Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Squeezyjohn's grow blog 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeezyjohn

Well - it's an interesting one this year. Seeds are sown ... but the main thing is that I have had to send an application to handle raw tobacco off to the customs and excise people as the law changes on 1st April making the handling of all raw tobacco illegal unless the handler has a license to do so. This is a tough one for us in the UK. Technically the plants while growing are fine so I have until about mid-august to sort out the details. However - as soon as the plants are dead - it's technically raw tobacco meaning I'd need to be licensed to put the plants on my compost heap (which is one of the criteria I have applied for). I also applied to make my own snuff from the leaves, a product which incurs no tobacco taxes here.

Anyhow ... I have been given some lovely looking seeds for this grow - Olson 68 rustica and yellow dark air cured from SmokesAhoy, both of which look like great candidates for pursuing the kind of "snuff" I like. Olson 68 seems like the strongest rustica out there and would be perfect in a swedish style twist chew if only I was allowed to make it. In addition to these I'm germinating plants of Bolivian Criollo Black, the single best plant for making a quality "snuff" that cures easily here.

The rest of this grow blog may remain as cryptic as this first post ... but you can't be too careful can you? I want to be on the right side of the law, which is clearly an ass!

Charly

Good luck with your grow and with the law ... :( (Where is our freedom...?)

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I look forward to seeing your thoughts on those varieties. The dark air yellowing trait is supposed to kick in 4-6 weeks after topping.

DistillingJim

I'm really curious how HMRC treat your application. Its good that we can grow at least, even if any questions and contributions about curing and blending are purely for research and academic purposes :)

Markw

Good luck with this years grow Squeezy, hope it all goes well for you and I hope you get the paperwork sorted,

Status
Not open for further replies.