Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

WLT Heavy Duty Shredder review

burge

I just thought I would post a topic on WLT's heavy duty shredder for those that have it and use it on a regular basis.

burge

Can someone post reviews and it would be nice to see how it is working and durability real shred size comments please on the plus version

AssyMcGee

This is the shredder that I use. I've had it since August 2016 and I use it for shredding tobacco for cigarettes. I smoke about 1/4 to half a pack of cigarettes a day if that gives you an idea about how much use it gets. It's performed very well. It's very well made. There's been no mechanical issues with it. The only problem I've had with it so far is cleaning it. I can't find instructions on how I should clean it on the internet anywhere and I lost the original instructions. The width of the shreds is perfect for cigarettes. When I have big leaves I use the hand crank as it can get tiring to hold my drill up for an extended amount of time. It just takes a few seconds to process a leaf once you've removed the midrib. With small leaves it takes a lot of time to process with the hand crank.

burge

This is the shredder that I use. I've had it since August 2016 and I use it for shredding tobacco for cigarettes. I smoke about 1/4 to half a pack of cigarettes a day if that gives you an idea about how much use it gets. It's performed very well. It's very well made. There's been no mechanical issues with it. The only problem I've had with it so far is cleaning it. I can't find instructions on how I should clean it on the internet anywhere and I lost the original instructions. The width of the shreds is perfect for cigarettes. When I have big leaves I use the hand crank as it can get tiring to hold my drill up for an extended amount of time. It just takes a few seconds to process a leaf once you've removed the midrib. With small leaves it takes a lot of time to process with the hand crank.

If it is anything like the hand shredders the cheap ones I have used a paper clip or toothbrush to get between the teeth. I have the Powermatic s shredder and thought it would be nice to talk about this shredder. I think if the Powermatic goes this will be my next choice. So small leaves or pieces it sounds like the hand drill is a must.

Orson Carte

I use one of these 'heavy-duty' shredders, driven by a reversible electric motor.
To clean the shredder I simply reverse the rollers and hold a stiffish nail brush against them. It won't try and swallow the bristles if it runs in reverse.They rollers come up like new. You could do the same thing by hand-cranking in reverse.
Occasionally I also remove the combs and use the brush on these too.
I really don't understand why some people use a hand-held battery drill to power it. The advantage of a powered shredder is that it allows both hands to be free to feed the machine, whereas if you're having to operate a drill with one hand you might as well be cranking manually.

Orson Carte

It's a good quality (ie. powerful) ac drill. You can easily disconnect and use the drill for it's primary purpose, if necessary.
I'll try and organize a picture for you. (It's a set-up that the average home handyman can easily emulate).
(Prompt me if I forget - I've got a shower of balls in the air at the moment).

Brown Thumb

If you drink beer, use the backwash left in the cans.
It is a lubercating fluid as well as a cleaner.
works for me, or a beer will work I don't think it matters if it is cold.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
good thread... im getting ready to order this exact shredder.

i had a powermatic electric shredder, but the motor went down. so i made a handle for it. and used it manually.. it got to the point that it is hard to spin the cutters.. so im just gonna get another shredder, and , have the other one on standby.. that i may experiment with down the road. and put a motor on it. and use the one im gonna buy now. as a back-up.

but right now i have nothing. and 3 lbs. of don's bacca still in the bags. so next week i'll be orderinf this shredder,,, so far all feedback sounds good,

OldDinosaurWesH

I've had good luck with mine. I don't use a motor though. When you hand crank, you can feel the amount of resistance being given by the tobacco. If you force the shredding, like with some kind of motor, you will bend the combs. There is a highly technical term for that..."Bad",comes to mind. Then you have to take it apart and use needle-nose pliers to straighten the combs out. A major delay and pain in the you know where. I clean and lubricate mine when it starts to get gummed up. As I recall, the instructions say that any food grade (cooking) oil will do for lubricating the bushings. It is probably not a good idea to use petroleum based lubricants on something you are going to consume...I need to dig around and find those directions...

Wes H.

ZigZagZeppelin

I've had good luck with mine. I don't use a motor though. When you hand crank, you can feel the amount of resistance being given by the tobacco. If you force the shredding, like with some kind of motor, you will bend the combs. There is a highly technical term for that..."Bad",comes to mind. Then you have to take it apart and use needle-nose pliers to straighten the combs out. A major delay and pain in the you know where. I clean and lubricate mine when it starts to get gummed up. As I recall, the instructions say that any food grade (cooking) oil will do for lubricating the bushings. It is probably not a good idea to use petroleum based lubricants on something you are going to consume...I need to dig around and find those directions...

Wes H.

I'm liking mine, it looks like this one exactly: https://www.tobaccoandmachines.com/index.php?s=produkt&id=110

The S100 Plus.

Even WLT price is good, it would cost me more to order from Poland. After applying "Great Deal" I think I payed $120 shipped. Receiving it in 2 days beats 30 days also.

burge

good thread... im getting ready to order this exact shredder.

i had a powermatic electric shredder, but the motor went down. so i made a handle for it. and used it manually.. it got to the point that it is hard to spin the cutters.. so im just gonna get another shredder, and , have the other one on standby.. that i may experiment with down the road. and put a motor on it. and use the one im gonna buy now. as a back-up.

but right now i have nothing. and 3 lbs. of don's bacca still in the bags. so next week i'll be orderinf this shredder,,, so far all feedback sounds good,

I think the feedback is really good and if my Powermatic dies I think this will be the one I will go for. A 110 dollars the lucas ones are almost 3 times the price or the hand one is 200 and not really worth a handcrank shredder at that price. Should be great value and easy to attach a motor to it.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
it should be here tomorrow,,, cant wait to try it... and i'll give my review after i use it,

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
well it arrived today as i predicted.... i used the hand crank and hooked it to a drill.. i think i prefer the hand crank... so i have control of the r.p.m. of the cutters, it's a real solid piece made of stainless steel.. so no rusting issues,

i also like the way DON packaged it... i got a small sample of turkish bacca to give it a run with [ allthough i got 3 lbs. of dons bacca that i been waiting on this shredder to shed ] ......... a nice '' notepad'' with the w.l.t. image on it,, [ very classy ] and a business card of don's....

i must say.. ive made 2 orders so far from don... and all i got is 10 star review of it.. '' VERY PROFESSIONAL....''

ZigZagZeppelin

well it arrived today as i predicted.... i used the hand crank and hooked it to a drill.. i think i prefer the hand crank... so i have control of the r.p.m. of the cutters, it's a real solid piece made of stainless steel.. so no rusting issues,

i also like the way DON packaged it... i got a small sample of turkish bacca to give it a run with [ allthough i got 3 lbs. of dons bacca that i been waiting on this shredder to shed ] ......... a nice '' notepad'' with the w.l.t. image on it,, [ very classy ] and a business card of don's....

i must say.. ive made 2 orders so far from don... and all i got is 10 star review of it.. '' VERY PROFESSIONAL....''

I gotta agree 100% on all of the above! WLT packages superior to all other tobacco sellers. Its smart and professional to do so. Those sealed vapor proof bags are so much better then any the competition uses, it makes a big difference.

Also prefer a manual shredder and that HD one WLT sells is legit.

burge

That is why I started a thread because if my Powermatic breaks down I will need a backup. Its a great shredder but not fond of the cross cut feature and sometimes I would like to have a long shag cut.

TrumpetMouf

Just got my shredder today. Looks super solid but it's got some metal filings on it from manufacture that I'd like to clean off. I get that lubing with veg oils is good but is it safe to clean with soap and water? The metals look susceptible to rust to me which is my primary concern.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Just got my shredder today. Looks super solid but it's got some metal filings on it from manufacture that I'd like to clean off. I get that lubing with veg oils is good but is it safe to clean with soap and water? The metals look susceptible to rust to me which is my primary concern.
My shredder was shipped with food grade Glycerin as lube. I’ve never used soap and water so I can’t say about that. I ran it backwards and forwards and blew it out with air. If you don’t have a compressor you could use the bottled compressed air in a can like used for cleaning debris from computer keyboards. Lube it and go. You’ll feel it when the burrs are gone and it smooths up. The case of the tobacco is the big deal, I run mine just dry enough to not crumble and turn to dust. Just avoid enough moisture to start gumming up. You’ll develop a feel for that, too. Enjoy your shredder. (y)

Iowalez

I clean mine with a little boiling water and a toothbrush in the bath tub, since it's mounted on a board I can clamp to my kitchen table. It only takes a minute and cleans up fast. The boiling water makes it dry very quickly, even the board. I've had mine for 2 months now, and it was a great investment. I smoke a pack of cigs a day, so I've shredded a good amount of leaf so far. It needs another cleaning now, only the second time. I prefer manual as it's less parts to break.

I love this shredder and highly recommend it. Simple, easy to use, built like a tank, quality construction, for a decent price.