Youn's first attempt - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
View attachment 21374
It may be Cucumber mosaic virus ?
My impression is Tobacco Etch Virus: https://www.ipmimages.org/browse/subthumb.cfm?sub=6951&area=62

1440034.jpg

A forum thread on the subject: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/950-Tobacco-Etch-Virus-(TEV)

Bob

Youn

Thank you, Bob. Yes, I see pictures very similar to mine on the page you shared. I'll study that.

Youn

Yesterday I topped a lot of plants and applied clay on the cuts, hope it will prevent contamination.
Today I sprayed the plants with nettle manure for the aphids.
Good news : the disease remains unchanged, it does not seem to evolve more.

My very first tobacco flower :
fleur_tabac.jpg
… nice feeling!

Charly

I have a lot of troubles with diseases too this year .... (more on this in my blog)
I hope you will still have a lot of good leaves to harvest !
Hold on !

Youn

August 12 (55 days from planting) :

plantation.jpg

The disease is back! This time, it attacks from the top of the plants - After several days of rain I noticed black dots that appeared simultaneously on the upper leaves of many plants. It's visible on both sides of the leaves :
disease2_1.jpgdisease2_2.jpg
I first believed in a new disease but the dots became red and it finally looks like the disease already present. As before, this does not seem to develop dramatically and only a few leaves are affected.

Here comes pictures of the best plants :
Ohio Dutch :
OD.jpg
Ohio Dutch with blossoms :
OD_blossom.jpg
Vuelta Abajo (I know it's more than mature now but I didn't want to prime before because of the hot and dry climate here at this time…) :
VA.jpg
Madole :
M.jpg
Goose Creek Red :
GCR.jpg

Today I removed the "mud lugs" leaves and stringed it quickly without much care :
mudlugs.jpg

Youn

August 14 :

I made my very first crappy-puro, with Goose Creek Red mud lugs! As an exercise of rolling, of course, I wasn't expecting anything from it!
first_cig_01.jpg

It was too loose, became harch from the middle, etc. But what a surprising taste! It was fruity and reminded many things… my wife took a puff and found mustard, anise and cinnamon in there!
I think that good leaves, well cured and aged will be nice.

Youn

Just add a tighter wrapper layer.

Bob

Yes, I tried it with the "wrapper" (there was binder + wrapper) but the leaf was very fragile and I couldn't remedy.
The next will be better :) I really enjoyed making it, working with the whole leaves is very interesting… I want to make more! and with better leaves!!

Charly

Congratulations for your crop, harvest, roll and smoke !! :)
Your plants do not seem bad at all :) You will have some good leaves to play with !

One advice : you should perhaps put your color-curing leaves under shade, so they can yellow before they dry ;)
The only leaves I let in full sun are brightleaf strains (and only when they are yellow enough).

Youn

Congratulations for your crop, harvest, roll and smoke !! :)
Your plants do not seem bad at all :) You will have some good leaves to play with !

One advice : you should perhaps put your color-curing leaves under shade, so they can yellow before they dry ;)
The only leaves I let in full sun are brightleaf strains (and only when they are yellow enough).

Thanks. Yes, I will have some leaves - Their size is smaller than expected but if this does not affect the quality, it is not a problem for me.

I keep all my color-curing leaves in a semi opened shed, in the shade (what you've seen in full sun were the "mud lugs", it just remained there a few minutes while I was taking the picture ;) ).
The Vuelta Abajo's leaves are already yellowing because I primed it very late. And I watch the others every moment with the anguish of drying green!

Youn

August 16 :

I primed more leaves of Vuelta Abajo and Ohio Dutch :
seco_VA_OD.jpg

Seems that the leaves I primed before are yellowing well, especially the Ohio Dutch. Here are the Ohio Dutch, and the Vuelta Abajo in the background :
yellowing_OD.jpg

Youn

The mud lugs puros series continue :

Vuelta Abajo (much too tight, couldn't smoke it!… I unmade it and smoke it as a cigarette, it smokes good, less aromatic than the Goose Creek Red, more subtil… maybe something floral. A foretaste of classical cigar flavor. I enjoyed it and the future real leaves have me drooling!) :
mudlugs_cig_VA_01.jpgmudlugs_cig_VA_02.jpg

Youn

Ohio Dutch (better draw, still a little tight. It smokes good too, as for the Vuelta Abajo, less aromatic and very subtil with something typically cigar-like, I felt something nutty… I don't know - I smoked it in cigarette too and enjoy it as much as the Vuelta Abajo… drool again!) :
mudlugs_cig_OD_01.jpgmudlugs_cig_OD_02.jpgmudlugs_cig_OD_03.jpgmudlugs_cig_OD_04.jpg

Youn

Madole (this one was a corona size, more or less - perfect draw - I place it between the Goose Creek Red and the two others ; aromatic but a little less than the GCR. It will can add a discreet and special touch in my blend.) :
mudlugs_cig_M_01.jpgmudlugs_cig_M_02.jpgmudlugs_cig_M_03.jpgmudlugs_cig_M_04.jpgmudlugs_cig_M_05.jpgmudlugs_cig_M_06.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.