Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

The seeds are on the rockwool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeppelin

Hi everyone,

I joined this forum for two reasons. Maybe I'm the only person IN THE WORLD who has these two overlapping issues.

First, I just got a Zeppelin pipe, and I saw there's a thread here about it, so I posted in that, looking for suggestions on how to smoke the thing.

Second, I have just put some tobacco seeds on rockwool and I hope they are going to sprout. The seeds are labeled as "cigarette smokers blend". Who knows what it will be. I read quite a bit of information about growing, curing and fermenting and the whole thing sounds very difficult to get right. Definitely increases my respect for makers of fine cigars. I mostly planted these seeds for fun, not very confident in getting anything smokable.

greenmonster714

Hello and welcome. I had to do a search to find out what a zeppelin was. Is the picture correct? I posted it to let others know what it is in case they do not. I know nothing about it but maybe someone here does. Looks pretty cool though. I'd pack that thing with some good pipe tobacco and fire it up. Perhaps you can find a video review on youtube.
41qtEcLnpLL.jpg

greenmonster714

About the tobacco seed on the rockwool. I've not completed a grow yet but I am in the process. Most folks here start their beans in a light soil mixture since the seed is so tiny. I used to use rockwool back in the day when I had other hobbies..wink wink. Not saying ya can't do it successfully but to me young tobacco plants are pretty delicate and would be a pain to transplant from the rockwool to any other medium. Even a larger cube. But after thinking about it you can just plop the small cube into a larger 6x6 or whatever.

There's tons of great info here if that tobacco growing bug hits you. Enjoy the site. There are many folks here that can answer your questions.

Tutu

For sure they'll germinate if kept moist. I've used tissues to test for germination rates in the past. The transplanting is a bit of a hassle, like Greenmonster mentioned, but no one at this forum is going to stop you from investing a little extra time into growing tobacco.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Growing tobacco is relatively simple, but a fair amount of labor. Given the investment in labor, I would suggest purchasing seed (here, for example: http://northwoodseeds.com/Seed List2.htm) of known varieties. There's still plenty of time. Different varieties may require different handling, harvesting and curing approaches. Flue-cured, Oriental, and Burley varieties are blended in American-style cigarettes. Each is managed differently.

Check out the growers' FAQ (link at the top of the page), and the index of key forum threads: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3868-Key-threads-in-the-FTT-forum

If you enter your general location into your profile, it will appear alongside each of your posts, and may be helpful to those who reply to your questions about growing.

Bob

Zeppelin

About the tobacco seed on the rockwool. I've not completed a grow yet but I am in the process. Most folks here start their beans in a light soil mixture since the seed is so tiny. I used to use rockwool back in the day when I had other hobbies..wink wink. Not saying ya can't do it successfully but to me young tobacco plants are pretty delicate and would be a pain to transplant from the rockwool to any other medium. Even a larger cube. But after thinking about it you can just plop the small cube into a larger 6x6 or whatever.

Exactly, my plan is to just plant the rockwool itself. I think I can cut the cubes with a sharp knife and plant them directly.

I might get some other seeds to try. I'll see. I don't even have a good location to process all this. I live in an apartment with a patio, so I don't have a barn handy! I'm mostly growing it to grow some fun and interesting plant. It's going to have to grow in a pot / container.

I think after my first attempt, I'll get some more seeds, more carefully selected, and try to develop an "apartment dwellers' GYO method". I would select tobacco that's good for pipes (sweet, balanced flavor), doesn't grow too tall, and can grow in pots.

I found this seed option called Little Dutch: http://sustainableseedco.com/tobacco-seeds/little-dutch-tobacco-seeds.html

It sounds good for my purpose: apartment pipe smoking tobacco:

"[FONT=&quot]It is sweet aromatic tobacco used in pipe blends and as a cigar filler." - perfect flavor

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"It grows to around 3' in height and has narrow leaves growing up to 30" long." - perfect size

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"It matures in only 45 days and is a good choice for container growing." - containers are good

I need to find some way of curing that doesn't require a barn or an entire closet, and I don't want to build a kiln. I have nowhere to store such things.[/FONT]

Zeppelin

Hello and welcome. I had to do a search to find out what a zeppelin was. Is the picture correct? I posted it to let others know what it is in case they do not. I know nothing about it but maybe someone here does. Looks pretty cool though. I'd pack that thing with some good pipe tobacco and fire it up. Perhaps you can find a video review on youtube.
View attachment 20112

Yes that's it exactly. I will also order some of their Zeppelin tobacco to go with it. I fear that this thing will be unsmokable, as all the reviews have said, but when I saw it, I knew I had to try it!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
For an indoor potted plant grow aimed at pipe tobacco, I would suggest one or more small Orientals, such as Xanthi, Izmir, Yenidje, Prilep. These would do well in a 2 gallon pot with generous sun exposure. Although they can grow to 6' in height when planted with wide spacing outdoors, much closer spacing (traditionally 6-12") yields a flavorful 3' plant.

Any variety can be home processed (using the techniques discussed in the forum) to make your own Cavendish and Perique from the cured tobacco.

Little Dutch is a a big plant with a low stature. Even a 5 gallon pot is likely to limit the leaf size. (That is to say, don't be fooled by the word, "Little."

It will be fun to experiment.

Bob

greenmonster714

There are a few folks here that grow in containers with success. I've used rockwool to root cuttings and they do rather well and are easily transplanted into either a larger cube, geolite netpot, or directly into soil. Since the tobacco seed is so small and a certain % of them will not even germinate many seeds are sown at once and then one single plant is harvested from that germination tray and placed in whatever medium you plan on growing the plant in to maturity. Throwing a bunch of seed on a cube would make it pretty hard to when it comes time to pluck out single plants. Then there's the nutrient factor. As you know rockwool has no nutritional value so plants will need fed gradually as the progress in that medium. I'm sure if your using rockwool you would have a ppm meter to gradually feed them the food they need.
Just some food for thought. There's some great info here. I think I spent a few months reading before I did anything. I think they call it baby steps..lol. Best of luck to ya.

Zeppelin

For an indoor potted plant grow aimed at pipe tobacco, I would suggest one or more small Orientals, such as Xanthi, Izmir, Yenidje, Prilep. These would do well in a 2 gallon pot with generous sun exposure. Although they can grow to 6' in height when planted with wide spacing outdoors, much closer spacing (traditionally 6-12") yields a flavorful 3' plant.

Thanks for the advice. I will get some of those and try them. I have a reasonable amount of sun in my patio area and can sue big pots easily. Hopefully they can be processed somewhat easily and maybe I will get to smoke it.

Status
Not open for further replies.