Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tutu's Year 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tutu

Yes that's right, I'll move there in a few weeks time.
I know right, I have very little clue why it started flowering already. All of the Mapacho's are doing this. I'm confused and amazed at the same time

Charly

Dominican Republic ! this will be a great place to learn about tobacco ;)
I hope everything will be fine for you !

Tutu

I'll be off to Japan for 25 days so I've made the setup ready. I'm leaving things as they are, and I hope to have prepared things in such a way to have an overlap of flowering when I'm back in the middle of January. The weather's been heavy though, and I'm afraid plants will get blown over. A little slideshow;

• An image of the overall setup
  • This Xanthi plant is pretty close to dying I think. However, there is one tiny sucker starting on one of the sucker stems.
  • These have been in their final containers for a while now. On the left Nostrano and on the right Liquiçá.
  • The great unknown volunteer, pretty sure by now that it's Sumatra. The original one.
  • One of the Mapacho's that started flowering early.
  • Another Mapacho. I've kept two out of the original four.
  • I've planted another Mapacho that has not yet flowered, and on the left a second Nostrano.
  • A small little Rindi which I hope will make it to adulthood while I'm gone
  • Planted two more Liquiçá's to have a total of three.
  • Sultan Albanian on the right, Limonka on the left. The second Sultan died earlier

DSC_0277.jpg

DSC_0278.jpg

DSC_0280.jpg

DSC_0283.jpg

DSC_0285.jpg

DSC_0286.jpg

DSC_0287.jpg

DSC_0288.jpg

DSC_0279.jpg

DSC_0289.jpg

Leftynick

Hey, I thought you already been to Japan. That is why I didn't text you. Didn't want to disturb your holiday session. BTW looking good on all plant. My Limonka and Sultan Albanian are in the same level of growth as yours. Happy holiday!

Tutu

Strictly speaking it's no longer Tutu's Year 2017, but I've decided to carry on in this thread for as long as I am in Indonesia. I have to wrap things up, but I'll enjoy it nonetheless. This is what I came back to after a month of absence.

• All living creatures in a row. A few blow down, two dead, most others were doing okay.
  • After three sucker crops Xanthi gave up. The other casualty was a Mapacho.
  • The volunteer Sumatra has outgrown me. First flowers are starting to emerge.
  • The one healthy specimen of Nostrano del Brenta, the other has developed TMV.
  • One of three Liquiçá. One of the three was blown down, but still going strong.
  • Limonka, of which the first few leafs are colour curing.
  • For both the Sultan and the Limonka I made a mound after getting the first leafs.
  • One of the Mapacho, they started flowering before I left.
  • The other Mapacho, larger, but very small leafs.
  • Insect time!

DSC_0863.jpg

DSC_0885.jpg

DSC_0921.jpg

DSC_0866.jpg

DSC_0960.jpg

DSC_0958.jpg

DSC_0937.jpg

DSC_0961.jpg

DSC_0970.jpg

Charly

Hang on Bob ! I hope your cold weather won't stay for too long ;)
Of course, when we see Anton in his garden, without shirt or shoes... it seems unfair ;)

Nice to see you back Anton !
Did you enjoy your trip to Japan ? :)
Did you see some interesting things ? Did you see some tobacco plants there ?

Tutu

Japan was amazing, what a wonderful country. Found no tobacco, since it was mid winter and below zero at most places I went. Interesting to see what they smoke though, and I've been to a few cigar shops. After three weeks of enduring my first cold Christmas since 2010 I felt I had the right to walk around in shorts in my yard.

I'll include a few more photos in this post. I've started to cure some of the leafs of my current plants to make sure that I can still send a batch of cured leafs to Leftynick. They will all be air cured, as there is no sun here these days. Rain rain and more rain. I'm quite happy with how the two Rustica strains are colour curing. I've plucked two series now, and there's a picture to see how well the first series has turned yellow. The other picture of curing leafs are the Sumatra leafs.

You will then meet the dead Xanthi I dug up.

Followed by the three specimen selected for the first interspecies crossing experiment. Read more about the challenge here. It's two Mapacho's and the Sumatra. Two Rustica's, one Tabacum. I've placed them close the wall so they have some shelter from the rain. I need the tabacum flowers to be dry so I can collect pollen. Easier said than done with this weather. What's also easier said than done is the crossing. Tabacum flowers are easy to work with. Rustica flowers are not at all. They're small, thus very difficult. I've made a few attempts, but I don't feel they were the best attempts. I will continue to do a few a day. I might get a few seeds in the end, or none at all.

Of course, insects. No idea what the previous one was Wes.

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0956.jpg

DSC_0974.jpg

DSC_0993.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0988.jpg

DSC_0878.jpg

OldDinosaurWesH

Tutu:

Do you have many venomous bugs around there? The reason I ask is that I see a picture of a millipede on your blog. Many millipedes and centipedes have a venomous bite. And of course there are lots of venomous spiders. That moth looks like (she?) it has about had it.

Wes H.

Status
Not open for further replies.