Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Should I thin or transplant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwaller

My seedlings were thinned to 4-5 plants per cell about 1 week ago. They have continued to grow really well under fluorescent light, and are starting to crowd each other a bit. Should I thin them again to just one plant per cell, or should I try to transplant them into larger (4") pots?
I have a few seedlings that were transplanted during the last thinning, but they are about half the size of these because they receive only natural light. Larger pots will reduce the number of plants I can have under artificial light... what to do?
IMG_20170419_080828664_HDR.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If one plant per cell will provide you with enough seedlings for the size grow you've planned, then I would suggest just thinning them. They will grow much faster without the competition.

Bob

mwaller

Great, that's what I'll do. Can I just snip the other seedlings off at dirt level, or do I have to pull them?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Any that you can easily pull should be pulled. If a goner is entangled with the one you want to keep, then snip it off. The snipped ones have some potential to sprout from the roots. If you need extras (at least a few, for each variety), then transplant those.

Bob

greenmonster714

They are looking good mwaller. I thinned mine out just like Bob described. I ended up with a lot of extras but that's okay. If I need them they are there. I think next year I will stick with germinating in the tins and then transplanting to the single cells instead of starting half a dozen in a cell and then thinning. You'll really see a difference in growth big time.

mwaller

They are looking good mwaller. I thinned mine out just like Bob described. I ended up with a lot of extras but that's okay. If I need them they are there. I think next year I will stick with germinating in the tins and then transplanting to the single cells instead of starting half a dozen in a cell and then thinning. You'll really see a difference in growth big time.

What "Tins" are you referring to?

greenmonster714

What "Tins" are you referring to?

I used small disposable bread tins you find in the dollar store or wallyworld. There about a dollar for three or four. My grow log has pics of them. Just poke some holes in the bottom and throw in about a inch of soil. Worked good for me so I think I'll stick with it for next year.

mwaller

Ok, all cells are thinned to 1 plant per cell. In many cases, I didn't keep the largest plant because it had a spindly stalk. I tried to choose h the plant with the shortest, most study stem. I hope this was the right decision! In thinning, I noticed that there were big differences in root development that we're not apparent from the leaves above ground. Is there any way to judge root structure before pulling a seedling?

Smokin Harley

My seedlings were thinned to 4-5 plants per cell about 1 week ago. They have continued to grow really well under fluorescent light, and are starting to crowd each other a bit. Should I thin them again to just one plant per cell, or should I try to transplant them into larger (4") pots?
I have a few seedlings that were transplanted during the last thinning, but they are about half the size of these because they receive only natural light. Larger pots will reduce the number of plants I can have under artificial light... what to do?
View attachment 20452

Depending on the size of the cells ( I use the 72 cells per flat) I thin to 2 per cell . Let them grow another week and then thin to the strongest of those two. I've also transplanted to more cell packs (for my wrapper leaf plants) I figure if I have the room to grow them , I most certainly will.

Root growth can be stimulated by giving the plants a "haircut" with scissors. Just trim off half the length of the largest 2 leaves of each plant once they have achieved 3 sets of leaves or start to crowd over to the other plants. Do NOT compact the starter soil either so the roots have easier access to the space.

Status
Not open for further replies.