Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tobacco Crossword Fun 1986

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Fun, Fun, Fun.

What could be more fun than a tobacco crossword puzzle? (Don't answer that.)

In Ann K. Ferrell's 2013 book, Burley: Kentucky tobacco in a new century, she discusses the ebb and flow of support for tobacco by the state's Department of Agriculture, often citing articles from the various official newsletters. One of these examples was a tobacco-themed crossword puzzle, published on page 6 of the Kentucky Agricultural News in October, 1986. As you can see from the photo below, the reproduction of this in Ferrell's book is quite tiny. Even using a magnifying glass, I could barely read it.

TobaccoCrosswordFun1986_book.jpg

I don't particularly enjoy spending time on crossword puzzles, but this 30 year old piece of tobacciana seemed to deserve some attention. So, I spent several hours recreating the grid from scratch, then entering the details of the legend--alternating between magnifying glass and keyboard.

The result is a grid as wide as a full sheet of printer paper, and a legend spread onto two additional pages.

Click for Grid pdf: (180 KB)

Click for Legend pdf: (360 KB)

There's a catch, though. As pointed out in the first image, the answers are "on page 10". Well, there is no page 10 of that newspaper--not in Ferrell's book, and not in any of Kentucky's extensive online archives. (I suppose I could find it in physical form, if I drove to Kentucky, but I won't do that.) So...there is no listing of the "correct" answers.

If you manage to complete the whole shebang, brag about it in this thread. No one can question you.

Bob

Tutu

I will be printing this tomorrow for sure! Though I'm pretty sure there won't be much bragging. I'll leave that for someone else!

Status
Not open for further replies.