Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Youn's first attempt - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charly

Thank you Youn for sharing your moldy horror pictures too ;)
Your leaves seem to color cure very nicely ! congratulations ;)

Pipe smoking techniques require time to master, it's very different from cigars in many ways, it offers a different smoking experience and other flavors, I like cigars and pipes :)

My advices about pipe smoking :
1 smoke slowly
2 smoke SLOWLY !
3 take your time !
4 take care of your packing technique, the tobacco must not be to tight, it has to offer some resistance to your draw, but not too much (begin by making it too lose, it's easier to push more in the pipe to make it more "packed")
5 smoke slowly (did I mention it already ?)

When I really enjoy a good pipe, it's when I manage to smoke really slowly : the smoke is not hot, it's more flavorfull, it doesn't burn the tongue.
Some tobacco burns easily the tongue (virginia and their sugars and acid smoke are responsible, but other things influence it too : the pipe, the humidity of the tobacco, the packing, the pace...)

I do smoke churchwarden pipes too (well I only have one), from my small experience, I can say that the smoke is cooler (IF YOU SMOKE SLOWLY :D )
One other adivce : avoid bent pipes to begin, they are harder to master (and they are often not well carved : the hole in the bottom of the chamber is often too high, they gurgle more, etc...)

One important thing that impact the smoking experience : the size of the hole in the pipe and the stem and in the bit !
If the hole is too small, the smoke bite more and is hot.
You can drill in your stem to make it bigger, so the smoke have more room and can cool down more.
I had some pipes that did not smoke good before I open their holes and stems, now they are cooler and bite less and offer good flavors.

Take your time and it will come ;)

I forgot to say that I love corn cob pipes ! they are cheap, and they smoke great (they have a good sized hole in the stem), the only thing to take care is that the chamber is often very small so you have to make the packing just "right"

Youn

Thanks for those precious advices, Charles.
I want to succeed! Because I like the taste of tobacco without that of paper… and it's a very different and appreciable way of smoking, sure.
I have to work on the packing, I think, because what prevents me from smoking slowly is that it does not stay lit unless I puff on it very frequently.

greenmonster714

Damn, Charly really laid it out for ya. Some good advice. I understand you desire to get away from paper wrapped tobacco. If a person smokes just cigarettes they don't smell it. But cigarettes smell like burning paper. If ya ever smoked a cigar and then lit up a cigarette afterwards. All ya can smell is burning paper..lol. You'll figure it out and once you do I'm sure you'll find great pleasure smoking you pipe.

Charly

Don't worry if the pipe does not stay lit, you can relight it as much as you can. When I begun pipe smoking I did a lot of mistakes : I wanted my pipe to stay lit, I smoked too fast and too hot, I smoked too wet tobacco...

There are many factors that influence how long your pipe stays lit : packing is one of them, but humidity is important, if your tobacco is too wet (or your packing too tight) your pipe will not burn correctly and you will end up draw too much, the smoke becomes hot, you burn your tongue....
The size of the stem hole is another important factor, if too small if will make your pipe gurgle and your tobacco will be moist and your pipe will prevent burning.

Commercial tobacco needs to be dried out before you can smoke it with pleasure.

Personnaly I don't care if my pipe goes out as long as it gives me a good smoke :)

Youn

I tried again, yesterday and today… it's better! I'm starting to enjoy really.
I give some home grown Ohio Dutch scraps a try in the pipe, it smoked really good — it was from seco leaves, less strong than the ligero and very flavorful. No harshness, no tongue bite.
I'm happy :D thank you all for the advices!

Greenmonster, I tried Madole too in the pipe, it was good but less flavorful than the OD (a surprise because when I smoked mud lugs in cigar from those varieties, the Madole seemed to me almost aromatic while the OD was more discreet). Maybe the flavor will improve with age…

Youn

I found the culprit! It wasn't me but a damn metal filter! I removed it and it's perfect, no gurgle at all, no difficulty to draw. When smoking slowly, it's not too hot, and it even stay lit!
Long live the pipe!

greenmonster714

I found the culprit! It wasn't me but a damn metal filter! I removed it and it's perfect, no gurgle at all, no difficulty to draw. When smoking slowly, it's not too hot, and it even stay lit!
Long live the pipe!

I don't like filters. They always tend to get in the way. I wouldnt smoke a cigar with a filter so why would I use one with a pipe..lol. I'm glad you got things working for ya.

DistillingJim

Now you just need to buy a bag of Latakia from Don and your journey to the dark side will be complete.

Youn

Yes, I answered the call from the dark side :D

No, I haven't tried the Latakia yet. I heard it's strong, right?
I'm wandering now in the pipe side of FFT to get informations about those tobaccos and processes specific for pipe purpose…

DistillingJim

Strong in flavour but relatively light in Vitamin N. You should also look into making/acquiring some perique as it plays quite an important role in changing the pH of the smoke and controlling tongue bite.

Charly

Damn ! I forgot to tell you to remove the filter (or metal cooler system) if there was one in the pipe....
I removed those stupid things from my pipes a long time ago :)
Glad you removed it :) :)

Latakia is not too strong, but its strongly smocky, it has a unique aroma that opens pipe blending to «english blends» which I love.
Don't worry, I am sure you will find it good, if you don't you can sell it to me ! :)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A pound of it would last forever.
I've consumed a 10+ pound shipment of WLT Latakia over ~4.5 years. That's roughly 2 pounds per year. An English blend with a modest 25% Latakia would consume 2 pounds of Latakia by making 8 pounds of the blend. I usually go for about 40 to 50% Latakia. So it looks like I smoke about 4 or 5 pounds of pipe tobacco per year.

I thought the huge bag of WLT whole leaf Cyprian Latakia would last me the rest of my life. That would have been true, had I dropped dead this past summer. Instead, I developed separation anxiety as the supply dwindled. But not to worry. Don has shipped me another whopping bag of Latakia, which may or may not last me the rest of my life.

The Latakia blending matrix is here: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads...nds-You-Can-Make?p=96426&viewfull=1#post96426
Making Perique is in many threads. One approach is here: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/2873-Really-Easy-Perique-Press

Bob

Last edited:

Youn

Well, my next order will have Latakia in it, but I'll wait a little because I'm broke! I've already purchased a lot of cigar leaves recently :p

Thanks for the links, Bob.

Today I've been playing like a kid… homemade corn cob pipes :
homemade_corn_cob_pipe_01.jpg

I have my "churchwarden" now! 25cm long (10in)
homemade_corn_cob_pipe_02.jpg
(I took pictures of the pipes alone but all are blurry! Maybe a corn vapor side effect…)

It smoke well but the bowls are really narrow, 1cm in diameter (0.4in).

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Nice corncob pipes. One option to obtain a slightly larger tobacco hole is to coat the exterior of a cob with plaster of Paris (which will require sanding). This permits a thinner wall of cob.

Bob

Youn

Nice corncob pipes. One option to obtain a slightly larger tobacco hole is to coat the exterior of a cob with plaster of Paris (which will require sanding). This permits a thinner wall of cob.

Bob

Good idea, I'll try the plaster.
Yesterday I did not dare to dig too much ; today I made others bowls and I reached 1.5/1.7cm in diameter (≈0.6in) without getting the wall of cob too fragile.

My churchwarden corncob really cools the smoke… too much! It's quite odd, it make me feel like I'm not smoking while I'm smoking!

Status
Not open for further replies.