German language though. Just paste it to google translate. However, I think it's better for you to get these seeds through Skychaser (http://northwoodseeds.com/Seed List2.htm). More variety, easier for US resident. I keep buying from this ebay dealer because of free shipping. My country currency going down make it very expensive even for 3 dollar flat rate shipping from northwoodseeds

greenmonster714

I am sorry, it is an ebay store page. Here's the link

http://stores.ebay.com/imbuypflanzen/Tabak-Saatgut-/_i.html?_fsub=7361356015

It seems like to show the price in Malaysian Ringgit, I dont know why. However, converting to dollar it is 3 dollars with free postage. The description is in German language though. Just paste it to google translate. However, I think it's better for you to get these seeds through Skychaser (http://northwoodseeds.com/Seed List2.htm). More variety, easier for US resident. I keep buying from this ebay dealer because of free shipping. My country currency going down make it very expensive even for 3 dollar flat rate shipping from northwoodseeds

Wow. That guy sells a lot of seeds. I don't think I've seen a seller on ebay with so many. His seed is $3.19 American dollars per strain with free shipping. On the other hand each strain costs $3.50 with a flat rate of $3.00 shipping per order @ northwoodseeds. So, it may be a bit cheaper with the German fellow. It may take a little longer to get the seeds but when you order in Dec/Jan it would be no problem. Like I said before though. I did buy some seed from a German seller and it got here quicker that a guy I ordered from in the states. I dunno. I'm gonna poke around here and translate some German just for fun. Thanks for the link.

greenmonster714

Also, I wanted to add. I've been translating some of the stuff on the guys page. If I ordered something today the estimated delivery date would be 3/10 and no later than 3/17. That's pretty good service from overseas. It obviously doesn't take much to amuse me. I'm having fun with this..lol.

Tutu

Just to refer back to your very first two posts of this grow log, it's very nice to see a new member so dedicated to start a grow blog. Although I now realize we subscribed to this forum only a few months apart. Quite a list of different varieties you've got there, which I think is probably a great way to get a first hunch of what you like to grow. By the way, is Baccto meant to be some sort of abbreviation of 'tobacco' and 'tomatoes'? I'm pretty sure Indonesians would love that! Here, "National Monument" becomes "Monas" and "Jawa Timur" becomes "Jatim.

Status
Not open for further replies.