Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Trip planned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Harley

I will turn 50 in August and my wife wanted to take me on a cruise but because of that time of year being hurricane season we decided to bump it up sooner.
So...in the last 10 minutes we are booked to go from Tampa Florida to the keys then on to Havana Cuba then to Cozumel Mexico...a cruise and Havana ...2 bucket list items together. How bad ass is that ?

greenmonster714

Awesome. While your in Cozumel try a snorkel tour. There are tons of coral reefs there. It is a scuba divers paradise so I'm sure there will be plenty to see with just a snorkel. I can't imagine any tobacco enthusiast who wouldn't enjoy a trip to Cuba. Maybe you can bring yourself back a load of leaf like rainmax did. Enjoy your trip.

Smokin Harley

We sure will.
When my wife and I got married in Jamaica 3 years ago I did a scuba excursion on the white sand reef off of Negril. I had been PADI certified back when I got out of high school. This was my actual first real dive other than a checkout dive in a murky 50* gravel pit . White sand we dove 60 meters and 45 minutes in 100+Ft vision field ...wife didn't go after they told us we couldn't even take my refresher the same time as her intro class so she backed out after we had signed up. I saw many urn sponges , lion fish, star fish, a small grouper , and a lot of other small fish one would expect to see in a pet shop...those purple with yellow tailed little guys.
Last year for her 50th we went to Cancun and went on a snorkel excursion but the waters that day were not what anyone would call optimum for snorkeling (she'd never been ) it was more like survival . Bobbing around in 2 ft swells in 25 ft for over 30 minutes waiting for the entire boat party to get in and take instruction . We were worn out but after we got under way we did get to see a lot of ocean life .Then the mask and snorkel they gave me leaked. Just wasn't quite as fun or at least relaxing as we'd hoped.
Cozumel should be much shallower ,clearer and more laid back.
For sure going to track down a cigar factory if at all possible. We're getting one of the classic car tours. Hopefully I can get the driver to find somewhere to get out for a handrolled Habano ...or few. Bringing my herfador ,empty .
We're both excited.

greenmonster714

Sounds like a awesome plan. I was PADI certified in Panama (Central Am) and the three years I spent down there I did a lot of diving on the Pacific and Atlantic sides. The Pacific had a 18ft tidal surge while the Atlantic side was barely noticed at 2ft difference. So, we would dive mostly in the Atlantic. I remember one dive we had super visibility. My partner and I were on this huge wall reef at about 60ft. All the sudden a jewfish-grouper about the size of a small car emerged from a reef hole. I just about sheeeet myself. I mean this damn thing could have taken us out..lol. On the same dive we encountered a barracuda about 6' long. He kept following us around for about 10minutes and suddenly disappeared.

I'm sure you will enjoy your trip. Cuban cigars and diving. I gotta say I am a just a little green with envy.

ArizonaDave

We sure will.
When my wife and I got married in Jamaica 3 years ago I did a scuba excursion on the white sand reef off of Negril. I had been PADI certified back when I got out of high school. This was my actual first real dive other than a checkout dive in a murky 50* gravel pit . White sand we dove 60 meters and 45 minutes in 100+Ft vision field ...wife didn't go after they told us we couldn't even take my refresher the same time as her intro class so she backed out after we had signed up. I saw many urn sponges , lion fish, star fish, a small grouper , and a lot of other small fish one would expect to see in a pet shop...those purple with yellow tailed little guys.
Last year for her 50th we went to Cancun and went on a snorkel excursion but the waters that day were not what anyone would call optimum for snorkeling (she'd never been ) it was more like survival . Bobbing around in 2 ft swells in 25 ft for over 30 minutes waiting for the entire boat party to get in and take instruction . We were worn out but after we got under way we did get to see a lot of ocean life .Then the mask and snorkel they gave me leaked. Just wasn't quite as fun or at least relaxing as we'd hoped.
Cozumel should be much shallower ,clearer and more laid back.
For sure going to track down a cigar factory if at all possible. We're getting one of the classic car tours. Hopefully I can get the driver to find somewhere to get out for a handrolled Habano ...or few. Bringing my herfador ,empty .
We're both excited.

You both should enjoy it, I've heard it's good. Have fun!

Charly

That seems to be a good trip !
I have never had the opportunity to visit the underwater world more than just a few feets deep, it must be really cool !
Congratulations.

webmost

Everyone loves a cruise. Water is a spiritual insulator -- trouble can't follow you across water. So all you have to do is go out and surround yourself to get happy. Eat, dance, drink, and buy a T-shirt.

Smokin Harley

Everyone loves a cruise. Water is a spiritual insulator -- trouble can't follow you across water. So all you have to do is go out and surround yourself to get happy. Eat, dance, drink, and buy a T-shirt.

and a healthy handful of Cuban cigars !

rainmax

Founding Member
I will turn 50 in April. I will go to Havana again next year.

Don't forget to have a Daiquiri at Floridita (maybe mojito at Bodeguita del medio). Next door from the left side you have Habanos shop in first flor. Cigars by the stick. If you follow down this street Obispo about five minutes walk you will come to the hotel Ambos Mundos from the right side. Turn right and you are on the street calle Mercaderes. Folow this road you have great cigar shop in hotel Conde la villanueva. In the end of this street is Plaza Vieja. Here you can have the best espresso coffee in town at caffe Escorial. Plaza de Armas is not far away. In short beautiful. Enjoy.

Charly

Maks :
Still a few days to wait and we can wish you a happy birthday ! :)

Thank you for the informations about Cuba, tell us more about your trip so we can enjoy it with you.
I will save those informations, if I am lucky enough to go to Cuba one day, it might be usefull !!

Smokin Harley

Might have to abort this mission.
My dad emailed me the other day that he has had a persistent cough the entire winter,immediate xrays showed some fairly substantial masses in his lungs and further testing (CT scans,etc)needs to be done. The doctor has said it looks weird and not like anything typical of "XXX" but nothing has been ruled out until he scopes it and actually takes some tissue samples which they'll do on site within an hour and a half ,while they're there.
Wife and I are prepared to move down to be by them and if that happens our cruise travel plans and Cuba are cancelled.
so if that happens...anyone know of any employment opportunities in construction in and around North Central Alabama?

ArizonaDave

Might have to abort this mission.
My dad emailed me the other day that he has had a persistent cough the entire winter,immediate xrays showed some fairly substantial masses in his lungs and further testing (CT scans,etc)needs to be done. The doctor has said it looks weird and not like anything typical of "XXX" but nothing has been ruled out until he scopes it and actually takes some tissue samples which they'll do on site within an hour and a half ,while they're there.
Wife and I are prepared to move down to be by them and if that happens our cruise travel plans and Cuba are cancelled.
so if that happens...anyone know of any employment opportunities in construction in and around North Central Alabama?

Really sorry to hear about your dad.....

You might want to check with the several forum members from around that area to see if they know of opportunities.

Smokin Harley

Thanks Dave, Dad had a CT scan last week and it showed a 5.3 cm mass in one lung and a few nodules in the other. Some of substantial size. He said not to worry but back only a few years ago when he had a heart attack and stint installed , those weren't on any xray. He goes back to another dr in the city for a scope and biopsy ,should have the results the same day. Dad is 78 ,mom is 76 . She has 2 artificial hips and can barely walk some days, we can't let her try to handle all this by herself and us living 12 hours away . Our new location would be 12 minutes.
Our plans of moving down there to be by them was supposed to be after I retire which is another 5 yrs from this August. I don't have to tell you , this can't wait. I'm quite excited but quite a bit scared. Work here has been spotty to slow to near nothing. Over the last 5 months I've worked 2 weeks and it wasn't even in my home (union) local area. Got outage work coming up again here in about 2 weeks that is in my local area , should last a month or better but theres nothing coming up again until at least September. If I have to ,I'll come up to work and stay with friends or wifes family for the duration. I've put in to some construction companies down there, one was looking for a commercial carpenter, which I have done. Hoping this is the direction I need to be going,but, Family first.

Smokin Harley

Cancelled the trip and flights yesterday. Now we're planning on moving close to mom and dad ,probably be re-settled down there by Late May/early June if the bid goes through .I'm already pre-approved for a loan. Looking at a 3 bed ,2 full bath house on 2 acres in Grant ,AL. It has all kinds of newly remodeled floors, kitchen ,roof, tons of space ,a walkout basement garage/workshop ,a big separate pole barn (which my son is claiming) a 2 car barn style garage with apartment loft ,an in-ground pool and a small separate stone sided house which is listed as unfinished but I may finish it out if my son decides he needs more privacy, to use as a guest house or might even turn it into my own brew house/personal tavern. So many options.
In short, no tobacco crop for me this year. I'll have my hands full enough as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.