Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

smokesahoy 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
picture update 8/15/12 1930, plants 5' topped, 6' at the crows foot
DSCF1449.jpgDSCF1450.jpgDSCF1451.jpgDSCF1452.jpgDSCF1453.jpgDSCF1454.jpgDSCF1455.jpgDSCF1456.jpgDSCF1457.jpgDSCF1458.jpg

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
you see there is 1 unbagged, that is just to put my mind at ease. the winds were whipping around really hard and i was afraid the bag would act as a sail and decapitate the largest source of this seed remaining in the world!! hehe, well, i have hay farmers and dense woods for a mile around me so i'm not really worried about cross pollination but i dont want to put all my eggs in 1 basket with a seed this rare so to put my mind at ease i am allowing at least 1 other to go to seed, still on the fence about some of the younger plants, i probably wont let them seed too but this year my priority is a)more seed, b)more bagged seed, c)fantastic smoke.

that plot there has like 23 plants, it's missing the middle of the center row, otherwise it would be closer to 30, next year i will make that plot longer and wider to accept 100 plants (10 rows of 10), i figure that is fine. yield off 100 plants would be between 12-25 lbs and i'd be happy with that.

oh and note the lack of insects :) this plant scares em.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Your beautiful grow is making me wonder how well Guatemala gets along with Peru. My Machu Picchu is a wrapper type, supposedly strong, but it didn't scare away all the bugs. I haven't tried any yet.

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
You like that paint strainer bag idea? I don't see anything getting thru that weave.

Tom_in_TN

Smokes, I sense a sort of giddiness in your posts lately, and you do appear to have a fabulous grow in progress. We definitely need to do some trading. What do you want for a teaspoon of those seeds? The sky's the limit.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Have any daughters? :)

hah, kidding, no worry about seed. I am going to hang the whole stalk at the close of the season and let the seeds get every last ounce of life from the plant, when it's dried up i'll harvest them, but i figure that will give them the absolute highest chance for each individual seed to thrive.

Next year I might do a couple of the bread n butter strains since i'll be topping everything and not worrying about seed saving. Maybe do some YTB, it seems to be on everyones must have list, and I nearly grew it out last year.

But then again maybe not, in reading about ti464 I ran across http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=17954011 that mentions ti959, so i might try to acquire that strain next hehe, maybe cross the 2 and see what super plant i get. I dunno thats far off :)

I never water my tobacco, figuring it was just some really awesome soil, but in some late night reading up on where it came from it turns out that Zacapa, Guatemala, consistently has droughts lasting for months. My plants are in the prayer position even during the hottest time of the day, it's nothing to them. It is possible that this might be an exceptionally drought tolerant strain too, so something to think about for people with water issues.

well it's not all flowers and sunshine, if anyone doesn't like suckering, keep in mind this plant might not be for you. I'd say it regenerates a new sucker every 3-4 days at every axil and has been doing that since about 4-5 weeks from transplant probably. i first discovered them at about 6 weeks and they were a pretty good size at the time, 1-2"

And yeah i'm happy, ever since i smoked the first mud lug cigar off it and said wow to myself. there is some flavor packed in there.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i hear ya on a plant that dont do nothing but make suckers,

i grew a strain this year that did nothing but sucker-up.

with my hours, at work, i need a sucker-free plant,{ or teach my daughter how to '' tend to baccy ] ''

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Yeah I usually drink my coffee in the patch and give them the once over for suckers. I'd say this strain is worth growing even with the sucker production though.

Tom_in_TN

Smokes, the spacing on your plants look to be 2 feet or so. Does that allow you enough room to easily sucker them? I spaced mine at 2 feet center and 4 foot rows. Next year it will be 3 feet and 5 foot row for the larger type plants.

No need to wait till next year to smoke some YTB. I grew a bunch of it this year. A bunch. Here is a pic of YTB air cured in the barn.

015_resized.JPG

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
The spacing was based on grin data, so the plants are holding hands now. My data for this year will give me the spacing for next year when I do the 10x10 patch. The plants are still growing (some taller than me already) but I'd think the leaves won't pass 20" so 40" square plots per should be the final number. They droop at the bottom then stand erect at the top so that should leave room to tend them. Gorgeous leaf there! Looks good enough to smoke :)

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I'm good i bought some from FM, one of these days I gotta grow it out, but then again i feel that way about a few varieties and i keep growing the more esoteric ones.

I grew one last year that I wasnt a huge fan of (duale), this year it's a gorgeous light blond color after hanging on the stalk all year. People said wait to try it, it might be nice. Turns out it really is, more of a cigarette tobacco tho, it's very mild and aromatic. I ended up giving a bunch to a guy that I work with, he rolls his own and said its much better than the crap bulk he buys all by itself.

Well my plants really havent grown much more, but i was wondering, when you measure the height of your plants do you measure the stalk? i.e. if i top the plant and the leaves are always in the prayer position do i measure to the top of the leaf or just to the top of the stalk where the leaf connects to? it makes sense to just measure the stalk, but i've been measuring to the top of the green, i might have to revise my stalk heights. The leaves have not grown much more in size if at all, still around 9-10" wide by 16-19" long. I could probably start harvesting at the start of september, maybe the first 3 positions or so then, and the next 3 9/15, maybe leave tips a bit longer and start watching weather reports. None of the leaves have started browning on their own yet, but they are getting lighter in color and more rippled. I primed a few but they didnt snap crisp like celery so decided not to do any more. I have precious few enough as it is, i dont want to harvest until full potential is reached.

An absolute ton of buds have started getting hard, so barring some crazy act of theft or nature the available seed stock for this variety is about to go up exponentially in a few months. I'm also hoping one of you guys down south will do a grow out, I wonder if this would be (in another environment) like growing a large leaf rustica. Grin harvested at 50 days and had really potent leaf, but it was still a baby and not mature. I wonder what the numbers would have been had it been allowed to go the whole 90 days.

On a side note, when i was growing up my mom had a nicotiana bush, at night it would send the most heavenly scent around the yard. This smells the same but the amount of smell is really tiny, you need to get your nose right up in there to detect it. Kind of a shame tobacco doesnt make more scent. It's really pleasant.

leverhead

On a side note, when i was growing up my mom had a nicotiana bush, at night it would send the most heavenly scent around the yard. This smells the same but the amount of smell is really tiny, you need to get your nose right up in there to detect it. Kind of a shame tobacco doesnt make more scent. It's really pleasant.

Late in the season in the evenings here, after sunset but before dark. The humidity comes up and the wind stops, smoke from a cigarette just goes straight up. The Virginia's would smell real nice, not real strong but a nice finish to a day. Now they're just stalks I'm missing it already, if for no other reason I'm going to grow again next year.

You could try some of the ornamental variety's to round out your cool evenings, as I remember them.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
yeah i keep meaning to grow red russian out and just let it bush out naturally.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The ARS-GRIN "standard" measurement of plant height is to the top of the stalk, for topped plants, and to the bottom of the "crowsfoot" for untopped plants. Keep in mind, though, that the ARS-GRIN Observation data is from plants grown by non-agronomist chemists, and the numbers are often disparate and non-typical. I consider them a marginally helpful starting point.

Bob

Tom_in_TN

Smokes, there should be a good number of us wanting to grow this variety next season. Thanks for keeping good notes and observations on your grow because it will be valuable info. Like deluxestogie said, the GRIN data are off-base sometimes. So, if grown under different conditions then expect different results.

Hey, I still want to send you a sample of the YTB after it's finished air curing and even more-so now that you can do a comparison with the other leaf you bought. Heck, it's no strings attached. Just give us your opinion - good or bad.

Edit: well I guess if I'm asking for your opinion, then I guess there is a 'little' string attached. :D

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
well i just did my 3 week priming. all the muds were already gone so these would be the first 2 up from the bottom not counting the muds. lots more black sticky goo on these than the mud lugs. i havent had any rain in about 3 weeks and the plants are so sticky there are some dead house flies on the leaves that landed and couldnt get away.

leaves are yellowing slightly on the plant already, but nowhere near as impressive as that picture Don posted. My leaves you can tell are yellow if you put em next to a leaf that is less yellow lol.

i loaded em all into a box to start the real yellowing process. if anyone has issues with yellowing, i am a huge fan of this and glad i tried it, the rest of my mud lugs yellowed up real nice this way and are strung up swinging in a breeze as i type this.

awesome year so far, i really cant get over how much better the second year was compared to the first. deer ate my squash plant again last night but left the tobacco alone again. that's all i need, is for some walking steak to f up my whole season.

thanks for visiting my log :) next update will be next monday with the next set of primings, these should be the largest leaves the plant has on it. 11x20" MONSTERS! haha yeah well it's not the size that counts right? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.