Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Chinese five spice + bergamot

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I was in the kitchen and happened to notice the ingredients of this and it got me thinking:
Cinnamon
Anise
Liquorice
Fennel
Ginger

I thought to myself, that sounds like smokeless flavorings... So I mixed a tiny bit in to a can of unflavored snus and holy crap it works well. The next test is ongoing this weekend, I'm mixing it in with the flour and then doing the cook. So far it's quite nice post cook though and when I get home I'm going to add a tiny bit of bergamot too.

I'll post back with updates, but so far I'm happy with it. If it's in your spice cabinet give it a shot.

RyanM22

Re: Chinese five spice

A bit of soy sauce might work well with that flavor profile (though not with the bergamot, IMO)

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Re: Chinese five spice

Added some bergamot, not enough aging for the flavor to last but while it did it was some top tier flavoring. 5 spice below detectable levels and just enough orange to detect. Awesome.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
This batch keeps getting better and better as it ages, I don't need to wait a week to say the 5 spice+bergamot combo is a winner. Try this!

squeezyjohn

That sounds like a great idea. I might have to try it. Did you use just a regular 5 spice powder?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I did, apparently there are different types and I used the one without hot pepper. Ingredients in op. Use very sparingly and let it sit. It expresses it's taste more and more over time and can be bitter, when I noticed this happening I diluted with more that had only bergamot. I probably could have added more bergamot all said and done, but I don't normally like bergamot so I added very little before deciding I liked it a lot like this.

Now I have a cold and this is my only batch so I started adding menthol too, we shall see how that turns out. I don't like menthol snuff either but am loving it while I have the cold so am trying it in the snus now.

Any new recipes from across the pond?

squeezyjohn

I did, apparently there are different types and I used the one without hot pepper. Ingredients in op. Use very sparingly and let it sit. It expresses it's taste more and more over time and can be bitter, when I noticed this happening I diluted with more that had only bergamot. I probably could have added more bergamot all said and done, but I don't normally like bergamot so I added very little before deciding I liked it a lot like this.

Now I have a cold and this is my only batch so I started adding menthol too, we shall see how that turns out. I don't like menthol snuff either but am loving it while I have the cold so am trying it in the snus now.

Any new recipes from across the pond?

A few - a lot of experimenting but not too much in the way of success (I tend not to blow my own trumpet when it turns out nasty!) ... I've been trying to get a handle on the qualities of the new varieties and curing techniques in smokeless. The home-made carrotte tobacco I shredded with a mandoline slicer to get a perfect long-cut type tobacco so I set about using that in some recipes but sadly it made a very mealy and bitter tasting snus that I don't think has a future unless it gets much much better with ageing. The Galician Original is a fairly light tasting tobacco and has a decent nicotine level so I think it may be good in other blends, but a puro snus made just out of this has very little character!

I have been quite busy with work things ... one of which was writing and recording the theme music for this snus channel on YouTube!

Pasteurized

I haven't' bothered to flavor my last two batches of snus. I've been wondering if I will continue to flavor at all. However, I keep an extensive spice rack because tobacco is not the only thing I like to cook. I keep 5 spice on hand for a particular Thai dish I prepare from time to time, although I still haven't purchased bergamot extract. I'll have to try the 5 spice by itself, because I really appreciate the flavor profile of that particular spice anyway. I imagine 5 spice alone could make an incredible and unusual flavored snus.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Just go easy on the quantity, it goes bitter quickly if too much is used.

I've managed to duplicate General pretty well with just bergamot, ginger and black pepper, last batches have been like this.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Too much for my taste, but maybe try half that and after mixing well and waiting a week you can always dilute with more plain. Or it might need more. The flavor takes a while to come out and one of the components goes bitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.