Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Can I press tobacco without kiln fermentation first

Quote Originally Posted by pukulsesuatu View Post
    Hi, Yesterday I tried to press Virginia tobacco, burley and oriental( result see picture) taste not bad all previously fermented tobacco first (kiln fermentation) .
    Attachment 20397
    I would like to ask it possible to press the tobacco before fermentation? if possible, how long take for pressing? I want making straight virginia but that tobacco not yet fermented.
    thanks.
    Pukulsesuatu, I'd sure like to see some photos of your press.
    Now all them things that seemed so important, well mister they vanished right into the air - The Boss

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaVoodoo View Post
    Smokin Harley, are you saying that pressing tobacco speeds the aging process?
    In a way ,yes. if its too dry it wont have the needed moisture for the (oh lets call it...) chemical breakdown of the leaf cells, or what is basically controlled composting. If you watch the tobacco processing they take the leaf hands ,moisten them (water or add something else?) lay them on top of one another in layers and under its own weight compresses the bale, they closely monitor temperature a few layers within the stacked bale and then when it reaches 120 or so repeat the entire unstack , moisten if necessary ,restack process bringing the inner layers out and the outer layers to the inside until the internal bale temperature stabilizes and then once that happens it goes to a long term storage for aging. The whole stack and shuffle process could take place 10 or more times. Very labor intensive. If they were to let it go unshuffled the center would overheat and they'd be left with compost. We try to recreate this temperature with our kilns. I'm not sure though that our forced temperature kilning does the same thing that the natural temperature created does (such as the Pilon) Tight monitoring of the internal temperature is key. Shuffle it too early and it will remain a little raw, leave too long and you'll get composted mulch.
    "We make our own Whiskey and our own smoke too, aint too many things these ol' boys cain't do..." -A Country Boy Can Survive ,Hank Williams Jr.

Entubado...its how I roll

After pressing for around one mounth My tobacco getting soft. Today I starting try new presser using a pipe. IMG_20180212_202100.jpg . But I am worried about mold and fungi

If you keep the tobacco under firm pressure, and maintain a slight seal of water around the top edge, you should not see mold. I have not tried playing music to my Perique.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    If you keep the tobacco under firm pressure, and maintain a slight seal of water around the top edge, you should not see mold. I have not tried playing music to my Perique.

Bob
    Thanks Bob for your advice

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12