Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Seedlings not growing after 16 days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zapotecorum

Heya guys. I'm growing some Bright VA, TN86, and KY16. This is my first time growing tobacco

Ive read the FAQ and it says the plants should be 6" after 6-8 weeks. However, its been almost 3 weeks and my plants are still only 1/4" tall!

The leaves have gotten slightly larger since they sprouted, but they have not grown in hight. Heres some pics:

http://imgur.com/a/qfVKT

I tried to insert the pics directly into this thread but they were waay too big and i couldnt figure out how to resize them

So is this normal? or are my plants stunted or dieing? pls halp!!!

PS: using regular potting soil and watering fairly often because The room is approx. 77 degrees F, 10%RH and they dry out quickly. Already lost a whole batch of sprouts because i forgot to water them before bed. woke up and they were dry and dead.

BigBonner

Founding Member
They look healthy , But from the soil to the leaves there is too much stalk . I would say they need more sun light .Give them some light and a week and see how they grow .

Zapotecorum

Thanks for the replys guys!!!

They look healthy , But from the soil to the leaves there is too much stalk . I would say they need more sun light .Give them some light and a week and see how they grow .

On that note, what are you using for light?

Glad to hear they look healthy!

I have just been using sunlight that comes through the window, and using the foil to get a bit extra out of it. I could add a regular desk lamp if that is a good idea, i dont have any specific growing lights though

With the peat pots, I would also suggest standing them in a tray, so you can water them from the bottom.

Bob

A plate and water in...

I'll do that!

ChinaVoodoo

Thanks for the replys guys!!!

Glad to hear they look healthy!

I have just been using sunlight that comes through the window, and using the foil to get a bit extra out of it. I could add a regular desk lamp if that is a good idea, i dont have any specific growing lights though

I'll do that!

Sunlight might be adequate, depending on your latitude, and the orientation of the window. (If you go into your profile, you can enter your location so people can have a better idea of what advice to give on some topics). I don't know what budget you have, but I see anything I do to improve my tobacco as an investment because I'm saving $2000 a year on tobacco. Fluorescent grow lights are very helpful. Keep them within an inch of the upper leaves, and they'll grow very well.

You may want to address the humidity. A big dome over them will help. Because they dry out, you're constantly struggling to keep them alive while simultaneously avoiding overwatering.

Zapotecorum

Alright, since my original post ive added a tray and will now water from below instead of spritzing the pots

And i've also mouned a small bit of dirt around each plant and watered that in, so more of the stem is covered

Sunlight might be adequate, depending on your latitude, and the orientation of the window.

I suspect my sunlight isnt enough then. I assumed that because the FAQ said to slowly introduce the plants to sunlight 4 days before transpplanting outside, that they didnt need much if any sunlight at all before that point.

I don't know what budget you have, but I see anything I do to improve my tobacco as an investment because I'm saving $2000 a year on tobacco. Fluorescent grow lights are very helpful. Keep them within an inch of the upper leaves, and they'll grow very well.

My budget is fairly small, because i'm really just doing this for fun. I smoke a pipe and cigars and really just wanted to see what homegrown/home cured tobacco would taste like.

Although i am wiling to spend a little bit on a light(say, under $50). Considering i only have 9 plants, could i cluster them together so that one light would be adquite? And if so are there any specific lights you'd suggest? Or should i just go to home depot and ask for whatever growing light they have

You may want to address the humidity. A big dome over them will help. Because they dry out, you're constantly struggling to keep them alive while simultaneously avoiding overwatering.

I'll see what i can do about the humidity, maybe i can build a small cling-wrap greenhouse or something. The reason the RH is so low is because the room isnt connected to the rest of my houses HVAC, so its just heated with a plug-in radiator and it saps all the moisture out

ChinaVoodoo

Alright, since my original post ive added a tray and will now water from below instead of spritzing the pots

And i've also mouned a small bit of dirt around each plant and watered that in, so more of the stem is covered

I suspect my sunlight isnt enough then. I assumed that because the FAQ said to slowly introduce the plants to sunlight 4 days before transpplanting outside, that they didnt need much if any sunlight at all before that point.

My budget is fairly small, because i'm really just doing this for fun. I smoke a pipe and cigars and really just wanted to see what homegrown/home cured tobacco would taste like.

Although i am wiling to spend a little bit on a light(say, under $50). Considering i only have 9 plants, could i cluster them together so that one light would be adquite? And if so are there any specific lights you'd suggest? Or should i just go to home depot and ask for whatever growing light they have

I'll see what i can do about the humidity, maybe i can build a small cling-wrap greenhouse or something. The reason the RH is so low is because the room isnt connected to the rest of my houses HVAC, so its just heated with a plug-in radiator and it saps all the moisture out

A single strip light would work. Get the cheapest you can find , maybe even at a thrift shop, then go get a new bulb for it, and if the full spectrum or grow light bulbs are too expensive, go for the regular household bulb with the highest Kelvin rating. Low Kelvin bulbs are more yellow, high Kelvin lights are more blue. Line up your plants in a single row and see how long it is. I'm guessing a 2' or 3' bulb will work, but your best deal might be a 4' fixture because they are the most common. Fixtures come in different lengths, and different diameters of bulb. If you get t8 fixture, for example, you have to use t8 bulbs, so keep that in mind. Make sure you can get bulbs for the fixture you are looking at. GE still makes 4' T12 grow light bulbs that are pretty cheap . As for which diameter to get, get whatever's cheapest, but keep in mind T5 is the brightest, t8 is in between and most common, and t12 is the least bright. Either will work. T5 are 5/8" diameter, t8 are 8/8" (1") diameter, and t12 are 12/8" (1.5") diameter. Either will work. T12s are so cool that they can actually touch the leaves without damaging them, whereas t5 need to be an inch away.

Zapotecorum

Alright, thanks man. Really appreciate all the help! I wrote down your suggestions and I'm gonna go head to Lowes while they're still open

Gavroche

he... euros 30 ... 20 the light and 10 the radiator hot
30 euros l'ensemble, 20 pour les lampes neon et 10 pour le radiateur soufflant avec thermostat...

Zapotecorum

Alright! I had to go to 2 different stores and i still didnt find a strip light style plant light. I eventually said screw it and got a round bulb and i'm just gonna do my best to make it work.

Since this is different from what you suggested i decided to start cautiously and keep it far away, and i'll only run for for a couple of hours tonight. Then tomorrow i'll move it slightly closer and give it some more. Its a 120w plant bulb made by philips (this one specifically http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/046677415303/agro-plant-light/overview)

Tomorrow i will try to think of a way that i can trap the humidity.

IMG_20170319_190037[1].jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
You're too quick for me. For next time, this 18" under-counter fluorescent fixture from Walmart (with its default tube) would work well, supported on blocks at either end.

f2bad8ac-f8bb-46ff-bfc7-612a23cd5cb0_1.5101e08dbbf4639d6ced90cb25cd586b.jpeg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lights-of-America-18-Under-Cabinet-Fluorescent-Light/16877468

Regardless of the light used, I would suggest a daylight period that matches your current daylight hours.

Bob

BigBonner

Founding Member
Next question ? Old house or new house . New houses windows have a tint Low E for keeping out the hot sun . This will keep plants from growing .
I put Low E windows in my home and now my wife can not grow any inside plants .

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Humidity trap: ziplock bag

Best way is germinating in a Tupperware or something else that closes, then transporting the seedlings to cells.

ChinaVoodoo

Alright! I had to go to 2 different stores and i still didnt find a strip light style plant light. I eventually said screw it and got a round bulb and i'm just gonna do my best to make it work.

Since this is different from what you suggested i decided to start cautiously and keep it far away, and i'll only run for for a couple of hours tonight. Then tomorrow i'll move it slightly closer and give it some more. Its a 120w plant bulb made by philips (this one specifically http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/046677415303/agro-plant-light/overview)

Tomorrow i will try to think of a way that i can trap the humidity.

View attachment 20202

It's smart to be cautious with the distance.you should be able to comfortably leave your hand at the same level as the tobacco, and judge how hot it is. Warm for you= hot for them. That's too far, though and I suspect you can get closer. If you half the distance, you increase the light intensity by four times. A third of the distance, 9 times, a quarter the distance, 16 times. I'm guessing you can get that light within 8"of the plants, so long as they don't dry out.

Edit, oh and just leave it on during the day to supplement the sun light.

Smokin Harley

bottom heat mats 24/7, water from below to be damp but not wet , fertilize with a weak solution ( I use superthrive)but 10-10-10 works, and keep fluorescent light source as close to the plants as possible. They'll perk up and take off. By 6 weeks they should be almost at the third or fourth set of leaves.

Zapotecorum

Next question ? Old house or new house . New houses windows have a tint Low E for keeping out the hot sun . This will keep plants from growing .
I put Low E windows in my home and now my wife can not grow any inside plants .

Well the house is apprx 40 years old but these rooms are a relatively new addition, so the windows are also new, under 10 years old.

Humidity trap: ziplock bag

Best way is germinating in a Tupperware or something else that closes, then transporting the seedlings to cells.

Oh sweet! that is perfect. i'll do that first thing in the morning

Warm for you= hot for them. That's too far, though and I suspect you can get closer. If you half the distance, you increase the light intensity by four times. A third of the distance, 9 times, a quarter the distance, 16 times. I'm guessing you can get that light within 8"of the plants, so long as they don't dry out.

Edit, oh and just leave it on during the day to supplement the sun light.

Gotcha! i'm home most of the time so i'm able to check up on them pretty frequently. After the first batch died because i didnt water overnight i've become kind of hyper-vigilent. I'm just gonna slowly move the light down a couple inches a day till its about 1 foot away and if they are faring well for a few days after that i might nudge it down a bit more and leave it there.

And thank you all again for the advice! I'm really glad i found this website and i'm sure this wont be the last time i come here for help. I'll do a bit more exploring the boards tomorrow and maybe start a grow-log

ChinaVoodoo

bottom heat mats 24/7, water from below to be damp but not wet , fertilize with a weak solution ( I use superthrive)but 10-10-10 works, and keep fluorescent light source as close to the plants as possible. They'll perk up and take off. By 6 weeks they should be almost at the third or fourth set of leaves.

I think he's gone and gotten an incandescent light.

Zapotecorum

I think he's gone and gotten an incandescent light.

Yeah i ended up with an incandescent. Thankfully it was pretty inexpensive so if need be i could get a different one. I'll look into that fertilizer, I think i can find Superthrive locally. I see you have a thread on it in the fertilizer section. Would this be a good solution for me?

1 single drop per 1/4 cup of water,

would 1drop in 1/4cup water evenly distributed among the 9 plants be a good ammount?

Status
Not open for further replies.