Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

DAE Find Dark Air Cured to be the Best Value for Snus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pasteurized

I'm presently finishing up my first snus batch using the dark air cured. Generally, we assume snus is 50% water. That means using 50 grams of tobacco flour with 50 ml (grams) of water will leave us with 100 grams of finished snus product. However, due to the thick leaves of the dark air cured and thicker stems (I always include stems in my snus), more water is required to get the dark air cured moist enough to pastuerize. Due to this, 50 grams of dark air cured requires roughly 70 ml (grams) of water instead of 50 ml (grams) of water. This means 50 grams of dark air cured leaves me with 120 grams of finished product instead of 100 grams. For every 50 grams of dark air cured use, I get 3 40 gram cans of dark air cured. Given the dark air cured costs a couple of extra dollars per pound, the extra cost is more than paid for with the resulting excess in finished product, as compared to the burley or the Maryland. Is it just me, or did anyone else notice this considerably excess amount of finished snus product when using the dark air cured tobacco?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Dark air is one of the best if not the best snus leaf that I've found. Burley red tips also make a fantastic snuff though that while not usually as strong as dark air has a softer texture and natural chocolaty flavor. Bigbonner sells the red tips if you haven't tried them yet give him a private message and he'll set you up. I normally mix the two.

One of the best flavored I've had was when FM carried a chew blend of scraps. It was all kinds of cigar scrap leaf. So now I save my clippings from cigars and use those. Makes for a great tasting snus.

Pasteurized

Dark air is one of the best if not the best snus leaf that I've found.

Agreed. The smell of it prior to processing is both intense and delicious. The finished product astounded me.

Bigbonner sells the red tips if you haven't tried them yet give him a private message and he'll set you up.

I messaged him for pricing. I won't buy any time soon though. I use 3.3 grams snus per day. I had 5 pounds on hand at the first of the year. It will take me quite some time to use up my present stash. I am very curious as to his pricing though. Thanks for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.