Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Moldy Perique

Status
Not open for further replies.

DistillingJim

Had my first go at making some perique last week. Got a metal sugar container and used some c-clamps to put some well moistened burley under pressure with a jam lid. All was covered with liquid and a few bubbles were coming out of the exposed area at the side. All looked fine when I left it but when I returned today I found that the gap around the sides became exposed to air and most of the fluid had evaporated which led to mold growth. I'm assuming this is unsalvagable and intend to ditch it and try again.

Do you guys tend to top up the water level to keep it all submerged or did I do something else wrong? :confused:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. You need to keep the tobacco beneath at least a rim of water. Check it daily, until you get a sense of how rapidly the water evaporates.

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I have a batch going right now. It's the middle of winter with almost no humidity in my basement. I have been adding water every single day for 2 months. It's amazing how quick it evaporates. I guess I could drape some plastic over my container.

Gavroche

[QUOTE = Smokin Harley; 132718] dois garder la natation. Ajouter de l'eau distillée si nécessaire. plastique drapage ne conserve que les débris. [/ QUOTE]

Please WhY Sir ?

Status
Not open for further replies.