Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

A Little Bit of Cuba Comes to Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

burge

Cuban cigars have always been in Canada. I have smoked cohibas from my brother. I have mentioned the cigar kits and I guess is how old is the baccy? some of the true expensive cigars leaf is 7-9 years old. For a kit what would you buy? Growing is out of the question properly aged leaf is and my brother loves Cuban cigars

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure what you're asking. Most if not all of the cigar leaf varieties at WLT come from bales that have been aged for quite a few years. To get close to a Cuban taste, you can order Honduran Habano, Corojo and Piloto Cubano. Double bind them with Besuki or Sumatra (to make a rock-hard stick), and wrap them in either Honduran Habano or Ecuador Shade. Don's "Honduras Gran Habano" kit is fairly close. (I'm sure Fidel would smile on such a cigar from his smokey cigar heaven.)

Bob

webmost

I blame it on the mold. Once I make a cigar using glue, I end up having to give it away. Two of my three (genetic) brothers are cigar smokers. The two lucky ones each have a small package on its way in the mail, containing one of the glued cigars I rolled out of Havana tobacco (from rainmax), and 1/3 of the gorgeous culebra (also from rainmax).

Those two red ribbons holding the culebras together were just tightly tucked, rather than knotted. I included one little ribbon along with each of the gift culebras, since I got to keep the Partagas band, the stunning box, and the remaining little crooked cigar.

Bob

What do you have against glue, Bob?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
What do you have against glue, Bob?
Rolling a cigar to smoke immediately requires only a few minutes, from whole leaf to cigar in mouth. No glue involved. Once I commit to rolling a cigar with a mold, I need to prepare glue, allow at least two 15 minute rest periods for the glued, bound bunch in the mold, and usually a minimum of overnight drying, to allow the damp polysaccharides of the glue to fully dry. A no-glue cigar is a momentary preparation for smoking. A molded, glued cigar is a project.

Since either way, they smoke just fine, I feel like the project cigar needs to be presented to someone. As you are no doubt aware, I have no compunctions about smoking an ugly, well packed cigar. Although I do appreciate the beauty of a carefully crafted cigar, that's just not a factor in my smoking routine.

So...nothing against glue or molds. They play definite roles in creating a presentation cigar.

Bob

Charly

I agree with your point of view Bob, I did only roll cigars for me (not a lot since I begun), I don't care for the presentation, as long as it gives me a good smoke, I am in heaven.
Of course, I enjoy the presentation of a well designed cigar, but I enjoy also the rough appearence of a simple cigar (like the Toscano).

In fact, I don't have any mold, so the question doesn't even rise for me :D

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The first home-rolled cigars that I sent to one of my brothers (a number of years ago) used no glue, even though I had used a cigar mold. The wrapper closed the head with a lovely decorative twist and knot. They were double-corona size. On the accompanying note, I said, "It's not glued, so stick it in your mouth as soon as you cut the head."

Well...that didn't work out so well. "Your cigars kept falling apart." Cutting an unglued cigar and keeping it from unwrapping is easy, but it's arguably an acquired skill.

Bob

MarcL

aph·o·rism

ˈafəˌrizəm/

noun
noun: aphorism; plural noun: aphorisms
a pithy observation that contains a general truth, such as, “if it ain't broke, don't fix it.”

ras_oscar

We all know that importing Cigars into the US for commercial resale is banned under the embargo. What about importing tobacco leaf as an agricultural product? Inquiring minds want to know :)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Inquiring minds will have to grow their own Cuban tobacco. Whole leaf tobacco grown in Cuban can not be imported into the US from anywhere.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.