Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Do I need a heat mat to start seeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwaller

First time grower here! Seeds were sown about 5 days ago in Jiffy starter mix. The starter pots are covered with a humidity hood and are staying nice and moist. Still no signs of life. The seeds are indoors where the temp averages 68F. Do I need to provide a warmer environment to ensure germination, or do I just need to wait?
Thanks!

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I don't and I'm zone 4. I do put them in a south window though where the sun heats them all day though.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Oh actually unless you are laying down hundreds of seeds per cell or something like that try sprinkling a few seeds in a cup of seed starter media and cover with plastic wrap. Then transplant to those cells when you have 2 leaves. Cotyledon leaves

ChinaVoodoo

I don't use a heating mat, but I start my seeds on tables, covered by a plastic sheet, within a heated room (75F). The sheet prevents evaporative cooling of the soil. I remove it after they are all sprouted to prevent mold, but if you look at my grow blog, you'll see they are growing fine. The room is also humidified to prevent this evaporation. The fact they are on tables ensures the bottom of the trays are just as warm as the room, rather than the floor. 9 types of tobacco germinated in a week or less, while two took two weeks, and one took two and a half weeks. I had one batch of tomatoes, and peanuts in there, and they germinated in 4 to 6 days. However, another batch of tomatoes, eggplant and peppers which were instead in a corner with two windows, facing south and east respectively, on the floor, have not shown any life in 6 days so far. I have a heating mat, but I fear from the one time I used it that it is too hot. It got up to mid 80s. A thermostat would help. I'm using my heating mat outside in a cold frame with my onions.

greenmonster714

This is my first grow as well. If you check out my grow log you'll see I used a closet and one incandescent bulb and one power saver bulb. The incandescent is in there for heat. They throw off a lot of heat. The closet stays a steady 75-80degrees. All the seeds I had have germinated within about 4-5 days. I don't have a heated mat either so I came up with this. Best of luck to ya.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Tobacco seed should germinate at ~60ºF, though it will certainly take longer than at 75ºF. There are a very few varieties with seeds that are photosensitive (e.g. Maryland Mammoth and Ky 16), which require some light exposure before they will germinate.

Sometimes, germination is a race between the seed success and competition by natural soil microbes. If the germinating time is very long, then the seeds can be consumed by the microbes.

Bob

Charly

Many members use heat mat to start their seeds/seedlings, but it is not needed, it does only speed up germination and grow ;)
I do not use any artificial light/heat and my seeds germinate well. It can take 2 days to nearly 2 weeks (depending on the varieties).

mwaller

Thanks guys! You gave me an idea- our downstairs bathroom / sauna area has a dedicated wall heater. I can keep that at 75 without impacting the rest of the house!

Smokin Harley

I use one . 24/7 up until plants are ready to set out. I stop using the clear humidity hoods once theres 4 sets of leaves or you need to give them a haircut.

mwaller

Criollo 98 wins the germination race!

Attachments

• IMG_20170402_171749903.jpg
    IMG_20170402_171749903.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 7

mwaller

Now that my seeds have sprouted, I've placed them under fluorescent lights. Is there any reason to turn the lights off at night, or can I keep them on 24/7?

mwaller

Do these seedlings look healthy, or are they "leggy?"

Attachments

• IMG_20170404_194630340_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170404_194630340_HDR.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 10

greenmonster714

Maybe drop that lamp right down on top of them. If it is a fluorescent it should not harm them or get to hot. I have mine almost touching the plants.

mwaller

Ok, thanks! I have the T8 bulbs about 1 inch above the humidity hood. When they get bigger, I can lower it further with the hood off.

Smokin Harley

Now that my seeds have sprouted, I've placed them under fluorescent lights. Is there any reason to turn the lights off at night, or can I keep them on 24/7?

advice on that will be 50/50. I leave my lights (and heat mats) on 24/7 until a week before I set them out then I follow daytime light schedules.

Status
Not open for further replies.