Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

DubHelix's 2017 Grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubhelix

So, a bunch of my leaf is color cured nicely, except the stem, which is still green and succulent.

Is there a downside to pulling the leaves in that condition and hanging them in a dehumidifier space temporarily to "stem kill", then returning them to the shed overnight to return to order? Or is it better to remain patient and let the stem dry naturally?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0

ChinaVoodoo

So, a bunch of my leaf is color cured nicely, except the stem, which is still green and succulent.

Is there a downside to pulling the leaves in that condition and hanging them in a dehumidifier space temporarily to "stem kill", then returning them to the shed overnight to return to order? Or is it better to remain patient and let the stem dry naturally?

If you increase air movement and decrease humidity, the only drawback is that you can't hardly touch them without breaking the leaves. You do have the right idea.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A green, succulent stem is prone to molding if it isn't well dried. You won't be smoking that part anyway. You can just bring them inside to dry. Another approach is to lay a stack of these green-stemmed leaves onto a seedling heat mat for a few days. Rotate if needed. The stems need to be crispy dry to prevent mold.

A curious aspect of this mold issue with stems is that the stem tends to be more hygroscopic, even after it is fully dried. So, under the right conditions, the stem may mold, while the lamina remain perfectly fine and usable.

Bob

dubhelix

image.jpg
My 17 plants yielded just over four pounds of cured leaf. (Minus whatever I smoked in the curing barn. lol)

the Rot front Seco and Ligero smells strongly of black cherries/dried fruit with licorice undertones.

Almost all of it has been stripped, dessicated, and powdered for Snus production.

the 17 stalks have all re-sprouted, and will likely yield another pound of raggedy odd sized leaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.