Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grow your own cob- seeds are available from Missouri Meerschaum

Aristocob has a kit that includes almost 2 dozen corn seeds that are from Missouri Meerschaum (MM) (the same ones they use to make their cobs). MM has bred this particular strain to be big with nice thick side walls. Price is about $10.00 and includes 2 shanks and stems for making your own pipe. Get 'em while they last.

http://aristocob.com/Homegrown-Cobfo...-P5681929.aspx

Re: Grow your own cob- seeds are available from Missouri Meerschaum

In my pioneering spirit, I'll be planting 4 varieties of huge corn this season: Boone County [KY] from BigBonner, Hickory Cane, Virginia White Gourdseed and Tennessee Red Cob. These varieties reach 15' or so. The several dried ears of Boone County corn that Larry sent me have truly massive cobs.

Maybe the folks at MM have a better variety.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    In my pioneering spirit, I'll be planting 4 varieties of huge corn this season: Boone County [KY] from BigBonner, Hickory Cane, Virginia White Gourdseed and Tennessee Red Cob. These varieties reach 15' or so. The several dried ears of Boone County corn that Larry sent me have truly massive cobs.

Maybe the folks at MM have a better variety.

Bob
    Very interesting lineup. I've been interested in the Hopi Blue corn at sustainable seeds. High protein, low carb heirloom strain. Bob, are any of those seeds popcorn?

Here's the blue corn link: http://sustainableseedco.com/certifi...blue-corn.html
    Amateur Cigar roller, Tobacco enthusiast.

The varieties that I'm growing for this year are all field corn (dent corn). I've grown Chapalote flint corn in the past. It's a glassy brown, but smallish ears, with minimal cob. I've also grown Bloody Butcher and Oaxaca Green, both dent corns. Last year was Seneca Red Stalker. I'm really just searching for a named variety that will grow fat cobs.

As for grinding corn (which is a royal pain in the butt), you can use any corn, once it's dried. For popcorn, we're all spoiled by the fat, tender, "hull-less" popcorn, like Orville Redenbacher's. Decades ago, I grew strawberry popcorn, which produces short, pointed ears of bright red kernels. The ears are decoratively cute, and sell well at a farmer's market, but it makes crummy popcorn.

So, for my pipe cob quest, if this year is not a payoff, then I'm giving up, and getting the corn from MM. On the other hand, it would be satisfying to be able to recommend a specific, named variety for producing pipe cobs.

Bob

Super Moderator

Low carb corn? Lol, must be a relative thing.

I want to grow some of that SDA soybean from Monsanto, but it's not released as far as I can tell yet. Crossed with fish or seaweed or something that expresses an omega 3 fatty acid profile.

If Monsanto would only cross beefsteak tomatoes with Angus beef I'd be in heaven

Quote Originally Posted by SmokesAhoy View Post
    If Monsanto would only cross beefsteak tomatoes with Angus beef I'd be in heaven.
    Do you really want your tomatoes to trumpet during the night, and exhibit unseemly behavior toward neighboring plants?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    I'll be planting 4 varieties of huge corn this season:

Bob
    Bob, MM's claim to fame with their corn is not so much their big size but the fact that they've been bred to have dense cobs (thus slowing down burn-outs). I've grown plenty of corn and the cobs always remind me of balsa wood.

I agree. I just don't know what kind of cobs I'll be getting from my planting. I suspect that field corn in general produces denser cobs than sweet corn. The ears that Larry sent me are being allowed to dry through the winter, but they look denser than others I've grown.

Bob

Hey, this is interesting. Anyone know if they ship outside US? I have been searching for variety suitable for making a pipe for some time now.

Leftynick, Click on the link in the first post of this thread, then send them an email to ask about shipping to Malaysia.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast