Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Miracle Gro for seedlings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwaller

My seedling's growth appears to have slowed, so I decided to try a bit of fertilizer. I mixed 1 tsp per quart of water, which I added to the drip tray below my plants.
Later, I read somewhere that urea is toxic to tobacco plants. I believe Miracle Gro is about 20% urea. Should I dump the fertilizer water and try something else? Thanks!

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
It really depends on the age of your tobacco. I do not know how old tobacco has to be before it becomes immune to the toxic effects of urea but I know at about 1 month of age they will not fair well. But like everything else, the dose determines the poison.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I use a pinch in a spray bottle. Like jbd says though it's the dose that matters

mwaller

Ok, cool. Seedlings are about 2-3 weeks old. I will probably dump the excess water and try something different.

Brown Thumb

A fish tank air pump in the water tray will help stimulate root growth.

Gavroche

The amateurs always use too many products because they think that more products equal more efficiency it is an error the dose is marked on the flask, we have to respect her(it).

Les amateurs utilisent toujours trop de produits car ils pensent que plus de produits égal plus d'efficacité... c'est une erreur... la dose est marquée sur le flacon, on doit la respecter.

Smokin Harley

For "stuck" seedlings- SuperThrive ,low dose. Then miracle grow for tomatoes ,half strength. DO NOT USE high nitrogen. It may help to repot them into new starter soil. I have done this and usually they take off overnight.

Gavroche

I believed that the tobacco was greedy of nitrogen, thus it was necessary to give it to him(her) in the full tere plantation then nothing then to protect its qualities of good combustion

je croyais que le tabac était gourmand d’azote, donc il fallait lui en donner à la plantation pleine tere puis rien ensuite pour préserver ses qualités de bonne combustion

mwaller

I thinned my seedlings to 3-5 per cell. Dumped the Miracle Gro water and added a few drops of low-nitrogen cactus/succulent fert. They seem to be doing well.

mwaller

I read somewhere that some people add epsom salts to their seedling water if the plants look a bit yellow. Is this a good practice?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Adding Epsom salts is suggested on many gardening sites, and is practiced by a few members of this forum. I've tried it, and could not notice a difference in my seedling growth.

It's doubtful that magnesium deficiency is a common issue for tobacco starting soil. Magnesium does seem to have an effect on the absorption of available calcium.

I suppose that the one definitive thing that I can say about adding MgSO[sub]4[/sub] to seedling water is that if it is used in moderation, it causes no apparent harm.

Bob

EDIT: Here's a vaguely useful article on the use of Epsom salts in gardening: https://garden.org/learn/articles/view/68/

ChinaVoodoo

I read somewhere that some people add epsom salts to their seedling water if the plants look a bit yellow. Is this a good practice?

If I was house bound due to some unfortunate event and couldn't go to the store to get fertilizer, I would use a household nitrogen source, rather than Epsom salt. Pectin, or ammonia would do the trick. I haven't put any thought into dosage though.

Smokin Harley

When my seedlings got "stuck" I did better by transplanting them to new soil in cell packs. Revived overnight, growth took off like crazy. Not sure still what the cause was.

MichaelSanders

Im not much help on using chemicals but if you start with fertile black soil then youll do fine for awhile. I start my seeds in a glass cake pan with dark soil, then after the leaves are the size of a 4 leaf clover then I transplant them to a cell tray. I use a 288 cell tray from proptek. Its the stackable one made in the usa, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.