Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Using soil amendments to change the taste of tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I'm not sure soils really add much. I've tasted identical strains grown in different regions and they're really close with the difference possibly simply just being different cultural practices.

ChinaVoodoo

There are so many variables that would hide the effects of soil composition. If you combine the factors of weather, level of maturity when picked, curing temperature and humidity, aging temperature and humidity, the weight of the pile, the amount and intensity of sun in that part of the garden, npk levels, humidity when growing, how much you water, how much it rains, when you fertilized... I think you would need a laboratory to control all these variables before you could have any clue.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
You'll note in the table at the end of the article pH values of 7.64 and 7.58. Tobacco grows poorly, and frenches at such a soil pH. So the indicated values appear to be the pH of cigars. This says to me that their leaf fermentation differed.

Bob

Charly

Thanks, very interesting article,
It could be cool to test the impact of "iron" on final taste, it could be easy to try on small crop like ours : same soil, same terroir, same weather....
All we need is to prepare two rows of the same strain, side by side, and add iron to one of the rows :)

Gavroche

However, the important factor is that the tobacco farmer knows his soil and can select precisely the seed that best suits his terroir.

Cependant, le facteur important est que l'agriculteur du tabac connaît son sol et peut choisir précisément la semence qui convient le mieux à son terroir.

Skinnerfarms

I know the reason flue cured is so high of quality in NC is the land is low in chlorine, and the sandy loam leaches Nitrogen fairly predictably, so you get a good starved plant at ripening that cures to perfect gold. Not really the place to say it maybe, but if Nitrogen is high, its scalds up black/brown and cures horribly. Smokes very harsh as well. Same for high chlorine, like you would find in a Muriate potash.

Lower N, leads to less lbs, but cures out lemon for a light sweet product that soaks up flavoring exceptionally well (the Chinese love it).

While a high potash index can make a flue leaf cure orange instead of yellow, for a full flavor (american style) tobacco.

Not really much experience past those little tidbits. I would think most regionally produced tobacco has as much to do with the micronutrients and soil agronomics as climate and culture.

You can't out cure bad fertility.

Sorry for Zombie post. Just saw the thread and thought, I might could toss out what Bill Collins taught me.

Status
Not open for further replies.