Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Can I press tobacco without kiln fermentation first

Status
Not open for further replies.

pukulsesuatu

Hi, Yesterday I tried to press Virginia tobacco, burley and oriental( result see picture) taste not bad all previously fermented tobacco first (kiln fermentation) .
63C8F217-CF28-4C2B-9918-ED6B5C2A13B3.jpg
I would like to ask it possible to press the tobacco before fermentation? if possible, how long take for pressing? I want making straight virginia but that tobacco not yet fermented.
thanks.

Smokin Harley

If it is color cured and in medium case , you should be able to press it and THEN kiln it to 120*F. OR you can press it and just wait longer ,like about 3 months.

Gavroche

Hi, Yesterday I tried to press Virginia tobacco, burley and oriental for pressing?
thanks.

how many press please ?..i think the press is important, Mac Baren 55 t on 5O cm X 50 cm

As for the perique, I think that it is necessary to make burst cells(units) to free(release) sugars

comme pour le perique, je pense qu'il faut faire éclater les cellules pour libérer les sucres

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
From the appearance of your press-cake, you are using plenty of pressure. Smokin Harley's recommendations sound good to me.

Bob

pukulsesuatu

If it is color cured and in medium case , you should be able to press it and THEN kiln it to 120*F. OR you can press it and just wait longer ,like about 3 months.

Thanks for Information, My tobacco already harvest and cured four year ago, when I trying directly smoking its still have little tongue bit. This My tobacco picture.

Attachments

• IMG_3711.jpg
    IMG_3711.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 37

Smokin Harley

Difficult to see the thickness of the press cake...you might need to break it up ,shuffle the leaf (maybe even add a wee bit of moisture)and re-press another month or so.

ChinaVoodoo

Hi, Yesterday I tried to press Virginia tobacco, burley and oriental( result see picture) taste not bad all previously fermented tobacco first (kiln fermentation) .
View attachment 20397
I would like to ask it possible to press the tobacco before fermentation? if possible, how long take for pressing? I want making straight virginia but that tobacco not yet fermented.
thanks.

Pukulsesuatu, I'd sure like to see some photos of your press.

Smokin Harley

Smokin Harley, are you saying that pressing tobacco speeds the aging process?

In a way ,yes. if its too dry it wont have the needed moisture for the (oh lets call it...) chemical breakdown of the leaf cells, or what is basically controlled composting. If you watch the tobacco processing they take the leaf hands ,moisten them (water or add something else?) lay them on top of one another in layers and under its own weight compresses the bale, they closely monitor temperature a few layers within the stacked bale and then when it reaches 120 or so repeat the entire unstack , moisten if necessary ,restack process bringing the inner layers out and the outer layers to the inside until the internal bale temperature stabilizes and then once that happens it goes to a long term storage for aging. The whole stack and shuffle process could take place 10 or more times. Very labor intensive. If they were to let it go unshuffled the center would overheat and they'd be left with compost. We try to recreate this temperature with our kilns. I'm not sure though that our forced temperature kilning does the same thing that the natural temperature created does (such as the Pilon) Tight monitoring of the internal temperature is key. Shuffle it too early and it will remain a little raw, leave too long and you'll get composted mulch.

pukulsesuatu

After pressing for around one mounth My tobacco getting soft. Today I starting try new presser using a pipe. IMG_20180212_202100.jpg . But I am worried about mold and fungi

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If you keep the tobacco under firm pressure, and maintain a slight seal of water around the top edge, you should not see mold. I have not tried playing music to my Perique.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.