Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tobacco Use – A Cross-Cultural Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Curious article. The author is deeply into the use of psychedelic drugs (for spiritual purposes)--according to the website's statement of intent. If you're not tripping, then you're just an addict. The Yanomamo are not trippy enough.

Tryptophan cogeners that cause synesthesias (psychedelic experiences of sensory crossover, like "seeing" sounds) have a tendency to bind to certain receptor sites in the brain. These bound moieties can then be jostled loose by some of the absorbed chemicals from tobacco, causing a minor trip.

"Besides offering comfort and rest, the stool provides the smoking man who occupies it a self- and world-centered space for meditative communication with the metaphysical powers. Thus, tobacco, cigar holder, and ceremonial bench function as complementary means of conveyance to the otherworld." That would be me, smoking a cigar on my porch.

"The men place the plucked leaves, including stems, into a hot pot and reduce them, under constant stirring, to a dark mash [that is very concentrated]. This is formed into small, round cakes which, when sun- and smoke-dried, become hard. Someone intent on smoking a cigar crumbles up parts of this tobacco and rolls them into a piece of Couratari paper or Musa leaf." This sounds like they are making a Cavendish tobacco, drying it, then crumbling it to smoke in a leaf wrapping.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

The writer is doing his best to sound professional, but it's pretty clear he's neither a scholar of comparative religion or anthropology. I didn't like how he paints each tribe as having a very singular/exclusive purpose for tobacco use. I don't buy that because he merely stated it rather than provided evidence. Moreover, nothing is that cut and dry. It's like saying Catholics believe in transubstantiation, and protestants believe the Eucharist is simply bread. Both sides are much more complicated.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I guess we should credit the Yanomami with living in the "Alto Orinoco." Their ancestors may have been among the earliest people on Earth to use tobacco.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.