Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

WLT Heavy Duty Shredder review

TrumpetMouf

My shredder was shipped with food grade Glycerin as lube. I’ve never used soap and water so I can’t say about that. I ran it backwards and forwards and blew it out with air. If you don’t have a compressor you could use the bottled compressed air in a can like used for cleaning debris from computer keyboards. Lube it and go. You’ll feel it when the burrs are gone and it smooths up. The case of the tobacco is the big deal, I run mine just dry enough to not crumble and turn to dust. Just avoid enough moisture to start gumming up. You’ll develop a feel for that, too. Enjoy your shredder. (y)
Thanks! I wiped the metal down with rubbing alcohol and all the filings cleaned right off with no ill effect! Used some veg oil to lube and everything worked out great!

TrumpetMouf

I clean mine with a little boiling water and a toothbrush in the bath tub, since it's mounted on a board I can clamp to my kitchen table. It only takes a minute and cleans up fast. The boiling water makes it dry very quickly, even the board. I've had mine for 2 months now, and it was a great investment. I smoke a pack of cigs a day, so I've shredded a good amount of leaf so far. It needs another cleaning now, only the second time. I prefer manual as it's less parts to break.

I love this shredder and highly recommend it. Simple, easy to use, built like a tank, quality construction, for a decent price.
Used it for the first time and I agree it was excellent

Homegrowngoodnes

I use one of these 'heavy-duty' shredders, driven by a reversible electric motor.
To clean the shredder I simply reverse the rollers and hold a stiffish nail brush against them. It won't try and swallow the bristles if it runs in reverse.They rollers come up like new. You could do the same thing by hand-cranking in reverse.
Occasionally I also remove the combs and use the brush on these too.
I really don't understand why some people use a hand-held battery drill to power it. The advantage of a powered shredder is that it allows both hands to be free to feed the machine, whereas if you're having to operate a drill with one hand you might as well be cranking manually.
Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to rig the drill up to just set it down and lock it on a certain speed so both hands are free.

Cray Squirrel

Squirreled a lot!!
There used to be a video of a tobacco "shredder" made from an old, reel-type push mower--but with an electric motor attached. (I can't locate it any more.) It immediately brought to mind the wildly dangerous factory machines of the 19th century.

Bob
A rock guy on another forum was the mad scientist, red neck, engineer, welder who built some amazing Rube Goldbergs. Had a big tractor tire that he was working on to use a a rock tumbler. Alas, the diameter was too great and no matter the speed he always generated drive way gravel. Hehehe

GIL

There used to be a video of a tobacco "shredder" made from an old, reel-type push mower--but with an electric motor attached. (I can't locate it any more.) It immediately brought to mind the wildly dangerous factory machines of the 19th century.

Bob
I saw that video, I found it strange that a lawn mower cut tobacco, the first time I found such a machine I modified it and tried to cut some leaves - it works pretty well - I kept the mechanism in place. the possibility of building a tobacco shredder. It is very noisy when it works.

burge

I saw that it would be dangerous, Buy the cutting blades get something to turn them. Because it is a niche now and shipping from oversees it doesn't make it worth it.