Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tutu's Year 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I assume the fermented leaf was in a pile of a different variety. Was it isolated in any way from the surrounding leaf?

Bob

Tutu

Curing Barn

I began growing in pots because I wanted to grow tobacco in a place where I would only stay for a few weeks. That way I could move them with me. Once moved, the main issue was the soil. Although it looks like it's a nice field, it's really only a very small layer of good soil. Underneath it is mostly rubble. Not very nice to grow anything on, if you ask me. So I decided to take up the challenge of growing in pots. And to be honest, I like it so far.

The leafs should be ready to smoke but I haven't yet found the time to do so. Tomorrow morning I'll be off to Malaysia so it'll have to wait for a little longer. I'll make it into cutrag and fill up some filter cigarettes. I'll have a couple of people taste it. Myself I don't smoke cigarettes. I might try to make a cigar out of them, but I'm not sure if that'll work. The leafs were in a Besuki pile and I was not able to separate them in any way. Thus, they smell a bit like Besuki, but still distinctively different.

Below is a picture of the curing barn in which I am currently curing the new Besuki leafs. It's tough though. The sandlugs have moldy/green spots, and the leafs above were harvested a bit too early. It's not been very warm the last week and the curing is not brilliant. A lot of moisture in the morning. I brought in a new set of leafs today, harvested at a more proper time. We'll see how that goes.

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

Leftynick

Nice one. A real traditional looking curing barn. However I supposed it is empty because tobacco season is over. Good luck on your journey and welcome to Malaysia. It is still raining/flu season in Malaysia so be careful.

Bex

Wow, that curing barn is mouth-watering and lovely. Your success with growing tobacco in pots is giving me an idea, as half of my tunnel really does have soil problems. I am wondering about sinking pots into that half side, filling them with compost, so that they grow in better soil. What size pots do you use? When your growing season is over, do you find that the plants are rootbound in the pots? Can you give more info on this?? Thanks!

Tutu

Yes, it's pre-season. Most farmers have made seedbeds and will plant around early May. It's quite rainy here too, so it won't be much for a change. I think curing would work out better if the curing barn was fuller with tobacco and the farmer more occupied with getting a good cure.

Yes Bex, the roots penetrate everywhere as long as you use a good potting mix. The first time I grew in pots this didn't happen, but with later grows it did. There should be an element in there that makes the structure lighter, making it easier to penetrate. If you use only black soil, it will reap lesser results. Also, choose for tall rather than wide pots. This was a very valuable tip from Bob, who drew attention to the perched water table theory. Making your soil more light can be done with cocopeat or rice husk, but maybe there are other things that are more easily found in your area. I estimate that the pots I use are about 40L.

A few more pictures of the yard. The first is one of a blown down Besuki that actually has very good leafs. There's a soca coming up. I've removed all other suckers. Then a picture of the other plants I have, with the last picture showing the 6 hybrids. The three plants in green pots are Besuki, actually the Besuki I found abandoned in the yard (What To Do - Volunteer Seedlings). The two little ones in front are Amersfoort.

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

Bex

Interesting! Those plants looks great. Thanks (and thanks to Bob) for the tip about the tall vs wide pots, and the 40L. I think I may try this, as the soil in half my tunnel is way too heavy to deal with....:(

Tutu

I usually don't have much time in the morning but today I took two photos from the garden from two different angles.
I decided to start sun curing the lower Besuki and KxA leafs.
More and more plants are going into their final containers.

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

Tutu

Regardless of the nice pictures, today turned out to be not so good a day. I found out there was a ferocious attack of the ants going on in my locker. They have eaten through all of my ziplock bags and many of the seed has been spilled. I was able to do a lot of recovery work, but it was a horrible discovery. Also, I decided I would start sun curing some of the lower leafs, but I think I roasted them while green. Some of them stay completely crispy but are still full on green. I hope tomorrow will be a somewhat better day...

Charly

Sorry for your seeds!
If you want to sun cure your leaves, you should first let them yellow in the shade, or in piles, it helps ;)

Brown Thumb

Nice pot plants.
Sorry to hear about your leaf. Practice makes perfect leaf:D

Status
Not open for further replies.