Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Lurking no more! Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverone858

Hello all, I'm Geoff from Santee California. I had been a cigarette smoker for 20+ years quit for 4 and now enjoy pipe and cigar. I'm interested in learning more about blending and finishing whole leaf. I mostly want to guarantee what goes into my body is healthy as possible in fact I may even attempt to grow a little!
Thanks for all the info!
Geoff

greenmonster714

Welcome the the forum Geoff. I too was a cigarette smoker for 35yrs. This Sept will be 7yrs since my last one. Best damn decision I ever made. Like you I switched over to alternatives. I turned to snuff first and then on to vaping which turned into cigars and now a pipe. I do love a nice cigar now and then but the pipe is one that gets all the use nowadays. I just can't seem to get away from nicotine. Are you going to be growing a garden this year?

Silverone858

I'm afraid I won't be able to make it happen this year, at the moment I'm in a small condo, my hobby right now is trying as many blends as I can so I can find what I like most, otherwise I could end up with bags of old dry tobacco I'll have to toss out. Right now of all I have tried (not many maybe 20) I love love love this blend from my b&m liberty called entertainer. I asked for some of their popular bulk blends and its just awesome.
I never thought of growing but since I have been looking at this forum I'm thinking about it.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Geoff: You have for shore found your new home here at FTT.. The thing you ain't found here you might not found!You have a interesting hobby (like most people here), I think you do the right thing when you take your hobby step by step.It's always interesting to see new members taking place here at FTT (O yes it's funny to see the old members also).

ChinaVoodoo

Welcome to the forum Silverone. I highly recommend you check out the whole leaf from Whole Leaf Tobacco. The banners at the top will redirect you to the website. It's really worthwhile/fulfilling from a hobby perspective to process your whole leaf in various ways. And it's great tobacco. If I didn't grow, that's all I'd smoke to be honest. I smoke a pipe, and with an arsenal of their bright Virginia, red Virginia, burley, Izmir, and Latakia, you can create countless tasty blends.

No pressure though. Just saying. And welcome again, sir.

Silverone858

I am very excited to try WLT's offerings. And I will!
Really I wish I would have tried pipes while I was a heavy cigarette smoker, even just ryo. After 4 years with no tobacco I tried a cigar and not being able to finish it I picked up a couple mm cobs and about 10 estate kaywoodie pipes. I'll be making an order soon!
Thank you all for the warm welcome! And thank you for all the valuable information I'm finding on this forum!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Do check out the Index of Key Forum Threads: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3868-Key-threads-in-the-FTT-forum

[If you enter your general location (e.g. near San Diego) in your profile, forum members will love you more.]

The index includes threads on making your own Cavendish and Perique, which you can do even with leaf from WLT. It also lists some threads on pipe blending.

Smoking cigarettes and cigars requires no instruction. (Even 10 year olds can figure it out: light, puff, cough. Hope Mom doesn't notice the smell.) Pipe smoking, on the other hand, may seem arcane, especially if you grew up in a setting where nobody in your family ever smoked a pipe. Judging from the many tutorials on how to pack and smoke a pipe, I'm of the opinion that every new pipe should be accompanied by a "Quick Start" card, like a new modem.

You jumped right in with the pipe. The most fun I've ever had with tobacco is making a pipe blend that I love.

My favorite pipe blending leaf from http://wholeleaftobacco.com are:
  • Lemon Virginia
  • Red Virginia
  • their Oriental du jour (Izmir or Prilep)
  • Latakia (essential for English/Balkan mixtures)
  • Dark Air Cured (as a minor condiment)
  • sometimes burley

Bob

Silverone858

Thank you, yes I had a little trouble with the captcha when registering, I don't know why it kept kicking me out when I was picking all pictures with a store front or mountain or river but I'm sure it was my phone. Anyway I had to start over and didn't get some info back in there. Hahaha.

Well I liked the cigars I've tried but they don't taste the same if you relight the next day. Standing around socializing with a drink and nothing to smoke is no fun, so I tried a pipe. My first 2 blends I tried we're off the shelf at my b&m, a Virginia blend and a Cavendish heavy aeromatic with a very light honey/vanilla taste plus great flavor. The Virginia in a mm cob bit the crap out of my tongue and It was a let down in flavor, the other was wonderful fantastic zero bite. The cob sucked though, so I found kaywoodie estate pipes under 10$ all day on ebay and each one is different and smokes different. This is when I realized I had a new hobby on my hands.

Actually I did a Google search for how to make cavendish and that was the first time I came across this site, being that Cavendish is so processed I would rather make it myself and then I know what is in it. I'm also interested in making twists and cakes and putting away some to age. How cool would it be to share a blend I made and aged for years with my sons, especially with the pipes I have been restoring some already 30+ years old.

So you caught me in a story telling mood, I'm smoking a bowl of entertainer from liberty Tobacco in san diego and trying to relax now that the boys are in bed.

I will enjoy the heck out of making my own blends one thing I'm excited about is having a large pool of different tobacco leafs to try, which brings up a question from the wlt store and a thread where you mentioned that you were thinking about putting together a sample pack for pipe smokers in 1/2 lb increments, I would be interested in this. Although I'm sure I'll use up a whole lb of Virginias and burleys.

I truly wish I found pipe smoking before cigarettes I also could have saved quite a bit of money too.
Thank you again for the warm welcome!
Geoff

Last edited:

greenmonster714

Thank you, yes I had a little trouble with the captcha when registering, I don't know why it kept kicking me out when I was picking all pictures with a store front or mountain or river but I'm sure it was my phone. Anyway I had to start over and didn't get some info back in there. Hahaha.

I absolutely hate captcha. Sometimes it has kept me from joining or registering at a web site. I'd rather see a message saying...send a note to the moderator/owner/business and we will verify. I've had some sites make me feel illiterate and retarded at the same time. ImeAnHowDiffICultIsitToFoLlowSiMplEText???????

Welcome again Geoff. Your gonna like it here. Before you know it your gonna have a few tobacco plants growing on your porch...:) Or an allotment going to WLT.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
CAPTCHA test whether or not you are human. So...which of you were having trouble with that?

Seriously, CAPTCHA is always troublesome. (I don't know what Don's tech guy chose, since I've been a member before the CAPTCHA days.) But without CAPTCHA, forums instantly become overwhelmed with bot crap.

Bob

greenmonster714

CAPTCHA test whether or not you are human. So...which of you were having trouble with that?

Seriously, CAPTCHA is always troublesome. (I don't know what Don's tech guy chose, since I've been a member before the CAPTCHA days.) But without CAPTCHA, forums instantly become overwhelmed with bot crap.

Bob

Yeah, I know they are there to stop the bots. Just frustrating at times when you know you have matched it exactly and it keeps prompting you that it wrong.

burge

You can't go wrong with Don even better when he has a sale. By the time you figure in the costs involved again fermenting etc. yourt at the same price point anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.