Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Anyone know what these seeds are?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

This is what they grow in Bulgaria so I am told.
These came from a customer that I know, brother that lives there.
He brought some back for me after fixing his car a yr. ago or more and we were chatting about growing tobacco and promised me some seed they grow there.
Dang it, I got to get the tiller out.
All he knows is it cigg Baccy?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 14

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I'm looking forward to seeing what they become. That pack looks like an off the shelf pack of seeds like home depot might sell. I wonder if tobacco growing is so common there it's a part of the normal spring seed selection

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
5107909.jpg

Gold in Krumovgrad : Tobacco. Photo by by erkan Semerdji. http://www.panoramio.com/photo/5107909

The back of the seed packet says, "Krumovgrad 58", which is apparently a Basma type Oriental.

http://www.aeret.eu/allomanyok/user...iental/Variety_catalogue_Krumovgrad 58_BG.pdf
http://www.leaf-kg.com/en/inicio/8-krumovgrad-tobacco.html

So it sounds like an interesting Oriental to explore.

Bob

EDIT: I'm getting way too slow.

EDIT 2: I just noticed that Krumovgrad 58 is described as a "complicated hybrid". If it is an F1 hybrid, then seed from your planting of it will not breed true.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Good find . I like how the plant's don't produce sucker shoots . Leaves go all the way to the top and then flowers .
Have you started the seed yet ?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I find it curious that the documentation on Krumovgrad-58 states a "cone-shaped" plant, yet the photo clearly shows a columnar plant.

rainmax, do you know if the K-58 produces seed that breeds true?

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Pier,
You may be correct. Plant varieties labeled as F1 hybrids or F2 hybrids are clearly not stable, and their seed is not worth saving. But the term, "hybrid," (or "complicated hybrid") is not specifically different from every tobacco variety that exists. All of them are hybrids of other varieties, but they have been stabilized enough to be considered homozygous--their selfed seed will breed true.

The issue with Krumovgrad-58 is that it is explicitly described as a hybrid, but with no qualification of what that means.

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
As always Bob have a really good point..Two years ago I was pretty close to order some Krumovgrad#90 but decided to determine my order because of this message:"Dear Mr. Westin,it’s impossible to grow hybrid varieties from their own seeds, because all hybrids are male sterile and don’t produce seeds".I most say that If you really got some plant out of those seed I really think they are interesting even if they perhaps ain't what they should have been..

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

Brown Thumb

I wonder what kind of spacing, seems like a larger oriental :confused:
BB, says no suckers, COOL;)
Some Matcho and no Aphids. :)
Dont seem complicated to me. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.