Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Oriental and nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pecci

I had heard this is true, due to less nitrogen in the drier soils it is grown in. Can anyone verify this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
That's kind of tough to answer.... accurately.
There are studies that show it is the ammoniacal level of nitrogen that determines nicotine levels ( as opposed to nitrate nitrogen ) levels. But nicotine levels also increase as the plants mature, so if you harvest yours 3 weeks after budding and I harvest mine 5 weeks after budding, I'll have more nicotine than you. Additionally, leaf position plays a role too. I think with all tobaccos sub types you will find high and low nicotine levels. My personal experience with the few Turkish varieties I've smoked are that Black Sea Samsun-Canik and Bursa give me a good nicotine buzz, but Ottoman HY and Black Sea Samsun-Maden do not.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
In planting Orientals under the same soil/weather conditions as non-Oriental varieties, I can say with confidence that most Orientals come out milder and with lower nicotine levels than their non-Oriental cousins. The factors that JBD mentions do, of course, come into play. But all external factors being similar, most Oriental varieties intrinsically develop less nicotine. If they are not topped, the leaf nicotine is lower than in topped plants.

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I just did a quick check on about 80 varieties and the nicotine content run's from 0.00 to 46.6 mm per gram. The average is somewhere around 20.0 mm.

From what I've read, nicotine levels in tobacco is affected by temperature and available moisture. Hot dry growing seasons will produce a higher nicotine level than the same variety grown in a cool damp climate.

Pecci

I just did a quick check on about 80 varieties and the nicotine content run's from 0.00 to 46.6 mm per gram. The average is somewhere around 20.0 mm.

From what I've read, nicotine levels in tobacco is affected by temperature and available moisture. Hot dry growing seasons will produce a higher nicotine level than the same variety grown in a cool damp climate.

Thanks, guys. I had read somewhere that the the more arid grown baccy's yielded less Vitamin "N".

FmG - is the "nic amount" source you site above available in a link?

Status
Not open for further replies.