Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pa Red has anyone grown it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thedbs999

Got some seeds and since is my first time trying it, I was wondering how it tasted, or perhaps what to blend it with. How does it go with a Habano 2000 wrapper?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Pennsylvania Red kilns to a deep wood and leather aroma, and blends well with other cigar varieties. It does go well with Habana 2000 wrapper, though it can work well as a wrapper on its own.

Bob

Thedbs999

Bob, thank you for the reply.

I've been hanging around this forum for several months trying to soak up as much information as I can.

I've never grown tobacco before and have decided on a first grow of Pa Red, Little Dutch, Fla Sumatra, Habano 2000, and Cuban Criollo 98. I've been thinking about removing one of the strains as Iam not sure if i have enough room to grow them all. The Pa Red was the one I was considering on waiting until next year to grow. Actually, Iam really lost right now, and any help is greatly appreciated.

Dan

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
FL Sumatra is not particularly useful in filler, since it offers little flavor. You may get adequate wrapper quality leaf from most of the other varieties.

PA Red and Little Dutch are somewhat similar in flavor, though the Little Dutch is notably more intense.

You can space all of the plants at ~21" in staggered rows. If you need to drop one for this year, I would say goodbye to the FL Sumatra. You can grow it next year.

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I'd drop the Sumatra too. And I'd try to grow more criollo, even by amending random holes around the yard and in 5 gal buckets. Criollo is a goodie.

Thedbs999

I'll be removing the Sumatra from my grow. If i can find more space, I give it a try. Already going to use 5 gallon buckets for the Little Dutch.

I was thinking about using it for a binder and the habana 2000 for the wrapper.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Penn red that I grew was big and stayed dark green after topping . It also produced a lot of of suckers . This one a five gallon bucket will not support the plants .

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Do you have any of that pa red available for sale yet bigbonner?

ArizonaDave

Penn red that I grew was big and stayed dark green after topping . It also produced a lot of of suckers . This one a five gallon bucket will not support the plants .
BigBonner, SmokesAhoy was asking if you have any pa red available yet? I'm kind of interested too. Especially considering that this is one deluxestogie has praised in previous threads.

Do you have any of that pa red available for sale yet bigbonner?

BigBonner

Founding Member
I have some around under a pile of tobacco somewhere . I just have to find it . My barns are a mess . I will look and see if I can find it . I did not have enough to bale so I hand tied it and pressed it . The pen red is 4 years old .
I have plans on growing more this year .

With recent storms we had I am lucky to have any tobacco barns . The first day of March we had two small tornados come through . It took down one of my small barns ,a neighbors barn across the road , a house 200 ft from my barn and two barns a couple of miles up the road from my house .

Smokin Harley

Bob, thank you for the reply.

I've been hanging around this forum for several months trying to soak up as much information as I can.

I've never grown tobacco before and have decided on a first grow of Pa Red, Little Dutch, Fla Sumatra, Habano 2000, and Cuban Criollo 98. I've been thinking about removing one of the strains as Iam not sure if i have enough room to grow them all. The Pa Red was the one I was considering on waiting until next year to grow. Actually, Iam really lost right now, and any help is greatly appreciated.

Dan

Nice lineup . I've grown all of those myself. You'll do well.

Brown Thumb

I have grown quite a bit of it. Good chit in my book.
I use it in my cigg mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.