Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: DubHelix's 2017 Grow

I too would be very interested if anyone has information about the curing of the dark air varieties, even if in my case it will be for smoking (not snus)

Beautifull plant your Rot Front ! and big leaves

1 members have Nominated this post.

Charly,
    Here is a document regarding dark air-cured tobacco management. I hope it is of some use to you.

http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agcomm/pubs/a...153/agr153.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by dubhelix View Post
    Charly,
    Here is a document regarding dark air-cured tobacco management. I hope it is of some use to you.

http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agcomm/pubs/a...153/agr153.pdf
    Nice article. Thanks for sharing that.

Very interesting article, thanks Dubhelix
    But now I have more questions :
    - I suppose I can prime the leaves instead of stalk harvest (to string leaves as soon as they are mature/ripe enough)
    - in this document they are only color curing and drying the leaf and they do no "fermentation"... so the question is : can I kiln dark leaves ? Is it a good idea ? Will it improve the quality of this kind of tobacco ?

I would kiln it.

Bob

Charley to be honestly I don't klin my leaf but I have read some disruptions that say that you shall first let the leaf's dry in Air till it brown and after that klin them 4-5 days to get a good quality. But as I say I have never done that (making oral snuff my self so..).

Yes. Color-cure the leaf first. Dark-air leaf given 30 days in a kiln will fully age it (and won't turn it into cigar leaf).

I admit to having grown only one variety of Dark-air, Little Yellow, but kilning mellowed it nicely. The higher the humidity during color-curing in the shed, the darker the leaf color.

Bob

I think I will make some tests
    I may kiln only a part of the dark air leaves and see what changes occurs, I will report when it will be done (for now the plants are still growing)

Another question (sorry DubHelix if I spoil your grow log...) : is there any advantage to stalk harvesting instead of priming (in general, and specially for the dark air varieties) ?
    I understand that it might be easier (less work) to stalk harvest, but is it better for the leaves ? does it make curing easier ? or does it give other flavors/strengh/aroma to the final leaves ?

I think the greatest benefit to stalk-harvested leaf is that the presence of the stalk slows the curing (dying) of the leaves. So you reduce the likelihood of drying green, and increase the likelihood of darker colors.

Bob

That's something I thought too, but in the same time, it might increase humidity and increase mold risks...
    Stalk curing might be a good idea in dry regions.

That leads to another question (sorry again DubHelix ) : is there a benefit to have darker colors (while air curing) ?
    Last year, the leaves which ended darker than the others (after air curing) were not great (cherry red and semois leaves)
    The darker shade might be more appealing, but the taste was not better at all... do you think some strains are better when cured to darker color ?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast