Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New Pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenmonster714

Well, its new to me. I bid $9.99 on this Large Carey Magic Inch when it had 5days left. My single bid won it. Man was I surprised. I had forgotten about it and got a email that said You Won..lol. I love it. This is my second large pipe. I like my small briars but the large pipes hold more and are a great for a long after dinner puff.
20170416_002736.jpg20170416_002803.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on your pipe smoking habits, you may or may not need a gazillion pipes. I seldom smoke a pipe during the warm months, since I'm usually outside with a cigar. So a single pipe would be sufficient.

During the winter, when I'm confined to smoking a pipe in my study, I may go through 10 or 15 pipes in a single day. So my gathering of about two dozen briar pipes barely allows them to fully dry, before coming full circle. (I also have maybe 7 cob pipes still left untouched in my Missouri Meerschaum bag of seconds. But many cobs have a relatively short lifespan.)

Regardless of all that math, pondering the purchase of a new pipe is always irrational and fun.

Bob

greenmonster714

Looks nice... but it also looks like it needs a good reaming.

I don't own a reamer yet. I like the cake build up...lol. If I can no longer get my index finger in the hole I'll use a straight blade and take a little out but only a little. I don't really like a clean reamed pipe like the ones are new or have been refurbished. I guess its just a personal preference.

I have the sickness too. Tell myself I wonder what estate pipes ebay has today, next thing I know I'm up to 12 kaywoodies! All for less than 10$ such a deal! Lol

I'm not really sure how many is to many. I think I have 8 now all together. Only two are of the larger size like the one above. I don't smoke in the house so if its raining or cold I don't get the opportunity to smoke much unless I use an umbrella or just bare the cold. Summer I have a pipe in my pocket all day cause I'm usually outside doing something. Ebay is a great place to pickup pipes and gear. Sometimes I get surprised when I put up a bid and forget about it. I'm working on getting a few cobs. I don't have any and a lot of folks swear by them so I gotta have at least a few.

Depending on your pipe smoking habits, you may or may not need a gazillion pipes. I seldom smoke a pipe during the warm months, since I'm usually outside with a cigar. So a single pipe would be sufficient.

During the winter, when I'm confined to smoking a pipe in my study, I may go through 10 or 15 pipes in a single day. So my gathering of about two dozen briar pipes barely allows them to fully dry, before coming full circle. (I also have maybe 7 cob pipes still left untouched in my Missouri Meerschaum bag of seconds. But many cobs have a relatively short lifespan.)

Regardless of all that math, pondering the purchase of a new pipe is always irrational and fun.

Bob

10-15 a day? Your one big cloud of smoke in the winter..lol. For the longest time I just used one pipe. Had to clean it often but it did the job for me. Since I've gathered a few now I do like to rotate them. Buying pipes is fun. One thing I'll never understand is why a person would pay hundreds of dollars for a chunk of hollowed out wood with a stem. Certainly not my style. Keep it simple and use free money to buy tobaccos I've not tried or more gear for my tobacco garden. Maybe I'm just cheap.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I used to sit out on my porch to smoke during the winter, regardless of the weather, unless it got below about 20ºF. But the circulation in my feet is not as happy as it used to be. After some nasty frostbite on the tip of one toe a few years ago, I decided that when the temp is below 40º, I would go inside. That does not include physical activity. It's just sitting on the porch with a computer on my lap that is a problem.

I've adopted some unorthodox methods of maintaining my pipes. Immediately after finishing a bowl of tobacco, and dumping the ash, I forcefully blow through the bit, while holding the pipe over a wastebasket (to catch any crud). Then I mop the bottom of the bowl with a Q-tip. This minimizes the accumulation of goo, and reduces the need for pipe cleaners. I buy 12" craft pipe cleaners from Walmart. (They're made of some synthetic fiber, but that has caused no problem over years of using them. And pulling 12" of cleaner through a bit really gets it clean.) I also have a steel rod roughly the diameter of the smoke hole, for clearing it when it gets clogged. I also have a very thin steel rod that I use for removing gooey bits from the smoke hole opening in the bowl.

I use the flattened end of a cheap pipe nail to keep carbon buildup under control, occasionally supplemented with my penknife. Some of my pipes date back to the early 1970s, and are still in prime condition. I even have a Missouri Meerschaum from 1971. When the bottom finally burned through, I spackled it with epoxy, and it's been happy ever since.

So pipes and pipe tobacco blending are mostly a winter thing for me. A cigar requires so much less fussing, and no cleaning. But a cigar makes the house stink, so I won't smoke them indoors. (The smell of pipe tobacco in my study just reminds me of what university libraries used to smell like, back in the tobacco-friendly days.)

Bob

greenmonster714

Thanks for sharing that Bob. You gave me some ideas I'd like to copy from you. I grew up with a pipe smoking father but never really paid any attention to how he cared for them. I'm not the greatest at cleaning on a regular basis. If they start to gurgle I just blow'em out and keep rollin. I wouldn't say I am hard on my pipes I just tend to neglect them at times. I like your so called unorthodox approach. I'll have to try that on my collection.

I know what your saying about the convenience of a cigar but then again I find myself toting around a pipe anyways to smoke the stub all the way down to ash. Man, that really gives you a tongue bite too..lol. I kinda like that in a weird way.

Planter

I don't own a reamer yet.

I use a blunt knife, which will kind of sand the cake away, but not cut into the wood.

While I'm in some ways on the other end of the habit spectrum (I won't usually even come to 10 bowls a week) I think you can't have too many pipes, really.
I like spacious bowls for expanding loose cuts, narrow bowls for some strong flakes, I have a small-bowled churchwarden which I like for testing perfumed Orientals (although a Meerschaum would probably be even better?...), there's a mighty one which normally only gets to see McConnel's Maduro for some reason - although I don't really bother with pipe dedication anymore, but match a pipe, a tobacco and the situation according to taste and mood. Some pipes are lying (cleaned) in a box for half a year before I take them out again, and suddenly they become the instrument of choice for a while.

I like to keep them clean, but like with tobacco-specific dedication it's possible to become obsessed with that, too. Occasionally I'm visiting for leisure some pipe forums, and read there that people push one cleaner after another through the stem while they are smoking. If a tobacco smokes so wet that that's necessary, I don't bother with it anymore, if it bites or constantly smokes hot, I don't care for it. While I don't have a cigar often, the smokability of a decent one is for me in some ways the guiding star in pipe matters. It also narrows the seemingly endless tobacco choice down quite a bit.

I see the pipe as a sensual thing. Sure there's time for ponderings and informed decisions, but look what the world of wine has become in the last years, a hectic ninety-two-and-a-half-points rating algorithm. While the "best"-tasting wine may be in fact the one you drink on a mild summer evening after a long walk by the sea.

Charly

Just like Planter, I think you can't have too much pipes :)
(there's no need to have ten thousands either)

I like my pipes to be as "clean" as possible, I don't let the cake of carbon build up, I compare a pipe to a glass, I like to drink in clean glass, so I like to smoke in clean pipes :D
But each one has it's own preferences.
I don't have a reamer either, most of the time I simply use the spoon/knife of my "czech tool", and sometimes I use a tissue just humidified and turn it in the bowl, it makes the interior clean and smooth.
I use pipe cleaners in the stem too, most of the time only one per smoking session, to help dry the stem when I am done with my smoke.

Agree with you about the rating system (so higly subjective) in wine, tobacco, alcool and just about everything nowadays... which makes people stupid.... making them blinded followers of some "elite"...

Gavroche

there is a lot of snobbery today in the pipe, I see pipes in 4900 euros. But, but 300 euros it is too much how long of work to make them? Two hours, five, fifteen? It is necessary to know how to remain reasonable!

What is important it is the taste of the wood, not its sculpture!

Craftsman's pipe can be dearer(more expensive) than an industrial pipe but are needed limits.

I keep(guard) my very clean(appropriate) pipes(tips), cleaning in every smoking. With a wet cloth(rag) then with a dry cloth(rag).

il y a beaucoup de snobisme aujourd'hui dans la pipe, je vois des pipes à 4900 euros. mais, mais 300 euros c'est trop... combien de temps de travail pour les fabriquer ? deux heures, cinq, quinze ? il faut savoir rester raisonnable !

Ce qui est important c'est le gout du bois, pas sa sculpture !

Une pipe d'artisan peut etre plus chère qu'une pipe industrielle mais il faut des limites.

Je garde mes tuyaux très propres, nettoyage à chaque fumage. avec un chiffon humide puis avec un chiffon sec.

Charly

You are right Gavroche, and this is also true in other fields/domains : wine, cigars, alcools and many other things... :(
Money before anything else... money before humanity... That's the word we live in...

greenmonster714

Yes, I totally agree with you guys. When I smoked cigars pretty regular I would read some reviews. It seems that as the value of the cigar goes up the value and quantity of the adjectives does as well. I see the same thing with pipe tobacco reviews. Our society is has not change in thousands of years and nor will it ever. There's always that guy who has to have the biggest, baddest, most expensive model on the showroom floor. Then he has to let you know how much it was and where he got it. I really try to steer clear of them kinda folks. They tend to get on my nerves plus when cornered into a situation like that I may pull out a few adjectives they may not like to hear. I guess I'm just way to simple and laid back to give a damn what people think of my possessions.

Silverone858

I cant see myself paying 100$+ for a pipe. There's so many good estate pipes out there. I love how they seem to live on forever. I don't go crazy trying to get a extremely high polish or get every scratch out but I cut out the cake and smooth the stem and do a retort. Good enough for me. I'll put a thread together with my small collection.

greenmonster714

I cant see myself paying 100$+ for a pipe. There's so many good estate pipes out there. I love how they seem to live on forever. I don't go crazy trying to get a extremely high polish or get every scratch out but I cut out the cake and smooth the stem and do a retort. Good enough for me. I'll put a thread together with my small collection.

Totally agree with ya Geoff. I could by an estate pipe and a load of nice bulk tobacco with a hundred bucks. I'd like to see what ya got accumulated so far. I think my pipe count is up to eight so far. But as I speak my bid is winning... lol. I think I'll take it to ten and stop there. Yeah, right.

Silverone858

There's some really good looking 10$ kaywoodies on there ending this weekend lol. Just don't bid on the ones I'm bidding on hahaha!
I'm at 12 total and have told myself that is enough for now. I bought a 5 pipe lot and a couple singles and bam I have an even dozen. I like the stingers on the kaywoodie 3 or 4 does not matter. They are cheap enough to experiment with cleaning and refinishing. As soon as I get them all cleaned and fixed up I'll make a pic heavy post, don't expect them to be beautiful though I like all the battle scars, they are well seasoned and a few really show it.
Geoff

greenmonster714

There's some really good looking 10$ kaywoodies on there ending this weekend lol. Just don't bid on the ones I'm bidding on hahaha!
I'm at 12 total and have told myself that is enough for now. I bought a 5 pipe lot and a couple singles and bam I have an even dozen. I like the stingers on the kaywoodie 3 or 4 does not matter. They are cheap enough to experiment with cleaning and refinishing. As soon as I get them all cleaned and fixed up I'll make a pic heavy post, don't expect them to be beautiful though I like all the battle scars, they are well seasoned and a few really show it.
Geoff

My last post said I was up to eight. Well, the observant eyes of my wife said you've got that pipe rack filled up already. I said no I don't. There's two more slots left. I looked and damned if it aint full. Sad part is I'm the one that put all the pipes on the thing. Now what am I gonna do? I guess I need another rack..lol.

Ya know I don't think I own any of those kaywoodies. I see them on ebay all the time but haven't won one yet and I'm sure I've bid on a few. I've not ventured into fixing and cleaning up used pipes yet. I say yet because I am interested in doing it but for now I've got way to many things to gather this year to complete this grow and cure it. Like I said though. I would like to see your projects n stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.