Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Damping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

Been gone a while. Starting only an informal grow this year. Never had this happen before....Dying off.

Attachments

• 14910109653690.jpg
    14910109653690.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 13

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome back. I think you're correct, that it is damping off.

Once I've picked through my germination jars, and taken all the seedlings I want, I'm not as careful about those jars as I should be. In the image below, damping off has killed the seedlings in the upper half, and spared the lower half. I had left the lid resting loosely on the jar, while it was exposed to partial day direct sun. I believe the dead half was blocked from the sun by the lid, whereas the live half directly faced the window.

Garden20170331_2539_dampingOff_400.jpg

Usually, just adequate water, a thin sun shade (a single layer of Agribon AG-15), and direct sun exposure suppresses the fungus, and spares the remainder.

Bob

DGBAMA

Harley.....Crowded yes but I've had them last for weeks like that.....They don't grow much but don't die either.

Bt.....No fuzz.

Bob....They may have cooked, you have a point. Domes keep plenty of moisture, but my window got a lot of sun this week.....High moisture and direct sun in combination is a likely culprit.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
If you'll sprinkle a fine layer of milled sphagnum moss on the surface of the potting soil, either before or after seeding, you'll have no problems with damping-off. I've been doing it for decades and never a problem. It's available at most garden centers.
Also, covering the pot while sitting in sunlight is not a good idea. Yeah, it'll 'cook' them.

Status
Not open for further replies.