Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

IT'S GOT TEETH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolledroyce

Nature generously offered me this year a few self sown plants, left overs from last years experiments, it came as a welcome surprise as there was very limited time for gardening this summer. I tucked them into pots, added a little natural fertilizer and thought I'd just let them carry on without interfering.
Unfortunately they don't look at all like last years crop...A little to aggressive in my opinion.
I'm suspecting a nutritional problem (lack of calcium maybe?), although disease can't be ruled out.
Any comments, suggestions or opinions greatly welcome.

Attachments

• Alien.jpg
    Alien.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 8

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That does look like the signs of calcium deficiency. Calcium deficiency can result from inadequate calcium in the soil, from unsuitable soil pH (should be between ~5.8 and 6.2), or stunted root growth.

If we assume that the pH is appropriate, and that there is adequate calcium already in the soil, then topping the plant as soon as it is ready will increase root growth, and likely eliminate the leaf cupping.

Here is a discussion: https://tobacco.ces.ncsu.edu/2015/07/calcium-deficiency/

Bob

Rolledroyce

Good point. I've been playing around with biochar lately to offset the poor local soil conditions, it could have turned the ph completely upside down.

Status
Not open for further replies.