Grow your own cob- seeds are available from Missouri Meerschaum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
In my pioneering spirit, I'll be planting 4 varieties of huge corn this season: Boone County [KY] from BigBonner, Hickory Cane, Virginia White Gourdseed and Tennessee Red Cob. These varieties reach 15' or so. The several dried ears of Boone County corn that Larry sent me have truly massive cobs.

Maybe the folks at MM have a better variety.

Bob

ArizonaDave

In my pioneering spirit, I'll be planting 4 varieties of huge corn this season: Boone County [KY] from BigBonner, Hickory Cane, Virginia White Gourdseed and Tennessee Red Cob. These varieties reach 15' or so. The several dried ears of Boone County corn that Larry sent me have truly massive cobs.

Bob

Very interesting lineup. I've been interested in the Hopi Blue corn at sustainable seeds. High protein, low carb heirloom strain. Bob, are any of those seeds popcorn?

Here's the blue corn link: http://sustainableseedco.com/certif...rganic-corn-seeds/organic-hopi-blue-corn.html

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The varieties that I'm growing for this year are all field corn (dent corn). I've grown Chapalote flint corn in the past. It's a glassy brown, but smallish ears, with minimal cob. I've also grown Bloody Butcher and Oaxaca Green, both dent corns. Last year was Seneca Red Stalker. I'm really just searching for a named variety that will grow fat cobs.

As for grinding corn (which is a royal pain in the butt), you can use any corn, once it's dried. For popcorn, we're all spoiled by the fat, tender, "hull-less" popcorn, like Orville Redenbacher's. Decades ago, I grew strawberry popcorn, which produces short, pointed ears of bright red kernels. The ears are decoratively cute, and sell well at a farmer's market, but it makes crummy popcorn.

So, for my pipe cob quest, if this year is not a payoff, then I'm giving up, and getting the corn from MM. On the other hand, it would be satisfying to be able to recommend a specific, named variety for producing pipe cobs.

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Low carb corn? Lol, must be a relative thing.

I want to grow some of that SDA soybean from Monsanto, but it's not released as far as I can tell yet. Crossed with fish or seaweed or something that expresses an omega 3 fatty acid profile.

If Monsanto would only cross beefsteak tomatoes with Angus beef I'd be in heaven;)

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I'll be planting 4 varieties of huge corn this season:

Bob

Bob, MM's claim to fame with their corn is not so much their big size but the fact that they've been bred to have dense cobs (thus slowing down burn-outs). I've grown plenty of corn and the cobs always remind me of balsa wood.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I agree. I just don't know what kind of cobs I'll be getting from my planting. I suspect that field corn in general produces denser cobs than sweet corn. The ears that Larry sent me are being allowed to dry through the winter, but they look denser than others I've grown.

Bob

Leftynick

Hey, this is interesting. Anyone know if they ship outside US? I have been searching for variety suitable for making a pipe for some time now.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Leftynick, Click on the link in the first post of this thread, then send them an email to ask about shipping to Malaysia.

Bob

ArizonaDave

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian

Bob

I'm growing Hickory Cane this year too. I had the same thought you did - the cobs might be useful and we can make the corn into whiskey perhaps.

MM's corn has been selectively bred by Mizzou for decades to achieve that particular profile. I hunted for all this online about a year ago and the upshot was that it's all proprietary and so forth. Hickory Cane is probably your best bet.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
MM's corn has been selectively bred by Mizzou for decades to achieve that particular profile. I hunted for all this online about a year ago and the upshot was that it's all proprietary and so forth. Hickory Cane is probably your best bet.

If MM has bred their corn to make the best cob pipes and they are offering their seed why would Hickory Cane be your best bet? I'm confused.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Missouri Meerschaum Corn from rareseeds.com

cn154.jpg

Boone County (Kentucky) Corn from BigBonner

Garden20170322_2504_BooneCountyCornEars_850.jpg

Bob

fatrat

The seeds displayed at Aristocob are the wrong kind of corn. They are displaying a yellow sweetcorn seed. Sweetcorn cobs once dried are usually quite skinny. The corn used by Missouri Meerschaum are a white dent corn that has fat cobs when dried. Aristocob also does not have any contact info that I can see. I would be cautious about ordering any seed from them. Anyone that knows even a little about growing corn would not make such a silly mistake. Aristocob looks very suspicious to me.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Aristocob obtains their seed directly from MM. MM cob corn is open pollinated, and can grow red or white ears, all of which produce a yellow-white dent kernel. As MM specifically noted, fewer than 1/4 of the cobs produced from their corn seed are suitable for use as a pipe cob (unless you make a mini).

As I've discussed in other threads, I have grown numerous named varieties of the largest field corn, as well as MM seed. MM does not produce the tallest or fattest ears, but about 1/4 to 1/3 of the MM cobs were quite fat when dried, and suitable for making pipes. Boone County, Bloody Butcher and Oaxaca Green all occasionally produce solid, fat cobs. But the yield of suitable cobs was highest (though still surprisingly low) with MM.

Bob

fatrat

If Aristocob obtains their seeds directly from MM then why are they dispalying yellow sweet corn seeds in their seed packets? MM uses a hybrid white dent corn. Also MM doesn't tell anyone what the hybrid is. All they have said is they hybrid is a four way cross. They do sell the grain they produce but if you plant it you won't get the same corn and it won't be a yellow sweet corn. Judging by the fact that Aristocob appears to be selling yellow sweet corn seed and has no contact information, I don't see how they can be considered legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.