Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

overflow idea - holes in the lawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
In the past I've amended holes in the garden for tobacco plants with great results at a fraction of the work of preparing the entire garden.

This year I'm going to put a bunch of excess plants in holes around the yard. I plan on only digging a 5 gal bucket sized hole to loosen it up and transplant there. I plan on using the weed eater nearby the plant and a push mower in between rows.

Based on last years lazy patch of just amending holes in the garden but otherwise leaving it alone I think this is worth a try. My tobacco was huge and healthy and even provided a sucker crop. This is a sidestep attempting something slightly different. I'm not worried about nutrient loss from the grass, I have miracle grow and am not afraid to use it;) and it'll target just the tobacco. Plus it'll be basically virgin soil. Spacing will be enough to mow right near the plant while it's young and again after I prime the bottom leaf.

I'll update with success or failure either way.

ChinaVoodoo

You'll be successful. My friend and I did that two years ago. Plants weren't huge--fertilizer was at a minimum, cool low lying valley with some shade, and water was inconsistent--but we ended up with more tobacco than we started with.

Gavroche

OK, thank you China, I think of making three spades of quoted(esteemed), and a length in the ground then mixed half compost half roams of the hole is it a good idea?

Ok, merci, je pense faire trois bêches de coté , et une longueur dans le sol puis mélangé moitié terreau moitié erre du trou...est ce une bonne idée ?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
How was the leaf quality? Did it stay thin? Did you wait 4-6 weeks after topping to harvest?

I figured someone had done this already but Google only returned 1 hit and it was someone's first grow and even then it didn't look terrible.

Another thought is to use a broad fork to loosen the soil and keep the grass layer intact but for a 6" or so hole with a pvc pipe collar to put the plant in without the sod. Keep the grass there so opportunistic weeds don't go nuts and the collar would allow weed eater to go right up to the plant.

Gavroche

But the earth(ground) is not too hard so that the tobacco grows well? Roots are going to have to fight. My earth(ground) is silica and clay!

Mais la terre n'est pas trop dure pour que le tabac pousse bien ?... les racines vont devoir lutter. Ma terre est silice et argile!

ChinaVoodoo

How was the leaf quality? Did it stay thin? Did you wait 4-6 weeks after topping to harvest?

I figured someone had done this already but Google only returned 1 hit and it was someone's first grow and even then it didn't look terrible.

Another thought is to use a broad fork to loosen the soil and keep the grass layer intact but for a 6" or so hole with a pvc pipe collar to put the plant in without the sod. Keep the grass there so opportunistic weeds don't go nuts and the collar would allow weed eater to go right up to the plant.

Plants never got very big. Leaves were thin. Quality was medium-low. Not too much ammonia. Now that it's a year and a half since picked, if kilned, it's good and I enjoy it. Since its thin, it needs to be made into flake, press-cake, or Cavendish to slow down the burn. MD 609 did the best, then Symbol 4, then Adonis. Harrow Velvet tastes good, and is mild, but lots of very small leaves. No big leaves.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Oh yeah. That's gonna work. MG will take care of the thinness I'm pretty sure, the stuff in the garden is too thick if anything, that pic gives me a lot of confidence in the overflow thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.