Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

No growth of seedlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I started my seeds about a month ago.
Seeds germinated in about 7 days, and were transplanted into individual cups with a commercial potting soil.
At transplant, the seedlings were in the 'cotyledon' leaf stage, i.e., just the initial 2 little leaves.

Now, a month later, still just these two little leaves, no indication of more growth, nor showing of the true leaves starting to form. What's there looks healthy, nice green color.
Plants were indoors, 70+ degrees daytime, 60+ degrees at night, under florescent light to start, after couple days, started direct sunlight outdoors at about 1/2 hour per day to now at 2+ hours per day.

What's going on? Why no growth of the plants? Do I start over. maybe with different potting soil?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
If they are a month old you can try some diluted liquid fertilizer. I had that problem once. Turned out is was the homemade potting "soil" that I made. The fertilizer I use says to use 1 tablespoon per gallon. I use 1 teaspoon. Do not use any fertilizer with UREA in it. At this stage it will kill all of your tobacco.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
You may or may not need to do anything special. The images below show the current state of some of my seedlings today. All were started 6-1/2 weeks ago. The first two images are of the same 1020 tray, so conditions are identical. The smallest ones are a different variety from the larger ones. The third image is from a different tray. There is plenty of time for all of them to grow up to be good citizens.

Garden20170413_2557_seedlings6.5wksA_400.jpg

Garden20170413_2558_seedlings6.5wksB_400.jpg

Garden20170413_2559_seedlings6.5wksC_400.jpg

The majority of my soil mix (2/3) is MiracleGro peat, so it does have fertilizer. I will make no changes or adjustments. I'm just waiting for them to grow.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

What I find interesting about the Piloto, which for me is much smaller than the rest, is that they have just as much root as the others.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
What I find interesting about the Piloto, which for me is much smaller than the rest, is that they have just as much root as the others.
That teeny tiny one in the photo is Dutch (Ohio), which was a fast grower last time. Different year, different runt seedlings.

Root growth doesn't make the headlines, and isn't particularly photogenic.

The more years I grow, the less concerned I become with variations. Usually, the less I fuss over them, the better they come out.

Bob

Gavroche

I believe that two sheets(leaves) for the transplantation is too young, they are not the real sheets(leaves). I wait for four sheets(leaves). The plant is stronger.

je crois que deux feuilles pour la transplantation est trop jeune,ce ne sont pas de vraies feuilles. J'attends quatre feuilles. La plante est plus forte.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
Yea ! Finally got true leaves setting on.
I gave them a 1/3 dose of Miracle-Gro for tomato, and got them outside for a good dose of sunshine.
Up until the last week+, weather here has been too cool & rainy to set them outside, could have counted the number of clear days on one hand. IMHO, getting sunshine had more to do with growth than the fertilizer.

MichaelSanders

I think the problem is the floro lights. During the day bring em out in the sun. At night bring em back in. Floro lights imop are worthless.
Tobacco is a sun loving plant, go full sun all the time after they sprout! You can't go wrong.

greenmonster714

I think the problem is the floro lights. During the day bring em out in the sun. At night bring em back in. Floro lights imop are worthless.
Tobacco is a sun loving plant, go full sun all the time after they sprout! You can't go wrong.

Tobacco does like sun but any young seedling can be damaged by direct sunlight. Indoor lamps are very effective. You have more control over the environment inside. You can control everything needed for rapid growth.

Fluorescent lamps do very well for young plants. You just have to make sure your using enough lumens to provide proper growth. I use old 4' shop lamps with the two bulbs in each.Wattage is not really what you need when using indoor lamps. It is the lumens per square foot your looking for. Ideally you want at least 2000lumens psf at a minimum for young plant growth with the top end up to 7000 (Width x Depth = Square feet. Divide the lumens available by your square footage. This will give you lumens per square foot). Even if your a little short on the lumes its okay because you can get very close to the plants with the fluorescent lamp. They will respond nicely.

ChinaVoodoo

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. The angle of the sun, cloud cover, and the temperature are all variables which someone should take into consideration before taking your advice. My T5 fluorescent bulbs are brighter than the sun at this latitude at this time of year, even on a sunny day.
Outside is too cold. Even the corner I have with two windows, one facing south, and another facing east doesn't grow plants of any type as well as the t5 lights.

greenmonster714

Those T5 lamps are really good. I had some years ago but somewhere in life they have disappeared like many things do. The old shop lamp with T8's do a pretty good job. I can't complain for the price.

Smokin Harley

my first grow i had the same exact thing happen with Connecticut Broadleaf. Never got more than that stage. Well, only 2 of the plants out of 3 plantings (out of nearly 30 total plants) did . Still not sure what happened . I'll try again sometime.

CT Tobaccoman

I know how it's done in Conn. Trays are set on tables or even on the floor of the greenhouse. Watered everyday with increasing amounts of fertilizer until water pours out onto floor and drains away. This is done 2-3 times a day. No artificial light, no gro lights. Temp not allowed to get below 65F. Seed placed in cells by machine but just very barely covered. Hope this helps. When seedlings emerge they are protected from direct sun by pulling cheesecloth over the roofs of the greenhouses and left there a couple weeks. Leaves are never clipped

CT Tobaccoman

I know how it's done in Conn. Trays are set on tables or even on the floor of the greenhouse. Watered everyday with increasing amounts of fertilizer until water pours out onto floor and drains away. This is done 2-3 times a day. No artificial light, no gro lights. Temp not allowed to get below 65F. Seed placed in cells by machine but just very barely covered. Hope this helps. When seedlings emerge they are protected from direct sun by pulling cheesecloth over the roofs of the greenhouses and left there a couple weeks. Leaves are never clipped
just dry potting soil, I mean. no float trays

Status
Not open for further replies.